Phone Call with Mom: Monday, June 21, 2021
Sort of today was yet another bonus day with Sister Garcia being able to call yesterday for Father's Day to talk with Tyler but I will so take every Monday as long as it includes time with her on a video chat!
This week was a whole lot of just catching up on things going on here at home with the kids and Summertime but also with Christian as he readies himself this week to be set apart as Elder Garcia and he too will then begin his mission service. I think, actually I am 1000% certain, that Sister Garcia would sure love to be here in person while he is set apart but I think we have a plan and I think she will be able to call in via video chat and be there in techno form. :) I am not going to let Christian know, or even Brooklyn either, so it can be a fun surprise for the both of them. When it comes to home though, not much really changes. There are always teenagers here with Brooklyn, loading up in the golf cart (because now the cops wave at her rather than pull her over and she feels like this whole new world of freedom has opened up the heavens and she literally drives EVERYWHERE in that thing) and Christian just hangs and has been working on getting his room packed up and a space for him to participate in the MTC. Christian is set to have some friends over this afternoon to have one last hurrah in the pool before he is a real live missionary so while I was on the call with Kaitlyn, he came up for a minute while he was getting things ready.
She was able to talk to him and pass on some older sister advice but also some really great missionary prep advice. I cannot think of a better person to do that than her. She literally just finished the home MTC not that long ago. I asked her if there was anything she would do differently now if she could do it over and she said that she would have been waaaay more committed to her language learning. Which is NUTS because she totally crushes the Portuguese when she talks. (She even throws in Portuguese words in her emails and messages instead of English and I am certain she has NO idea that it happens. Portuguese has become her go to) Anyways, I hope that Christian listened good to what Sister Garcia had to share with him and that he will apply all of those things so that he can go into the MTC ready and can maybe have a leg up on even what Sister Garcia had when he actually enters the mission field. Fingers crossed.
Once his friends showed up I headed inside to keep talking with Sister Garcia. She has found a new friend named Helmer. Say it again because it just makes you want to giggle but you sure can't help but smile at least at it. I love that name so much that my prayers are going to go towards him and his lessons and learning something fierce just so it sticks around! :) She is also still working with Any and was able to have her first IN PERSON LESSON with her this week! They met up at Irma Odete's home and Sister Garcia thrived on the social aspect of what that brought. The mission is going to open up and she is going to thrive and move mountains even more than I think I thought possible. I cannot wait to hear as time goes on.
| I was out on the deck laying out until Christian's friends arrived so I snapped this photo after the sunshine was no longer taking over my screen. Look how HAPPY this girl looks!! |
On another good note....Sister Garcia AND Sister Parrish are not transferring! They both will get to stay and see how their friends progress. This transfer was short (only 5 weeks) and this next one will be 7 because of the new Mission President coming that way but I am so so so glad that she will get to hang there a little longer and continue working with all of these sweet friends she is spending her time with. We just need to ensure our prayers keep heading that way on their behalf.
Sister Garcia overall is happy and she is loving the area she is in. She has had a couple of 'speed bumps' if you will with Sister Parrish and Sister Garcia is recognizing that this is teaching her some patience. It is also teaching her to let things just roll off and for that I am grateful. I am sure it is difficult to live with the same person day in and day out with no break in sight unless you are on the toilet or in a shower. Regardless of what you think you have in common or where you get along, some things are bound to pop up and you are going to implode for sure. I have no doubt that she will work through it but it was a good reminder for me to be mindful of this companionship in my thoughts and heavily now in my prayers as well.
Sister Garcia, I love love you to the moon and back. Your smile is contagious and I love hearing how excited you get when you talk about the experiences you are having, the memories you are making, and as you exclaim the love of this grand Gospel. Thank you for being open and honest and for sharing the good and the bad along the way with me.
I love you for forever and for always,
Missionary Momma
| Proof I am not ALWAYS in a towel or bathing suit. Plus 3 pictures in one day of calls is normal right? :/ |