Toss that axe!
I have decided that when you have a mission call in your house, you start preparing and it seems like you have quite some time to get affairs in order. All good. I can handle a good to do list and I actually really like having a set of tasks that I need to work on.
But what isn't on that to do list is the feeling as though you have been given a diagnosis of your child that is going to serve a mission that is a diagnosis of a death sentence. You have a small window of time left with that child. You need to cherish moments, take pictures, and make memories that will literally last a lifetime. All things that I would imagine play out in any persons head who has been given a reality of a diagnosis that is life ending. Now, I know this isn't a death sentence with Kaitlyn choosing to serve a mission, but all the feelings of what I wanted to do to make these last moments count...totally a death sentence feeling.
So...as we enter into our last weekend with her home and without any missionary restrictions/standards in play we decided to make the most of it. We filled up our calendar with activities that we could do as a family.
First up...Axe throwing. For the record...this is SO much harder than you think! We all walked in and watched as others were tossing the axe and it was hitting the target no problem. Us, notsomuch. We all tossed and it bounced off the floor, off the target, and sometimes off the other side of the section we were in. But we all eventually figured it out and we spent an hour cheering one another on and laughing and dodging as we took cover for someone else's axe coming our way!
![]() |
| Kaitlyn and Christian lined up and ready to toss...it was probably the horrible ugly blue Y above us that made us all not so great now that I think about it! |
![]() |
| Tyler and Kaitlyn tapping axes before their duel (which by the way, neither of them struck the target!) |
![]() |
| Party of 5...the family that tosses axes together stays together (or else you fear an axe will be headed your way right?!) |
After we burned plenty of calories we headed off to the Leatherby's for some over the top, way too big, and never going to finish ice cream. The kids all surprised me and ate almost all of their choices even. I just moved hot fudge around on my plate so I could linger in the moment of just us knowing that as soon as we got home each of these kids would go separate ways. (Which by the way they did)
Our days are getting shorter,
Missionary Momma


