Monday April 5, 2021: Phone Call with Mom
I cannot believe it is Monday again already! Wahoo!!! I love starting my day off with a Facebook message from Kaitlyn and I love knowing the other two kids get to visit and chat with her too.
Kaitlyn LOVED General Conference! She said she has always loved it (which is very true, she has the most amazing notes on each session she has ever watched) and she said she loved that the questions she had written down prior to watching/listening were answered. And so many of them in the first session. She said they had a fun set up where they moved beds around and made a 'couch' if you will and then propped up a phone to watch it on. I guess you do what you have to right? :) She also said that the Spirit that she experienced while listening and watching was like nothing she has ever felt before and she attests that to being a missionary. What a sweet blessing!
Today we also chatted about her transfer and her feelings with that. She is looking forward to being in a Portuguese speaking area and she is getting a new companion, Sister Pearson. She talked about being tested in her patience right now with Sister Womack. Sister Womack is in the last 3 months of her mission and Kaitlyn spoke that it is starting to show. She just isn't as invested anymore and she is getting 'lazy'. She also said that over this last week little things really started to bother her with Sister Womack like the fact that she is a loud eater! I giggled out loud pretty hard at this because I know it is a HUGE pet peeve of Kaitlyn's. She also said that when it comes to missionary work, Sister Womack has become 'trunky'. There isn't much drive and so Kaitlyn said this is the first week that she hasn't really felt like a missionary. She says she feels much like it is just an apartment with roommates. Sister Womack knows they are leaving the area and so she doesn't see the value in putting forth the effort to still try and make contact with others or fill up some appointments. I cannot begin to imagine how hard this must be for Kaitlyn to work through! She seems in all, happy still nonetheless.
Kaitlyn talked about how she recognized this last week and as she listened to Conference that the badge she puts on is literally the badge that says to anyone who sees it (including herself) that she is a literal representative of the Savior Jesus Christ himself. She talked about the power she felt in knowing that and as she puts her name badge on each day how blessed she feels to be able to do so.
She also asked me if I had ever heard of "lily moments". I have not so she started to explain them to me. She first talked about some pictures of Christ where he is surrounded by lilies or where He is in a field of lilies. She said that another Sister brought this concept up to her and explained it as 'tender mercies'. Where is it in our own lives that we have experienced our own 'lily moment' because of the mercy of our Heavenly Father? I LOVED this so much! Kaitlyn said she was going to take some time this next week to study the scriptures to see how often lilies came up. I am stoked to see and hear what she discovers!
They don't have much on their agenda today. Sister Womack needs to run to Target to get some duct tape to put her suitcase together for the upcoming move/transfer and then maybe do some site seeing at a lighthouse. They also get pizza for dinner tonight because they won a contest within the district. Kaitlyn also learned that when you transfer you get a fun sticker from your companion to put on the back of your name badge so since she had to borrow one to give to Sister Womack, she was going to look at Target for a fun set of stickers for future use.
Kaitlyn got a sweet message from her new companion, Sister Pearson. Sister Pearson has been in the mission for 9 months and Central Falls is her original call. Kaitlyn is looking forward to being with her and hoping they are a good match because she is moving to a 2 Sister apartment and not 4. Sister Pearson wanted to check in with Kaitlyn to see what her favorite foods/treats are so that when she arrives they are there for her. I love that she thought of that! How sweet to already be looking out for your new companion and you haven't even met yet.
Sister G taught Kaitlyn a new way to pack her suitcase. She was putting some stuff in her suitcase while I was on the phone with her and I won't lie, totally impressed. Sister G taught some folding miracle where you item becomes a package almost. All tucked in together. Genius. This will definitely be something I am going to have to learn when she comes home! Thanks so much Sister G!!
All in all, she is good. She is a little apprehensive about her transfer but I think mostly because it is the first. She says that everyone keeps telling her "if you can get to your first transfer you will be fine" and she says she totally believes that. It is crazy that this time next week she will be just 1 day shy of being on her mission for 3 months! I am certain once she meets Sister Pearson and they spend some time together she will see the good that this transfer has in store for her. I am thrilled to see Rhode Island has opened up more in regards to the Corona restrictions and am hopeful that that means they won't be stuck inside an apartment all hours of the day. Hopeful...I guess I will hear next Monday what it really looks like.
This is a huge week for my sweet girl and I wish I could take the anxiety and unknown away from her. I wish I could carry that weight so she doesn't have to. But, if ever there was anyone who was more than capable to do all these things, it is Sister Garcia. I love my Monday call (and have decided I like the word Momday instead of Monday) with Kaitlyn. It fills my soul and feeds my hunger for my kids to all be here at home with me again. I honestly didn't think I would hear from her each week but man alive am I sure glad I do! It's nice to be able to see her face, to hear her voice, and to listen. I think as a Mom you learn to listen to how your kids talk to you to decide how they really are doing. I am blessed with the very best and to be able to see and hear that she is happy and thriving give me such peace.
Until next Monday...I love you,Missionary Momma
