Hello Sunshine

 With Corona raging all Summer (heck, all year) we have tried to get to Hawaii on quite a few attempts. We tried to take Kaitlyn to Kauai for a Senior trip but it closed down to visitors and remained that way all Summer. We finally saw a break where they were opening up but you had to do a few things in order to "pass inspection" if you will. We had to register each of us on a Hawaii travel website, we had to schedule 4 days in advance of flying a rapid Corona virus test at a WalGreens location, we had to then go take that test within 72 hours of our last flight that was to leave the mainland (apparently the test results are only good for that long or they just think that if we test within those time parameters we can't bring it with us to the Island??), we then had to wait for our results, and finally we had to upload the results showing that we did not have the virus. Tyler was hunting and so the kids and I joined forces on computers and laptops to get our test scheduled. 

We arrived to WalGreens unsure of what to expect as far as a test was concerned. We all saw and had heard of those who had the swab that essentially goes into your brain but these were simple enough. We all took our turn to swab our own noses and then we headed off to wait for the results. Thankfully, we all passed and we readied ourselves by packing and getting ready for some Maui sunshine and Hawaii beaches!

Waiting in SLC for our flight to head to Oakland first and then to Maui
Kaitlyn (& Brooklyn) peeking through seats on the plane

Right now you have to wear a mask while you are on the airplane. The whole flight. Unless you are actively eating or drinking. Even though we all had a negative Corona test. It is wild. And masks are not great. I was actively drinking and/or eating a LOT on this trip! 

It's not Hawaii unless you have a Jeep...so Jeep we do. WE MADE IT!

Tyler and I asked each day what the kids wanted to do or if there was something specific they wanted to be sure to do while we were there but they just said they really wanted beach time. They wanted to snorkel and they wanted to just relax. I think the whole pool project in the backyard all Summer and not knowing what to expect with each day when it comes to life dealing with Corona, we were all ready to just relax. So relax we did.

The beaches of Maui...crashing waves and ocean so blue
I wish I knew what was being discussed by the 3 of them. But I love that you can see the attention being paid and given to Brooklyn that shows they are engaged and interested
Big Beach for a sunset. These three...I hope they stay close forever
Much relaxing took place. Kaitlyn reading was a view I took in a lot on this trip
A view from the condo. Blue skies and palm trees

On our trip to Big Beach for the sunset Tyler was playing in the water and he coaxed Kaitlyn to join him. Big Beach is known for massive crashing waves so we have always been apprehensive to let the kids really 'play' in the water there. Tyler thought though that this evening was fine to let them get in. So Kaitlyn, who is always up for an adventure of pretty much any nature, was all in. And the waves were awesome. I watched from the beach in my chair and loved every minute of the giggles that bounced off the waves to my ears. I love love watching and listening to Kaitlyn and Tyler. Their relationship at times drives me nuts with the bantering and teasing but usually they are laughing together and creating a trust barrier like nothing I have ever seen before. 

As the waves continued to crash down, these two were joined by Christian as well. They all three tried to body surf and ride the waves and they were able to get some of them. But then Kaitlyn came up and said "MOM! Look at this!"

To say she got 'rolled' is an understatement...this girl had sand EVERYWHERE. Literally.
I am sure that she still has sand in her hair...this is no small feat to get this amount washed out
Sand everywhere. On her face, in her ears, her eyelashes and eyebrows, in her hair, and every other crevice it possibly could find its way into

She smiled and loved every minute of it but the shower that evening was hilarious. I am certain her scalp has never been so exfoliated in her life. I love that even though she knows the waves at Big Beach are sketchy, she still took them on and tackled them. All with a great attitude and a smile on her face.

Our days were simple, they were slow, they were laid back, and nice to just listen to the kids talk and spend time together. I am quickly realizing how fast time goes. How little time you actually have as a parent before your kids move onto the next phases of life. And I want to bottle up what little of that time I have left.

Kaitlyn's henna tattoo...the ink on this was DARK! They used a gel this time and it's the way to go. They lasted clear to after when we got home even. 
The Banyan Tree in Lahaina was all decorated for Christmas. This is THE coolest tree ever and it was fun to see the lights in it for Christmas.
Dinner with these three at Kimo's. Sun kissed faces, tired eyes, and worth every second (& $$$ that was spent too)
The three boogie boarders hanging out in the ocean because there were no waves to ride. I could hear their chatter and laughter bouncing off the water and coming back to me. They really do have the best friendships
Tyler reading a book but also, this view is just what a brain and heart needed
A sunset to close out the trip

It should be noted that it was on this trip and at breakfast one morning that we were all sitting while waiting for our food to arrive that Kaitlyn's sunburned face went stark white. She was on her phone and as I looked around at the kids and Tyler I could tell she was reading something. I just didn't know what. And then she put her phone on the table and I saw the color had drained from her face. An email had arrived. An email that said she was cleared to begin her VISA status for her upcoming mission to Brazil. There was a list of documents she needed to start compiling, some signatures, notaries, and apostilles that needed to happen. (I didn't even know what an Apostille document was so we both had lots to learn!) I tried to celebrate and I tried to hide tears. Thank goodness for sunglasses! 

This was our last trip as a family of 5 for sometime, heck maybe forever. Kaitlyn could be married before Christian returns from his mission so that party of 5 may never look this way again. I don't want to think about that right now. Right now I want to never forget the talks we have had, the walks to get food (remember that Taco Bell trip that was supposed to be just across the street that ended up being 2 miles away?!), the late night laughter in bedrooms, the time together in the ocean, and the imprint on my heart that these three are my everything. I never want to forget how tender it was to watch as Tyler got into the ocean to help with snorkel gear, to help get a bee stuck out of Kaitlyn's leg when she was on the beach playing in the sand with Brooklyn, to sit back and count my blessings that my Heavenly Father was not just mindful of me and my heart when He sent Tyler to my life but that He was mindful of these kids of mine as well. 

Back to cold and possible snow,

Missionary Momma





Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom