Do your shins burn?

 Kaitlyn is a lover of going to Classic Skating and skating during the Disco Skating hours of 10pm-1am. She has been going for the last couple of years, usually at least once a month. Brittan has joined her on many of those times as well as Brynlee and Bryson. So when we asked her what she wanted to do on her last Saturday before her mission started she of course said she wanted to go to disco but that she wanted us ALL to join her. :/ I haven't been on skates of any sort in YEARS! But...we donned our best get ups and we headed out the door. 

When we got there we got in line to get our skates in our appropriate sizes and then found a bench in which to sit and place those tricky little contraptions on our feet and pretend as we headed off to the rink that we knew what we were doing. Let us not quickly forget however about the teenage boy who came wheeling in front of us while we waited for our skates and totally ate crap...HARD. I think both Tyler and I knew that no good was going to come out of this adventure but we were willing to give it our all.

Tyler in his skates and cowboy hat, posing for a picture but mostly holding onto that child ride so as not to fall on his face while just merely standing in those slipper and unruly skates on his feet!

As we stood and watched the teenagers on the skating rink, Brooklyn, Tyler, and I immediately re-thought our decision to join in on this. There were some serious skaters that were older than Tyler and I and pretty much bopped around like they belonged in a Jackson 5 music video. There were dumb teenagers trying to show off, there were ladies who were skating backwards, and then there was the three of us...not sure we wanted to even cross the carpet line and get onto the super waxed floor of the skating rink.

Brooklyn went first. Grabbed hold of the older kids and made her way one time around. She went down once and by the time she was safe back on the carpet she was good and didn't feel the need to try one more time. Next up..Tyler. I giggled so hard as I watched the cowboy hat move around, ever so slowly, the skating rink. Both Kaitlyn and Brynlee were careful with him and made sure he shuffled his way back to his safe spot next to me on the carpet. The first thing he said was "My shins are on fire!" to which I just smiled and said sorry. 

I hesitated and was so unsure of even wanting to take a hand of a teenager and make my way onto this slippery surface but finally I trusted Kaitlyn enough to do just that. I have never engaged every muscle in my body quite like I did in that moment. Seriously. My teeth were clenched giving me an immediate headache, my arms tight holding on for dear life, my upper body and core engaged so as not to fall on my face, and my legs and butt, and toes holding on for life because at any moments notice I was going to lose all faith and trust in the 4 orange wheels that were moving me about on this circular wax surface. But, I made it back to the carpet and declared I was ready to find my shoes and ditch those skates that I just clearly could not trust any longer. So we did. We found our shoes, watched the kids make a couple more spins, and then we bailed!

I told Tyler it would be fun to get some skates and practice in our garage at home and then go back. We could totally crush it and be the Jackson 5 video guys and have a great time. We just need new outfits and to learn how to skate. We'll have to see if we make our way back but at least Kaitlyn knows we love her enough to stay up way past our bedtime, make a fool of ourselves, and give her a reason to look back and smile at this evening.

The best "Disco" gear we could come up with at a moments notice. Next time will be WAY better.
Brynlee, Kaitlyn, and Bryson

My body aches,

Missionary Momma


Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom