Detroit to Boston

I feel like I have had to wait for FOREVER for your text to come in saying you arrived but I was happy to hear that you made it! It was a brief text but I will take it. :) Glad you are safe and now we wait for you to arrive in Boston. I wonder what you will do on this layover and I pray you will find something to eat. Maybe rest your eyes a little. Something for yourself. It's been a long early morning. My letter to you as you waited for your next leg of your flight was as follows:

February 23, 2021

Kaitlyn!

You made it to Detroit. Kind of a crappy city to fly into. Be glad you don’t have to go out and explore it. Not even kidding. Not one of the cooler places in America. Ha ha ha.

How was your flight? Did you do well with your seat companion? Did you close your eyes at all? How is your mindset? I want you to take a minute and just remember to breathe. You have never flown to Detroit and I imagine you have navigated through the airport just fine. I have total faith that you have learned from our travelling experiences that you don’t even hesitate for a minute with how to maneuver around an unknown airport. Did you get something to eat?  You need to make sure you do. And don’t forget to grab something to drink too. (I put some $ on your fun card for you so don’t worry about spending it okay?) A Sprite will help ease any nerves and make sure you EAT!!!

Now…you are on your last leg before you arrive to Boston. I cannot imagine the butterflies in your stomach. Do you actually have them? I have always been jealous that you don’t appear to get too nervous in unknown environments. I would be a hot mess sitting in your shoes at 19 years old but you continue to impress me as you just take it minute by minute not letting it get to you. 😊 Maybe one day I will finally get to be like you in this kind of situation.

The kids chose not to go to school today. I am sure you expected that. They both said they wanted to just come home and take in the experience of the day. They wanted to be sure to remember it as well and not have it muddied with school. And let’s be honest, a free day plus tiredness was really intriguing and they would have been crazy in my mind to have gone! I want you to remember today too. I want you to jot down a couple of thoughts you have (even if it is on the back of these papers) so you always have it.

Now, let’s chat about something funny and/or mindless if you will. Remember yesterday you had to get your brain swabbed in order to get a Covid test? How is your brain feeling? You still have an itch or tickle in your nose? I wish I would have recorded you getting that done for my own memory even if it wasn’t so great for you. And let’s not soon forget that you ended up with a bloody nose once we got home. :/

I want you to know how proud I am of you. I have watched as you have created a spot in this world for you. You have carved your way into someone who is comfortable, confident, and a joy to be around. You have a personality that draws people into you and I know without any sort of doubt that you are about to change a whole lotta peoples lives for the better. I remember when you were learning how to walk. You knew what you were wanting to do and boy did you give it heck trying to make it happen on try #1. You got frustrated and even without being able to use your words to express what it was that was making you so angry (even though I totally knew) you kept standing up and trying again. If I tried to help you by even offering my pinky finger, you would swat it away and tell me no. You wanted to do it on your own and you knew even back then that you were capable of more than what was presenting at that time.

Just like when you were growing up and trying to get your legs to work with your feet and your feet to work with the balance of your body, you continue to remind me that you don’t need my pinky finger as a support. You know I am there if you need me. You know I would be there is hot second to help make whatever it is you are trying to do or work on happen, but you know you are capable and able to make it happen. Never forget that you have been strong and determined since the time you were little. You always faced un-fun times head on and you have handled them so tastefully. Don’t let the little things in life suck up much of your time and/or thoughts. You know what needs to take your focus, never let anyone or anything change that.

You are a light to all of us and we are all here cheering you on. We are all excited to hear from you and will be counting down the hours until we are able to do so. We know you are going to be the best missionary and we know that there are people in Boston, and one day Brazil, waiting for your arrival. Never forget whose time and errand you are on. He will watch over and protect you in all things as long as you put your faith and trust in Him. Remember I am always here thinking of you and you will forever be in my prayers. If ever you need anything, I am a simple reach out away.

I love you so very much Kaitlyn and although I want to be selfish and keep you all to myself, I know you are making the best choice for you and these next few months will fly by and you will be home before both you and I will know it. Thank you for choosing me to be your Mom and thank you for letting me also be your friend. You will always be one of my very best friends. Always. I am so proud of you. Enjoy this next quick flight and before you know it… Boston!

I love you to the moon and back,

Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom