The call is HERE!

 September 15, 2020: 

Our day started pretty much as normal as it could given the current pandemic covid-19 madness that is still taking place. Christian got up and got himself ready and headed out the door. Brooklyn got moving and breakfast going. as time drew near for her to leave for school she started to complain that her stomach was really hurting. I pushed it aside thinking it was anxiety that we have been dealing with since middle school started so I sent her off. but then i was 'off'..I normally hit the treadmill as soon as she leaves but I couldn't bring myself to want to go downstairs. so I lingered and read a little of the Doctrine and Covenants thinking maybe that would help to propel me into my day starting. Kaitlyn soon made an appearance into the kitchen and got herself some breakfast started but she seemed 'off' as well. she said she really didn't want to go to work, she would rather just stay home and hang out. this is so not like her! She normally gets up and gets moving and heads out the door no worries. It was then that I had this overwhelming feeling of 'today is the day'...

Kaitlyn headed out the door and as soon as the mudroom door closed behind her the tears welled up in my eyes. I knew that today would be the day we would find out where she was headed on her mission. She had submitted her papers on the 4th of September. It had been 10 days and our morning was off in so many ways that it only made sense. So, I read a little more and pretty much paced the floors, still avoiding the normal of going down to a treadmill. (which in hindsight would have made the most sense to help ease the anxiety but let's be honest, we aren't always thinking those kinds of things when you anticipate big huge things like this right?!)

I sent Brittan a text at 9:30am asking him what time he received his infamous text – It’s how you find out now that your call is ready to view. They don't mail it anymore. Crazy!!! his reply was 'now'. At first it didn't resonate that he meant she had received hers just then. but then I got a text from Tyler that said 'it's here' and I knew, and the tears wouldn't stop pouring out of my eyes. I immediately headed down to the treadmill and ran and prayed harder than ever before. I waited to hear footsteps up in the kitchen that would be followed down the stairs to see Kaitlyn standing beside me. She was glowing. She was excited. I got off the treadmill and hugged her as tears continued to flow out of my now super swollen, red, and puffy eyes. I asked her what her plan was and she said she would head to the temple and then would like to come home to read it to me and to Tyler. I hugged her again and she was out the door. I finished up a quick workout and headed upstairs to take inventory. 

I started cleaning, got cookies out of the freezer that my good friend Natalie had made for just this occasion, and I waited. And then Kaitlyn walked in the door. Her eyes were now red, swollen, and puffy, but she was so happy that it was hard to not want to press her for the information! I waited, and waited, and seriously waited for Tyler to show up so that she could share her good news with us.

Kaitlyn has been called to serve in the Brazil, Recife North mission. She is going to teach the Gospel in the Portuguese language and is to report to the Brazil MTC on January 13, 2021. This is a beautiful town right on the coast and from what we can gather off of the Google searches and internet web, very friendly people which helps to make it a successful mission. Her mission president and his wife are from Riverton (just 15 minutes from us actually) and their home ward is right by Petersen Farms. 

I am so hopeful that Covid ends and that she is able to go to Brazil as stated in her call. I am hopeful that she won't have to be re-assigned like so many others have had to do. We have a lot of work to do now as we prepare and lots of checklists to get taken care of (and let’s be honest, I do love a good to do list that we get to mark off) but mostly we have a shortened window of time that we have as a family of 5 to spend together, to make memories, and to fill buckets. And I am excited to fill those buckets. 

Some pictures for now...

This is how missionaries find our their call is ready. No more waiting for a letter in the mail. They get a text message sent directly to their cell phone!
We had this our for people to guess where she would be going. If you look close, Brooklyn pretty much nailed it!
Kaitlyn's mission scriptures. This cover was ordered and given to her by me and Tyler.
Cookies for our guests to munch on while we all waited in anticipation. Thanks to a dear friend, Natalie, for making these to match her 'guessing map'
Kaitlyn and her BFF Brynlee
Kaitlyn and Brittan
Brooklyn, Kaitlyn, and Christian
Kaitlyn, Mom, and Tyler
Brazil Flag
One of the first images you come to when you Google her mission
Map of her mission
Another Google image of her mission
The temple in her mission. I LOVE that she will have access to a temple!

We all knew this day was coming and I think we are all excited to see what this next chapter brings, however, as a Mom I don't know how to process all the feelings that have come to the surface. I swear I just brought this sweet pink little bundle home and now here I am getting ready to send her off onto an adventure full of unknowns. Hold on tight...this is going to be quite the ride.


Xoxo,

Missionary Momma

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom