Phone call home: Monday, May 3, 2021
Oh where to begin? I am simply heartbroken this week for Sister Pearson and Kaitlyn. Elba was scheduled to be baptized on Saturday the 1st but after an in person meeting and feeling still good about things, it sadly did not happen. Kaitlyn was cued in on some things early on in the week when they met up with her at the park. They started asking her some questions and her response was that maybe she wasn't ready or maybe she needed to do more preparing on her end. She is also still super worried about what her husband and parents will say/do if she chose to move forward. Anyways, when it came down to it she was not there yet nor ready to commit to being baptized. When Kaitlyn and Sister Pearson talked with her on Saturday she also told them that she just doesn't really see a need to come to church but she was willing to meet up later this week so hopefully they can figure out what she needs in order to progress.
I could see the hurt Kaitlyn is carrying for Elba in her eyes. I could see the weight that is has put on her shoulders. I know that these two Sisters have prayed for and worked tirelessly to try and do everything they could to get Elba ready to start her own growth in the Gospel. But like all things...it has to be on the individuals timing. We cannot force it. We have to allow them, and ourselves, to take this journey and experience and make it into our own. I know that the seed has been planted and I know that the day will come, even if she isn't around to see it, that Elba will choose to be baptized and I would imagine probably will start a domino effect for her family to follow in her example.
Another big thing Kaitlyn is dealing with is some medical concern that Sister Pearson is working through. It appears that she has a tumor on her lower spine that has really started to cause some discomfort. She has tried really hard to push through and not let it affect her but it has had other plans. So, there was a doctors appointment that they needed to get her to and Kaitlyn drove her there. She is so funny when she talks about the tracking device on missionary cars called TIWI. It literally calls her out on everything and she hates it so so much. I die laughing when she talks about it and even more when I read her emails because I can totally hear her voice reading it out loud to me!
Kaitlyn got her 2nd dose of the Covid vaccination this last week too. That meant she totally got reunited with Sister Hull and Sister Farnsworth. She was so freaking excited to have that reunion and she said it was so good to see them. It was also Sister Hull's birthday so I was able to sneak in a package to them to help celebrate. :) I am grateful for the friendships Kaitlyn is making along the way and that so many are keeping tabs on her to ensure her happiness. She says she is feeling good and not really having any side effects to be concerned about. Mostly she says she had a day of feeling maybe sleepier than usual but other than that, no big deal. She got the Moderna shot and we got the Pfizer one so I wasn't sure what to expect for her. I am just glad it wasn't like a huge setback on anything for her. That would have killed my Mom heart for sure!
Kaitlyn and Sister Pearson are also running now most days. They have been watching what they are eating (because they eat treats and snacks most of the day being cooped up inside) and Kaitlyn isn't sure yet how she feels. She says she has had days when her legs are definitely ticked that it is something she is doing and she is certain she will not ever be a runner. Seriously, so funny.
Other than that, Kaitlyn is doing well. She has been asked to speak in church next week! I asked if there was a link I could click on that would allow me to listen (even though I wouldn't understand a single thing) and she said they sadly do not have one that will work for me. So, I will just have to wait until next Monday to see how that goes. She doesn't seem overly nervous about it which is great. That means her language study and usage is paying off and she is feeling more confident in it all the time. It seriously makes my heart burst with pride to know that things are falling into place and into a routine almost for her with all of it.
I tried to give my reassurance to Kaitlyn on the whole Elba situation before we hung up and I promised to continue to praying for all of them but I know that this is something she will have to finalize being okay with in her heart on her own. The hard things in life make us stronger right?
Here's to a new week ahead,
Missionary Momma
| Must have been cold??? I don't know why I am wearing a puffer coat! :/ |
| It's a 2 picture kind of week around here. I dread hanging up so instead I say "let's take another one" |