Email from Mom: Saturday, July 24, 2021

To: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
From: Mom
Subject: Lake Powell and the 24th

Well....Lake Powell has come and gone and I will be honest in that it was nice to go and get away and I really still love all things Powell, but it is sure nice to be home! I did not love the vast amount of gnats that took over this year though. I am sure it has to do with the low water level but they were awful.
Brooklyn Lake Powell'd the heck out of the week. She surfs like a rockstar and even started carving the wave some by the end of our stay. She tubes...like nobody I have ever seen. Holy cow. That girl must eat, sleep, dream, and think all day everyday about tubing behind a boat. She loves it. And I don't get it. Her arm muscles are tight...so tight that they must hurt, she has plenty of bruises and rope burns, and yet still goes and goes and goes. That is the first thing she said she wanted to do when I asked each morning what her plan was for the day.
Shawna's family pretty much took over the boat. Some showed up without life jackets so of course at the marina on the pickup, Chuck went in and purchased what they needed. (Even though there were 3 huge yard garbage sacks chuck full of life jackets on the houseboat). Some showed up without sunscreen so it was another year of hiding yours and making sure that it wasn't in plain site because otherwise it would have been snagged and you wouldn't have any for your family. Because her family was there, Shawna was pretty much consumed with them. Which was fine. I don't know that there would be much to talk about anyways you know?
Alaina and Cole pretty much live a married life. Shared the same room and bed all week and just played married. It was weird. The sad part? I actually really like Cole and I think he could do a lot better than Alaina. Seriously. He is a great kid. Hard working, personable, and funny. He isn't anything to write home about when it comes to looks but I still think when it comes to a girl...plenty of other options better than Alaina. Who btw...wow  has she got her Mother's genes....she is HUGE. And she has ditched the hight waisted bottoms and tankini top. Now it is high cut bikini bottoms and hardly much there on the tops. Let's just say that one of her legs and one of her butt cheeks is about a full of my two legs and both of my butt cheeks. I was shocked when I saw her in a bathing suit.
Little Matt is growing up. He was out doing a lot and he smiles a lot. I think Cole has definitely been good for him in life when it comes to that stuff. He was great to have on the boat and would chat you up without reservation. He took the jet ski out a lot with the water weenie behind it and tubed the kids until they were worn out. Crazy to think he is going into high school this next year.
Damon is the biggest change. That kid is hilarious! Brooklyn was worried on day 1 if the week was going to be crap because she would say hello and he would either walk away or give her a crappy look. But by day 2 they were just fine and it was fun to watch as they allowed a friendship to happen rather than being worried about if someone has a crush on them or not. Which btw...I am 1000% certain Damon is crushing hard on Brooklyn. :) They tubed and surfed, they played cards a TON, they stayed up late talking with one another, and are even still texting one another now that we are home. I am so glad for this. Damon is a huge kid and not like a fat huge but built like Tyler. Broad shoulders, muscles, you know. Anyways, but add on top of that funny. I was laughing so hard at the quick witty stuff he would toss out of his mouth!
The Stephens are well, the Stephens. Big Banning is fine. I secretly  have a jealousy factor in my mouth though when it comes to him and Tyler. Tyler doesn't laugh and smile with anyone else like he does with Banning. He doesn't get near as excited to hang out with anyone quite like he does with Banning. And he sure doesn't have any pictures on his phone of anyone else compared to the number he has on his phone of Banning and/or things he does with Banning. But he was helpful and fun and I am glad that he was there. Jaime is a JOKE. Literally...always pushing and prodding to try and get her way. Inserting herself where she sure doesn't belong and where she even has a clue what is going on. She tried to take over the driving of the boat (not physically but pretty much by her directing) when Tyler finally lost it and let her have it. Needless to say, she sulked and was angry the rest of that day. Only, she sure didn't learn because she kept doing and Tyler had to get after her again. Tyler talked to Banning about it and he said that that is what he deals with all the time. She pokes and pokes until you finally either cave to what she wants or you have to get after her. What a joke. Tyler apologized to her but she still stayed pretty crappy most of the time.
