Email from Kaitlyn to Mom : Monday, April 12, 2021
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
To: Mom
Subject Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Whatta week! Thanks for your email too :) I really do
like getting them and staying up to date on what's going on ;) I've been
super busy so I haven't had a ton of time to take many pictures to put
in the drive but I promise I'll be better this week. Transfers felt a
little different too! I honestly feel like a just got here, but I've
already been here for 6 weeks?! How crazy is that?! Sister Pearson is
awesome and we get along really well. It's a little weird right now
because we both are used to having 4 sisters in an apartment instead of
just 2, but we're getting there. Not having the page is already so nice!
Haha! I loved the organization part of it, but I'm glad to be done ;)
We just have to make posts now and it's not terrible. Why did Josh put
his 2 weeks in? And why didn't Tracie just address his concerns so Tyler
didn't have to? The screen team had always been a bunch of bums let's
be honest. The amount of times Tyler would and still does go down there
is ridiculous. Sorry he was in one of those moods too, those always make
everyone just go 'okay and I won't be talking to you today' I'm sad Les
Miserables wasn't good! I actually had those songs in my head a few
times this week, I guess Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman can't be topped
;) Utah weather is the worst! It kind of does that here but it's been
really nice and sunny, the wind is just the kicker. That girl and
swimming! She's gonna turn into a fish by the time I come home haha! I'm
glad she's having a good time though. Sometimes I worry about her just
because she doesn't talk to Chrish like she does to me. I always have
loved the D&C and all the connections that are made. There's a movie
called Emma and Jane that I'm pretty sure talks about that girl you
read about. I'm sure you could find it at Deseret Book ;) People say
it's a good one! I can't imagine the faith people had back then, the
good Lord knew I couldn't make it and saved me for now because wowza! My
love for the scriptures has 100000% grown these past few months and
especially these past few days. I've found myself finding so much more
comfort in them then I have before. The lockdown here is a little bit
less intense but still intense. We have to wear masks, we can't knock,
we can't eat with members, really the only thing is that if the member
lives close we can walk with them to church. Our church building is
really just a warehouse too so that's kind of cool haha! But it's right
next door to the apartment complex so who knows. We try to get out of
the apartment as much as we can, but it's still all online. Liya is
still around?? I thought for sure that would break off sooner than
later? But I guess she's getting paid so, haha! How did the Braves do?
Do you think they'll have a good season? What the heck Christian?! What
is he even buying?! I actually really liked temple prep, maybe that will
humble him a little bit? The Davey's are awesome! I love them! How are
you feeling about Prom? The whole Aliana situation is a little weird not
gonna lie, but how are you feeling about it? I'm glad I had one good
suggestion haha! You'll have to send me pictures of prom! I love my
mission! Not gonna lie it feels a little weird to not be home, but it
also feels like this is exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. It's
been hard too, even though it's only been 3 months (ish) but I'm trying
to just throw myself into the work and make everyday count. There's a
quote that says something about 'Are you counting the days or making the
days count?' There have definitely been some times that I just wanna
sleep in or not call certain people but then I remember that quote and
that I'm a literal representative of Jesus Christ. He wouldn't take a
day off, He wouldn't just sit around and not talk to people. It's
different than anything I could have ever expected from my mission, but
I'm so grateful to be here and to do this :) And for the record, I think
you'd make a STELLAR missionary! ;) That's my little testimonial haha!
Anyways, 12 pounds?! Parabéns mom! Woot woot! You're absolutely killing
it!! I still can't get over Tyler haha! He's going to be a totally
different human this time next year. I'm glad he's doing it and feels
good about it. 30 days left?! I feel like they kinda just started
school, but also that they didn't haha! How do the kids really feel
about it? I imagine Brooklyn just wants to be done, but what about
Chrish? Is he getting nervous or anything, especially since he's leaving
pretty soon after that? I actually really liked my graduation, maybe
even more people will come to his who knows. That'd be way fun if you
guys could do stuff in the backyard. I was just thinking back to when we
did that for me and just how different our house is haha! It's come a
long way! ;) You need to enjoy the treadmill and all your TV show
watching for me ;) I miss the bike and Friends so much some days (well
really most days ;) I love you so so much! Okay okay, now onto this week
:)
MONDAY
And just like
that, my last pday here in Bridgeport is gone. It was actually so fun to
go see that lighthouse and the ocean. I miss adventures! I already told
you this so I won't bore you again but still haha! Tonight was a pretty
low-key night. Its been a little hard during prime pros because Sister
Wo has totally checked out. It's fine, it's just a little frustrating.
We did have a really awkward pass off lesson with Leona and the other
sisters tonight. We had to tell her we're leaving and she was super sad.
It seriously doesn't get any easier haha! It was a superrrrr late night
though. We had to write in Tchau Tchau books that the other sisters in
our district dropped off tonight. I started most of them but I had to
finish them later because it was seriously 11pm last I looked at the
clock. I hope you had a great rest of the day! I loved getting to talk
to you today, it's always a highlight of my week :) hopefully you didn't
freeze at the little pool party! You'll have to tell me how it went
with everyone! I love you and hope you have the best week! 
TUESDAY
Today
was probably the slowest day of my mission by far, but at the same time
not. Such a weird feeling! We finished writing in everyone's Tchau
Tchau Books this morning so the Elders could come and get them and
finish them up. We also started really packing this morning, well Sister
Wo did haha! I mostly had everything I just had a few things left.
Today we had to do all our last minute stuff before transfers tomorrow.
We got new page admins, figured out the SIM card situation, and figured
out our ads we make. It was a productive day, but also felt like I did
nothing. Julie's package came today too. She's was super sweet and sent
some lotion and a cute necklace and notebook. You'd be so proud too
mom! We also went and fed some birds apples today haha! Sister
Farnsworth and I have a goal to catch a bird, but we don't know how so
we thought this would work. It didn't haha! We just ended up throwing
bits of apples at the birds, but we were unsuccessful. I had my last
lesson with Elisangela tonight too. It really never gets any easier let
me just tell you. She was super sweet when we told her though and just
thanked us for all our help. The rest of the night was just making sure
we all had everything that we needed. Let me just say, Sister Wo has SO
much stuff! Haha! Like I thought Sister G had a lot of stuff, but I was
so wrong. We also had our last Charleston Cult door chat while the
Elders gave us our Tchau Tchau books back. It was actually kinda sad not
gonna lie. We ended up going to bed a little later than expected but it
was worth it just to talk and hangout with these sisters ;)
WEDNESDAY
Transfer
day! And guess what? I'm not even a newbie anymore, well I am but I'm
not haha! I really tried hard today to not cry but transfers suck! I was
doing so well too. Okay so we had transfers today and it started EARLY!
We all got ready and loaded up the car. We actually go straight through
Hartford Connecticut on the way to transfers so I got to see that
temple! It was so pretty with all the flowers and everything. It did
make me really miss temples though haha! We had a nice little photo
shoot and then got back in the car to keep on driving. When I saw that
we had 30 minutes left I started to get little butterflies not gonna
lie. I was just nervous and it was all hitting me that I was leaving and
my comfort zone from the past 6 weeks was gonna be shot down and out
the window. When we had 5 minutes left, Sister Farnsworth started to
play a sing that we listened to one of the very first times we got in
car together. That's really when the butterflies started to really make
themselves known and I had a few tears in my eyes. I just sucked them
back in because I didn't want to be a baby! Haha! But it was sad for a
minute. Sister Wo had to go to the bathroom when we got there (and we
were one of the first ones so it was a little awkward) but while I
waited for her my hands started to shake and go numb and I just prayed
right there. I felt like such a baby honestly. But when we got out of
the church, the amount of missionaries had doubled so we were able to
talk and mingle for a minute. We took our last fee pictures and then we
all went our separate ways. Muito triste! I got to meet my new
companion, Sister Pearson! She's super cool! We talked the whole 45
minute car ride and got to know eachother a little better and honestly
it carried over too so that's good :) We also live in a super boujee
apartment now! It used to be an old cotton mill and then a bowling alley
and now it's apartments haha! It is a little weird though because it's
just the two of us. The other sisters that were here left because their
area got absorbed by us now. That also means that I have a SIM card so
that's pretty cool. I'm super excited for this and to really practice my
português :) It's hard and a little awkward and I don't have other
sisters as a buffer but I'm gonna make it work! I did get to meet some
members tonight! That's a super cool thing here, they have an entire
branch of Português! The only thing is that it's a Creole/Centennial
Português not Brazilian, but it's super similar so I get it, I think
haha! The ward members seem super sweet though and they were excited
that I'm here :) The language makes me really nervous, but I want to
know it so bad so I'm really gonna try my hardest. It was a crazy day
and I still don't know how I feel but I'm excited :) I hope you had the
best day! I can't wait to hear all about your week! I love and miss you!
