Monday, July 26, 2021
I was up bright and early today. Anxious to get a full day in with Sister Garcia unlike last Monday being on Lake Powell. And today did not disappoint! I got my first message off by 6am Utah time and had a return message by 6:06am Utah time from Sister Garcia.
We chatted most of the morning about how things are and what she has been up to. They had been to the post office and grocery store by 7:30am Utah time and then they were going to go for a little photo shoot for some new profile pictures for their Facebook profiles. Just another reminder that Sister Garcia doesn't like to just sit around doing nothing. :)
I took her on my morning walk with me and being able to message her helped that 3.5 miles go by much quicker than it normally does. We talked about Lake Powell and the 24th of July holiday festivities that just went down this past weekend. It was fun to share with her what we did over at Elder Rose's family's cabin and the horseshoe tournament. She made me laugh when she admitted to Elder Rose that she was worried about both of our families hanging out together while they are on missions. Mostly because she doesn't want ill feelings on either side so it doesn't make it weird if they end up getting married. I would like to think that things are just fine and if anything, us choosing to engage with Elder Rose's family while she is gone will benefit everyone in the end. Fingers crossed anyways. :) I am always a little apprehensive talking about what is going on here at home. Mostly because I want to avoid creating any sort of homesickness. I would HATE it if I was the reason why that came into play. But I cautiously move forward as questions are asked and as she inquires on certain things.
We talked about Christian and him getting all finished up with the home MTC this week and getting ready to fly to Africa next week. It's nuts to talk to her and realize that she won't get to be physically in a room with him for another 2 full years. She says she emailed some things to him and that she is excited for him to start this next phase of his mission. Home CTM was hard for her as well and there is a definite miss for missionaries who didn't get that actual experience but she is thrilled he can put this behind him. She is working on trying to surprise him and Brooklyn with a call if she can on the day he flies out. I am going to support anything she wants to try and do. I know both of the two kids at home would be over the moon thrilled to have a chance to talk to her.
She shared with me this week that she had to speak in church yesterday and she was nervous. But she said that she felt good about it at the end and that it was longer than her first talk she gave so she felt pretty alright about that too. She also said that a miracle happened with their friend Helmer. I guess he got a new job and told them that he wouldn't be at church because he had to work. She was worried because he missed last week and if he wants to get baptized he has to be consistent with coming to church. Anyways, her and Sister Parrish decided on Saturday night at 9:30pm that they would pray (not just sitting on a couch but legit on their knees praying) that somehow Helmer would be able to make it to church on Sunday. Sister Garcia said she knew that he needed to be there. She wasn't sure for what exactly but that it was more than just so he can continue to progress towards baptism. Fast forward, Sunday they are setting up English translating equipment (because they recently learned that some of the kids in the area actually understand English more than they do Portuguese) when Sister Parrish started talking to someone. Sister Garcia looked up and it was HELMER!!! He had made it to church and not only that he stayed for the whole 2 hours. Can you even begin to imagine the feelings that must have gone through these two sweet Sisters? Miracles, prayers of missionaries, tender mercies, and relying on the promises of the Lord to extend His hand in all things. Talk about a testimony builder moment.
Brooklyn was around today when Sister Garcia called and was able to talk a little to her. We had an ortho appointment so I was grateful we had time to talk before we had to bail and do that. Sister Garcia is anticipating her next transfer (August 11) and wondering what that will look like. Helmer said he wants to be baptized so the missionaries told him to pray about a day he wants to put as his goal date. So freaking awesome! But as you can imagine, with the transfer date arriving here quickly, Sister Garcia would like to stay and see this happen for Helmer. He is her find and hers from the beginning. I am going to include in my prayers that his prayers are answered and that he chooses to enter those waters before August 11. They will meet with him on Friday this week with two of their strongest members in the ward/branch there and hopefully be able to get his date set and get things moving along. You should see the way Sister Garcia lights up when she talks about teaching the Gospel. It is like a 3 or 4 year old seeing Christmas morning after Santa has visited. It is impossible to describe the feelings that take over for me as a Mom as I sit and listen and watch. This young lady who I sent out of my home on an airplane 5 months ago is this incredible young woman who is blossoming more and more right in front of my eyes. The transformation is miraculous and has been carved out by the hands of our dear Heavenly Father. I am so so grateful for Him for trusting her in my care.
Sister Garcia had a couple of things to take care of before dinner and it just so happened that it all lined up that we had pulled into the parking lot of the orthodontist at the same time. Brooklyn and I said our goodbyes, we took a photo or two, and then it was time to hang up and say 'until next Monday' with her. And my heart aches, but not like it did last Monday. Maybe it was because I got more time being in service the whole day? Maybe it is because last week I had plenty of big cry days and moments of pure weakness in the arms of Tyler? I don't know exactly why this week was maybe a little less hard but I will take that as a tender mercy for my sake.
I am blessed to have Sister Garcia on a mission at this time in our lives. I am blessed because of her example to her brother and to her sister. Elder Garcia leaves for Africa in 10 days and I know it is because of his admiration and total respect and trust in Sister Garcia that he has chosen to do what he is doing in his life. I adore the way Brooklyn talks about Sister Garcia and I know her heart aches to have her best friend home. Tyler and I can see the blessings in our lives as we work to have these two out of our home. Sister Garcia is blazing the trail as she shares the love of all the things related to the Gospel and I couldn't be more proud.
I love you to the moon and back,
Mom
| Hanging in the parking lot before an ortho appt |
| Sister Garcia, Mom, and Brooklyn |
| Hitting the dead zone on a phone call while out and about. I couldn't pass up snagging this picture of her face while she was trying to figure out if she could me or I could hear her. |
| Trying to get a call to connect while at Mountain View Village to pick up lunch at Chic-fil-a...also a dead zone and so freaking frustrating! |