The Stephens kids are a nightmare. Savannah...nobody can stand her. Including her friend she brought to Powell with her. Addie is a snot. And wow, chubby. She is mouthy. And clearly has been around Sophie Wright way too much. Brylee is a brat. Total brat. I finally just stayed away from her. Little Banning is a cry baby and his mom coddles him to the point that no good is going to come from it. One night dinner was almost done and Cole brought up cupcakes to the kids who were playing cards. Banning saw it and told them no that dinner was almost ready to they all agreed and said they would wait until after dinner. Well all but little Banning. He looked at his Dad and shoved a cupcake in his face. As you can imagine, that ticked his Dad off so the deal was that big Banning was going to dish Banning's plate for dinner and he had to eat everything on his plate before he could go do anything fun. Well, that didn't work out. It was enchilada night and apparently little Banning doesn't like cheese so when he brought his plate to be done, big Banning said he wanted to take a look at it. There was cheese on his plate and Banning told him he had to eat it all. All heck broke lose and there were tears and glares from Jaime like nothing else. The night did not end well and while I was getting dressed after I got out of the shower I heard Big Banning tell Banning that he was to get straight to bed and that he was to eat the plate of cheese for breakfast and if he didn't finish it then he was to have it for every meal until he had anything else to eat and/or did anything fun. That got little Banning crying and coughing trying to make himself throw up to which his Dad told him the best line I have ever heard..."if you cough so hard you throw up you better swallow it because there is to be no throw up out of your mouth". I was dying laughing so hard in my room! Anyways...big Banning left and as soon as he was gone Jaime walked in and you could hear her coddling and making excuses for big Banning. It was a nightmare. The next morning little Banning had a plate (cold from the fridge) full of cheese and then found a small pancake and some bacon to follow it up with for breakfast. I am just happy to see some sort of parenting happening.
We didn't stay until Thursday like we had planned but instead we bailed on Wednesday. Partly because the Millers are headed to the cabin with us for the holiday weekend and I wanted a day to get laundry done, get my head wrapped around normal again, and try to get the swaying of a body back to normal too. I am so glad we left when we did. I guess there was lots of wind on Thursday down there. We had amazing rain at the cabin last night when we got here so I can only imagine what it was like down on the water. Lots of flooding in streets from the North end of the state clear down to the South end. Nice change for sure. You'll have to remind me about the day the Balls joined us on the houseboat when we talk on Monday...Shawna and Ashley together was awesome. :/
The cabin is cooler for sure. We got here last night after Christian was done for the day. Brooklyn is still sound asleep (it's 11am) and I can hear the MTC going on down the hall. Tyler is out doing who knows what outside, while I just finished up working on some Relief Society stuff. We got up this morning and headed to the Kamas rodeo grounds to lay out a blanket (okay, it was a rug. How white trash is that?!) to save some seats for Bull Wars tonight and then stopped into the Food Town for a few things. I expect the MIllers to get here between 12 and 1 I think.
Tomorrow's plan is the Rose cabin for the horseshoe tournament and then we will go over to the demolition derby later tomorrow night. Some of the cars for that are on full display by the rodeo grounds. I can't wait to hear what Brooklyn has to say about that. She is pretty excited for that tomorrow.
All in all, it has been a low key week with us being at Powell. Christian's travel plans were a huge deal and he seems excited about it. It's a long day of travel. And it will be an experience for sure for him. Crazy to think we are on the downhill stretch of him being home. We have lots to do this next week to make sure both of us have copies of all the paperwork, international driving permits, vaccines, etc plus then go through his suitcase again and get that 100% too. I swear it was just yesterday we were doing all of this for you. :)
B has an ortho at 2:50 on Monday. She is hoping to get an appointment scheduled to take her braces off. I would love that a whole lot too! School starts the 17th. Registration opens up on the 30th and then she will know her schedule. She is sorta excited, sorta not. I am sure as it gets closer she will be good. She does want to go school shopping this next week so maybe that will get some excitement building too.
Anyways, I love you. I hope this week has been good and things have continued in a positive light with Helmer. I am sure you are doing all the right things and making him aware of the goodness this Gospel brings. I just pray he is open to that and that he will make the choice to have that for himself. I am in awe at all you are and all you are doing. So many on the boat this last week mentioned often how much you and your personality were missed. You bring such happy to all those you interact with.
I'm wondering if anything in the Express package will work for you and if you got your hair stuff I sent. Hopefully that is making a difference or do we need to try something different? I am always up to help wherever I can. Oh...I totally loved your Lake Powell shirt this year too! Did Sister Parrish like hers? Did you get to see Elder Rose's final product? I will add it down below with some other highlights for you.
I love you for forever. To the moon and back,
Mom

Akaela took 6th in horseshoes so we had all the kids solo with us until the arrived. And yes, I still have stroke face…never again will Botox hit my chin.
Demolition derby. Not too bad. Maybe give it a go every other year??
Harper eating (& dripping) a creamie all over me.
Ummmm….shorts. 😬
And more shorts?!?
Harper took me on a walk when we got to the cabin. Told me her new baby sisters name is biscuit 🤷🏻‍♀️
Bull wars
Bull wars…good NOT to do that again 🤦🏻‍♀️
Jumped ship and headed home

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom