Day 1 as a Missionary
I think we all (and I mean ALL) woke up nice and early and excited to see what your day would unfold. I didn't sleep hardly at all and I imagine that was the case with Christian, Brooklyn, and even Tyler. You told me it took you forever to fall asleep. I am sure it was just apprehension on the unknown as well as excitement and nervousness.
Nonetheless, you started your classes and your day and I casually walked by and pressed my ear up to your bedroom door. I was in awe at the connection you clearly had with other members of your District right from the beginning. You were laughing and I could hear the smile in your voice. I was also amazed at how quickly they jumped right into Portuguese and getting you guys learning that. I just kept thinking that I was so glad you got a head start on Duolingo on your phone before you started your mission because wow !!! That would have overwhelmed me.
I clearly need to go and ask Kaitlyn who is who from top left to bottom right (we know that is our Kaitlyn) and get them documented, and I will I promise. But this is her home MTC district. Not a single one of them has her same call. Which is crazy and scary too. She will build these great relationships but may never actually run into them again. I hope that isn't the case. I hope you guys keep in touch for always.
As we sat at the dinner table tonight and ate Cafe Rio (I hope to one day like cooking again!) you shared with us your day. You talked of your District and the teachers you had. You talked about how they just shoved you right into learning and that there wasn't really a great 'get to know you' moment at all. You admitted it was a lot but you were GLOWING! You lit up our kitchen and I didn't even need to have any lights turned on. The Spirit you brought with you to that dinner table was downright rad.
You don't have a companion assigned to you and you are sure glad to know that your classes aren't really in Brazil Standard Time. That would mean you could have had some real early mornings since they are 4 hours ahead of us. An 8am class would be 4am here. And that would totally blow. I will not soon forget how tired you looked as you finished up dinner and sat at the table and chatted with us a little longer. I think you were as ready for family prayer tonight as anyone of us ever has been.
1 day down...a few more to go. But for now, we won't worry about counting down. Instead we will be so very grateful for the chance to have you home for now and to be able to learn from you each day. Good job on day 1. So so proud of you!
Missionary Momma