and your picture in the drive made my whole day!
THURSDAY
Not
gonna lie, it was really weird to sleep here and with just one sister
too. The morning was actually a little awkward because I didn't know
what to really say and I don't think Sister Pearson did either. We both
slowly came around but it definitely took a minute. I'm learning too
that Sister Wo did not train me very well because we didn't do half the
stuff we did this morning in comp study. It's okay though, I'm gonna
figure it out :) It's so weird too mom, I'm like shy right now because I
don't really know how to interact with her yet. The apartment is sooooo
quiet too, I'm just hoping that with time we'll get closer and it'll
work out good. Today was weekly planning day too. It's not my most
favorite thing ever, but it's definitely needed. We also got the other
sisters area book so there's a lot of friends to plan for. It's easily
triple my old area. I'm in a Português and English area though so that's
cool :) It was so nice today so we did weekly planning outside. It was
67 degrees and oh my gosh it felt so good! I miss just sitting outside.
Anyways, we did our weekly planning and I realized just how much I love
this work. Português is hard, but I love that I get to talk to people.
They had a few friends close to baptism too so I could potentially be
apart of that before the transfer is over! Anyways, as the day went on
it was less and less quiet so that was a true miracle! Sister Pearson is
a little quiet but she opened up a little bit more as the day went one.
We did a lot of contacting because of the whole area book situation
with the absorbing. We are always busy I'm learning so that's good! It
just is gonna take a minute I think because before we were not this
busy. It's good though! I'm super excited to get to meet everyone and
put a face to the names that I've been hearing haha! It honestly felt
like a long day but when I looked at the clock, it was already 3pm.
Mission time is super weird haha! ;) I'm not gonna lie to you, it's been
tough and I've only been here for like 2 days haha! But it's weird and
hard to not be sad sometimes, but it gets better as the day goes on. I
know I'm still pretty fresh, but I'm starting to understand the whole
thing when people say the mission is hard. I'm hoping that with time
this will start to become easier or go away. But this is not time for a
sob story ;) How are you?! How are the kids and Tyler? What do you have
planned for the rest of the week and weekend? I love and miss you so
much! 🥰
FRIDAY
Woot woot!
It's Friday! Actually this doesn't really mean anything to me anymore
but Fridays are always great:) I got your email too! I always love
getting them honestly haha! I just like to be in the know of what's
happening and u can already tell you that when I get to Brazil it's
gonna be weird to not have a phone to just read them haha! Today was
actually a really good and I'm so thankful! The morning was so pretty
and I even started my studies on Lilies today :) I didn't have time to
get very far because we have so many friends we're teaching and need
material. Nonetheless it was a good study:) The morning was a little
slow but it was still fairly busy. I love that we don't just sit here
with our thumbs up our butts haha! I had my first district counsel too!
Our district is about the same as it was before in Bridgeport but its
small for here. It was actually a good district counsel but there is one
elder that is just like Elder Philips from the CTM haha! We had a
handful of lessons planned tonight but unfortunately a lot of them fell
through. We had 2 memeber visits though and they both worked out! The
members here are so nice and really sweet. Honestly before I knew it, it
was already 9pm. I will say that I am more tired because we just go go
go haha! There's this lady named Sandra that I guess has been calling
the sisters here for 2 months every single night. While she was calling
us the ZL's called us and we had to tell them to wait because man this
lady can talk! It's sad though because she's been taught everything but
she won't read the Book of Mormon and she doesn't want to go to our
church. We know we have to drop her but she seriously calls every single
night and I guess if we don't answer she calls like 3 times and leaves
us a voice-mail. We'll have to see how that one plays out haha! Okay
kind of a funny story but like not really too. Sister Pearson and I are
totally beat okay? We both crawl into bed and we're out for the count.
All of a sudden both of our phones go OFF! We both wake up but there
isn't anything on our phones and we're both so confused. I genuinely
thought it was an alarm but when I looked at my phone it was 12:47am! We
both were just sitting there looking at our watches and eachother like
'what the heck?' Needless to say we both took a minute to try to figure
out what was going on and then we both went back to sleep. We found out
that the member we called last night, Odete, called us on Facebook and
that's what it was but it just didn't show up. We were both a little
upset to be woken up to early but now it's kinda funny haha! I love you!

SATURDAY
I
can't believe it's almost Monday! That also means I get to talk to you
soon woot woot! I'm so excited to hear all about your week :) Not gonna
lie this morning was a little rough haha! After the whole incident with
Odete, I kept waking up because I thought I was going to miss an alarm.
Let's just say my eyes were very sleepy during studies this morning ;)
One thing I really appreciate about being here and having Sister Pearson
is that I actually feel productive and we get everything done we're
supposed to. I was actually able to do a little bit more language study
today which I desperately need haha! It was such a beautiful day here
too mom! I just love spring! We're able to go on the roof here so we
headed up there today to make some contacts. Because I have a SIM it
goes by super quick and we're able to get a lot done because I can call
and text. Our areabook seriously has so many dots now because the other
sisters left and we took over. There is so many people too that I'm
slowly starting to get the hang of who is who. It also helps a ton that a
lot of them have Facebook haha! Mom guess what?! We had some really
good lessons, but my most favorite one is by far our lesson with Elba.
She's from the other sisters but tonight we were able to extend her a
baptism date! Woot woot! Obviously it's not like 'my' baptism but I get
to help prepare her! I'm so so so excited for her and to see her grow
and progress until May 1st ;) I also got to use my own life to help her
too amor. Her whole family is catholic and she's the only one that is
taking lessons and has the desire to be baptized. She felt like she was
being knocked down by them and she doesn't really feel the support from
them. Not gonna lie I was really nervous to even bring it up but somehow
I knew exactly what to tell her and how to help her. She responded
really well and actually seemed more at ease with all of it. I don't
know if I really helped a ton but I just told her that this is her
faith, not theirs and she needs to grow her faith for herself. It was a
super rad experience:) I'm even more motivated now to find someone for
myself and teach them from the beginning! Also, my language skills are
growing by the daily I feel like haha! Sister Pearson is seriously a
huge blessing in my life :) I'm excited for these next 6 weeks!
SUNDAY
My
first Sunday here in Pawtucket! Woot woot! After meeting another member
last night and having Elba's super rad lesson I was pumped to go to
church today! It was so great! I just love church and feeling the spirit
there :) I knew right as I walked in though that they would want me to
bear my testimony... sure enough that's exactly what happened! I was
sitting there and just so nervous haha! I've never done that before! I
walked up there and just said what I could. Fake it til you make it
right?;) The other thing that's super rad about this branch is there's
us and a set of Português elders AND the bishop is American but served
in Brazil. We had a meeting with him this morning and he's just as white
as me haha! He also extended to me and Sister Pearson callings in the
ward. So your daughter is now the Relief Society secretary in the
Central Falls PO ward haha! I don't really know what the means yet, but
I'll keep you posted ;) We had a lot of lessons this afternoon but they
all fell through so that was sad but we're hopeful that our lessons
tonight are good! Update: all of our lessons fell through so we did a
lot of Facebook finding haha! Sister Pearson and I actually had a little
dance party and tried to make the most of our time haha! She's actually
so cool and already such a blessing in my life :) I'm so so excited to
talk to you tomorrow! I love you!!