Kaitlyn Farewell Talk

Kaitlyn was asked to speak on Sunday, January 10, 2020. This was the Sunday before she started the MTC experience. Our current Stake is the Herriman Utah South Stake and our current ward is the Rose Canyon 7th Ward.

                                             *********************************

Good Afternoon Brothers and Sisters, I’m excited to speak to you all today.  Bishop Thornell gave me a lot of wiggle room for this talk when he asked me to speak last week. He simply told me to talk about my testimony, conversion, something I’m passionate about, and or the gospel, so I decided to take my own creative liberties and talk to you guys about the joy that comes from gaining your own personal testimony.

Growing up I relied on my parents and their testimonies as many kids do I think, so huge shout outs to my parents for being so amazing. I was learning from them and observing what it meant to be a follower of  Christ, however I never felt confident enough in my testimony, I always felt like I fell short. As I got older I started to attend Seminary and really dug into the Book of Mormon on my own. I came to realize that my testimony was never inadequate, I just didn’t understand that I didn’t need to check off boxes of what my testimony was. Your testimony is yours and it’s confirmed to you by the Holy Ghost. In Alma chapter 5 verses 47 and 48 it says, “And moreover, I say unto you that it has thus been revealed unto me, that the words which have been spoken by our fathers are true, even so according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me, which is also by the manifestation of the Spirit of God. I say unto you, that I know of myself that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, is true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is he that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.” There is great power in testimonies and I think that’s my favorite thing about testimonies; they are ours so they are never wrong and they carry so much power in them. Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson said in her talk, “Do I Believe?” that our church makes a lot of claims, and if you think about it, we really do. We claim our church is restored for these latter days, we claim the power of the priesthood, and through that power we can be sealed together forever as families. It’s a lot in all reality. However, she goes on to ask if we believe these things just because we’re told them or do we truly believe them? Her answer? She says, “To believe, we need to get the gospel from our heads into our hearts!” She continues to speak on true conversion and what it means  to fully believe and build our own testimony. I love what she says, she says, “True conversion is a process that takes place over a period of time and involves a willingness to exercise faith.” With our willingness and patience of course, we are able to build our own personal testimony.

Through gaining our own personal testimony we can find joy. The dictionary definition of joy is as follows; ‘a feeling of great pleasure and happiness’ If you look in the topical guide, it says to also see topics such as ‘cheerful’, ‘delight’, ‘gladness’, ‘happiness’, and ‘pleasure’. In short, joy is the overwhelming feeling of happiness. When you have your own testimony and you aren't relying on anyone else’s anymore and you realize the power your testimony holds, you can unlock the happiness it brings. For me, my testimony brings me joy in knowing that the church has been restored and that there is an amazing Plan set up for us. For you, your joy may be different, but that’s what makes joy from our testimonies so great, it’s personal just like our testimony, there is no right or wrong answer.  In 2 Nephi chapter 22 verses 2 and 3 it says, “ Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation. Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.” Chapter 22 is only 6 verses and yet it is full of joy and happiness, short, sweet, and simple. When we focus our testimony on Christ and strive to strengthen it, we can receive the many blessings of happiness and overall joy. President Russel M. Nelson said it best when he said, “The joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives.”

2020 was a crazy unexpected year for all of us let’s be honest! However, we could have chosen one of two options; we could have been bitter about all the things that we missed out on or we could have chosen to see growing opportunities and find joy in the small things. In Thomas S. Monson’s talk “Finding Joy in the Journey” from the October 2008 General Conference, I highly recommend giving that a read, he says, “Some changes are welcome; some are not, Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows.” He closes with I think the most beautiful sentiment, he says, “It is my sincere prayer that we may adapt to the changes in our lives, that we may realize what is most important, that we may express our gratitude always and thus find joy in the journey.” Brothers and Sisters, we all have the choice to strengthen our testimonies and draw closer to Him. So why would we not choose to find joy through the journey and our testimony?  I want to share my love of the gospel and the joy that I’ve found with those who have yet to discover that, but mostly I want to strengthen my testimony and grow closer to my Savior. I hope to do that on my mission, wherever the Lord takes me! I challenge all of you to choose to find joy from your own personal testimonies, and if you have yet to find your testimony, I challenge you to do that as well. I hope that whatever this upcoming year brings, you can hold on to your faith no matter the circumstance and strengthen your testimony. This gospel has truly been restored for these latter days, and I know that our prophet receives revelation from our loving Heavenly Father. I know that if we choose to come unto Him, we will be strengthened and find overwhelming happiness and joy. I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom