Email from Mom to Kaitlyn: Saturday, May 15, 2021

To: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
From: Mom
Subject: Hey!

Happy weekend to you! How are you? How did Sister Pearson’s birthday decorating go? I am so excited to hear how it went and how she felt about it. I am sorry I wished her a happy birthday a day early 🤦🏻‍♀️In my defense, it’s been a LONG 2 days.
We flew Thursday morning to come to Hawaii. I wasn’t overly thrilled and I think a lot of it is that I have lost my love for the island because it is the same most of our trips. The hikes are the same, the beaches the same, food, etc. Then add in Jaime and the childish behaviors she has along with the constant phone calls she takes all day long from her kids and Mom because of issues and it is a sure fire no fun trip. Thankfully the Millers are here.
We flew to Phoenix and then to Kauai so it was a total of 10 hours of flying. Holy crud!! I was so ready to be off the plane when we got here. And then we wait in a line to show our QR code, get a ticket to go get a rental car and on our way. We had a quick rental pickup, the Stephens had about a 2 hour wait...then off to the cabin (no kidding) to sleep for the night. Wait until you see the photos from the cabin! What a nightmare. And sketchy. Ha! But we got up and even though it was pouring rain and freezing we went for the hike that we all had agreed on
7 miles round trip. And holy holy cow. When we got to the lookout it was so breathtakingly beautiful but SCARY to get to.  Like my knees and entire legs were shaking! We were crossing teeny tiny paths to get down, holding onto rocks so you don’t fall to your death, & then taking a good 45 minutes to just sit because it was going to be scary going back to the trail. But we had helicopters and birds flying lower than us we were so high and it was just awesome. Probably the coolest hike I have literally ever done. And my legs are feeling it as I type this. 🤣
The weather is supposed to be rainy and windy all week here. I am slightly annoyed. Ok a lot annoyed. It is hot and beautiful at home which makes me annoyed I am not just there. Especially when I wasn’t super excited to come. I hope it isn’t a super long week you know?
Things at home are about the same. The whole Covid thing is changing every minute. The kids only have 2 more weeks of masks at school, the CDC says you can ditch a mask if you are vaccinated, basically only required on flights and public transportation. It’s time. You know this more than any of us. It’s time to get back and do normal things. Step away from the computer right?  The Pfizer vaccine has been approved for 12-15 year olds so I will get one scheduled for Brooklyn on the 22nd when I get home. Lots of other things are opening here as well so maybe we will see normal again. 🤞🏻Are you seeing any changes your way?
How are your friends doing? How was your exchange this week? I am so glad you go to do them in person!!! Anything new on Elba? How about your sweet 12 year old?
Brooklyn has become this crazy social always going somewhere this week. She spends a lot of time at Butterfield Park with friends. In fact last night she went with Jada and Kohen’s mom took them to football games so they could watch. Which is funny because she says Kohen doesn’t like her and Cutler does. So many boys to keep up with!
Christian has made some great effort this week and it has made such a difference at home. He even told me he feels much happier and acknowledged our hard talk. I wish you could feel the difference. It has been so great. And he does hold his head higher and seem happier. I am so glad. He has his senior dinner/dance tonight and there is no Covid test or proof of vaccination required. He says they turn in chrome books this next week I think and he has his AP test Monday. This year is coming to a close. It went so fast. But both him and Brooklyn are ready.
Grandma shows up Sunday night to hang with the kids during the school week. She will only stay until Thursday morning after they leave so just a quick stay for her. I think it’s good. Getting to where everyone at home can take care of themselves you know? Old enough I guess is what I mean.
I guess the other 2 couples are doing the NaPali hike today and Tyler and I are going to hit our favorite beach. Good thing too because my calves are freaking killing me!! Holy crap that hike yesterday was brutal. The road down to our beach is closed throughout the day because of a mud slide so I just hope it stays good and we don’t get stuck wanting to come back but can’t. I think it’s time to find a new favorite place to vacation too right?
Well, I love you. I can’t wait to recap your week and see how all things are going. Crazy how quick your time with Sister Pearson is coming to an end. You ever get stickers so you can give her one for her tag? I miss you and am so proud of you.
Love you to the moon and back,
Mom

Must have plane selfie
Twin beds Tyler and I slept on
the cabin living room (also the couch banning and Jaime slept on)
 cabin kitchen
the view from our rad hike
Tyler and I looking down on the bottom of the mountain we hiked
Akaela under the full rainbow that showed up
me and Akaela snuggling under the full rainbow
me under the rainbow with Akaela trying to duck out of the picture 🤣
me and Tyler under a double rainbow
a sunset (that by the way I was freezing waiting to happen! Windy and rainy and ugh cold)

 

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom