Phone call with Mom: Monday, May 17, 2021

I am in Kauai right now which is 4 hours behind Utah which means I am 6 hours behind Rhode Island! I wasn't real sure what my day would look like but I was willing to do whatever it took to be able to still have a chance to talk with Kaitlyn today. 

Thankfully, the time change has wrecked me and I was up at 5am Hawaii time so 11am for Kaitlyn. She was messaging me and said she had some time to call so I of course took her up on that offer. As I sat and listened to her talk about what her week held I couldn't help but want to reach through my phone and hug her. 

It is transfer time again this week and she is SO sad to be losing Sister Pearson. I can hear it in her voice and you can see the sadness on her face. These two sweet girls have been so good for one another and they got along so well. They have so much in common and I genuinely know that the friendship that they have made is not something real common. I pray that they will be able to stay connected and that this doesn't mean it is the end.

Sister Pearson is dealing with some health issues with some tumors on her back so Kaitlyn is taking her to meet with the Dr again today to determine the best course of action. I think it will be good for Kaitlyn to be with her as it sounds like Sister Pearson is a little nervous. And rightfully so. Kaitlyn said they were talking about it all last night and Sister Pearson is considering going home to have surgery, which is for sure the end result just not sure how quickly or when that will take place. We will definitely keep her in our prayers for her health state but also to hopefully be able to help buoy her up while she works with Dr's in Rhode Island and the Mission Nurse to take next steps.

Kaitlyn is thriving and has some good friends that she is working with. They dropped a Book of Mormon to a new friend and she is excited to see what comes from that. Kaitlyn will lead the mission when transfers are done this week and she is nervous a little about that. She will do great, she is a natural leader, but I can imagine the feelings that would come not knowing how to approach it. I am excited to hear next week how it goes. :) 

Kaitlyn knows that she is getting Sister Parrish as her new companion. She doesn't know much about her other than that she is from Utah (shocker I know!) but she is hopeful that the connection will be good and they will get along. I cannot, again, imagine having your whole world uprooted every 6 weeks! There was also an incident with someone 'leaking' transfer information (ie: who was going where, etc) and so the Mission President had to get involved and Kaitlyn said it was super awkward but got worked out and the Elders who did the leaking apologized to the District. When I listen to all of this, I cannot help but become overwhelmed with ALL of the moving parts of a mission. And the task that the Mission President takes on as he oversees the missionaries in his call. It sounds like the President handled it very tastefully and I love that he called it out immediately rather than pushing it under a rug and letting it simmer. 

Our call wasn't long today because the Dr appointment was going to be the majority of what would take up the day. But that was okay. I was just so so thrilled to be able to have a call and be able to see Kaitlyn's face! It honestly would have been a miserable Monday for me had I not had the chance. This week I will be certain to keep her in my prayers more specifically as she processes losing Sister Pearson. I will keep her in my prayers as she enters into a new companionship with Sister Parrish. And last but certainly not least I will keep her in my prayers that she will feel confident and know her capabilities as a leader and as the driver of her area. 

This girl continues to inspire me and continues to remind me to be better in all the things. I am excited to head home and to start my study of The Book of Mormon. I have been holding off and for no reason other than I just haven't done it. After this call though for some reason it is triggering in me a need to jump in and go to work. I am so grateful for the tenderness and blessing of having my own missionary and for her example and lead. Keep up the good work Sister Garcia. I love you and man alive do I miss you!

From Hawaii to Rhode Island,

Missionary Momma 

It was EARLY in Kauai but man did I love to see this smiling face!!!
Bonus call back!! I was on a bicycle ride and Kaitlyn said she could talk for a minute so I pulled over and recapped her day. She had an outing and I am excited to see the photos she said she will get on the drive later and she also said that the Dr appt pretty much confirmed surgery is the option for Sister Pearson so more than likely she will head home here soon. Kaitlyn loves loves Sister Pearson and is sad to see it come to this but knows it is the best choice for now. We will for sure keep them both in our prayers here at home.

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom