Email from Mom: Saturday, May 22, 2021

To: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
From: Mom
Subject: Here's to a long flight home

Well...I never thought I would say it but I am SO ready to be going home. What a a week it has been here in Kauai.
The kids at home did really well and when Grandma showed up I think Christian was happy to go to work and B stayed busy with friends. She made sure I told Grandma to not talk to Nikki when she came for piano lessons so she wasn’t embarrassed too 🤣.
Christian had his AP test, a principle breakfast for the honor roll kids, and his last seminary dance get together. Plus he has worked all week too. I’m just so glad he is out and doing.
Brooklyn has had PLENTY of friend time and even had some friends at our place that included boys. I don’t know how I feel about all of it quite yet but she said she had a blast.
Tonight I got the call as we sat at our last dinner that there were hurt feelings and I had to call home to do an intervention. I am sure it is a culmination of too many late nights for the both of them and too much time together with one another and no Mom playing buffer. It’s clearly time to be home.
We fly at 10:24pm tonight Hawaii time (2:24am at home 😩) and are going to Phoenix where we have like 40 minutes and board a plane home. We land at home just before 11am. Once there, the Millers drove so we will take the Stephens home and then us. Brooklyn gets her 1st dose of the Covid vaccine tomorrow afternoon so I already have a bust day ahead. Here’s hoping to get some sort of sleep on the plane. 🤞🏻
This trip has been a learning experience with Jaime on it. I honestly don’t know that I will be ready to invite them on anything for some time. She tries so hard to take control on literally everything, insert herself where she doesn’t belong, and then there was the incident at Tunnels Beach (my 2nd favorite beach on the island)....
Everyone got to Tunnels. There were dark clouds in the sky and it started to rain so we took cover under the tree we specifically chose to sit under for this very reason. The rain cleared so the three of us found our spot in the sunshine and the boys headed out to snorkel. Usually a great beach to snorkel at and it is also the one where Bethany got her arm bit off. The boys came in and took their chairs from the shade of the tree and out to the sunshine because they were a little chilly from their time in the ocean. The afternoon was forming to be super great with weather and the sunset was going to be even better. Until....Jaime. She says ‘how much longer do you guys have in you’. Ummmm the plan was to do the sunset here & it is only like 5:30pm. So thinking like another hour and a half. But all of a sudden she is packing up her stuff AND everyone else’s too!!! Tyler says ‘hey, don’t touch my stuff. I guess I will go now’ and we all start loading up. Jaime is 1/2 way to the car at this point and us and the Millers were like what the heck. So, we get up to their van so they can drop us at our Jeep and she says ‘we sure didn’t need to leave if you guys weren’t ready’. Seriously?!? Jason says ‘really? Like you gave us a choice’ and Tyler says as we all clamor into the van something along the line of he knew she clearly needed service so we were going to take the Jeep to the beach for the sunset and we would meet up for dinner at Kalypsos. The Millers jumped in the Jeep and the Stephens in the van. Only they followed us so we jumped out and were waiting for them to take a photo with us and instead Banning squeals the tires and peels off in the van. WTH?!?
We get into dinner only to find out they are back at the condo and won’t be joining us for dinner and then when we get back to the condo Banning has shaved his mustache off!! He loved that thing and told Jaime she didn’t get a say just like he doesn’t get a say on how she does her hair etc. Makes us all wonder just what the heck. But as we walk into the condo they both act like nothing happened and that Jaime didn’t commandeer the whole afternoon and evening and that they didn’t leave 4 of our party of 6 wondering and waiting if they were coming to dinner or not. I was furious and told Tyler that an apology was totally warranted but it sure didn’t show up.
Until today....it’s been 3 days!! And she only briefly acknowledged it and I basically told her that I was offended she did it and that it is clear that she can’t leave her kids for even just 1 night without a call and that this island is probably one she shouldn’t plan to visit again with us until she can. I reminded her that Savannah was going to be 15 in December and that I was super frustrated that our days had to revolve around her being sure she could call her kids. It has been a long day to say the least. Because then instead of being glad that we talked she is annoyed that I would threaten an invite for a future trip with us. Not even kidding. That’s all she took from me trying to talk.
Banning told Tyler today at the beach that he told Jaime that if things don’t change he was going to be done and file for divorce. It’s been an issue for some time and it is only getting worse. He said that she is constantly belittling him, pointing out things she doesn’t like, and always asking him to change and adjust for her while doing none of that in return for him. You can feel the tension and as much as I want to be sad for Banning, he caters to her in simple ways like getting rid of a mustache. He did tell Tyler too that Jaime hasn’t kissed him in over 2 months because of it 😳 I don’t get it. You don’t go into a marriage expecting to change someone and I guess that is where it has gone real bad real fast. Hence...I cannot wait to get home and get some time and space between me and her.
The Millers have been wonderful.  I enjoy Akaela so much and I haven’t laughed so hard like I have this trip with her in a long time. She is hilarious and always has such a good attitude. Jason is leaving this island tonight completely FRIED and pool Akaela didn’t put sunscreen on at all today in hopes to take some color home and she is barely pink. So funny.
Covid at home is becoming a thing of the past. No more masks at church, no masks at school functions, kids don’t have to wear them after May 31 at school, the Pfizer vaccine has been approved doe 12-15 year olds so B is in line this weekend for her first round, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I will have a mask in my purse just in case but I am done with them as a whole. I am sure hoping things in your neck of the woods are getting better too??
I’ve thought of you all week. From the moment I saw missionaries at the airport to even now as I sit at the airport waiting for a late night plane to arrive. You have had a big week. How is Sister Parrish? Will you guys have a good 6 weeks or is there anything concerning? How are the new fiends? Did you get to talk Book of Mormon with the one you dropped one off too? Have you had a chance to get out and show Sister Parrish any of your favorite places or introduce her to Mr Potato Head? 😉
I hope the cards I chose to order and have sent will work for you and that the snacks will be a good thing too. I would be happy to send you anything else you need??
I have included some pictures for you and am so excited to hear from you on Monday. I am so looking forward to being home and having Monday be normal!! I love you for forever and to the moon and back for always.
Xoxo,
Mom 🤟🏻💗
- rainbow outside the condo one morning
- wailua falls
- Jason holding onto Tyler nice and tight
- me and Akaela
- tunnels beach
- one of my most favorite spots on the island (would be a great place for professional pics!)
- secret beach (& one of my 2 bathing suits that offended Jaime 🤦🏻‍♀️)
- camp fire on the beach. First for us. I don’t know if I would do it again. The walk up in the dark with huge gross frogs was DISGUSTING!!!
- our final drive into Hanalei today and we had a rainbow waiting for us🌈  



Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom