Phone Call: Monday, July 19, 2021

I am not going to lie or even try to sugar coat what this week looked like in order to be able to get a chance to talk with my sweet missionary! Why? Well, because I am in Lake Powell on a houseboat without full coverage on my cell phone and even though countless people on the boat with us (mostly Tyler and Chuck) have offered to do whatever needed to happen in order to make a call happen, I still freaked out! We had the kids out tubing and when we hit just enough service I had missed two (2) calls from Sister Garcia and I started freaking out. I needed to get to the boat and I needed to get to the top deck to get the best reception, and I needed it NOW. 

Once I got settled in and the call connected life felt better. Funny how Monday's are that way now. A hot mess if I don't get to see my girls face and hear her voice on the other end of a call. I am beyond words grateful, especially today, to have the technology even while on Lake Powell to have it all come through. 

Sister Garcia is doing well and is thriving still in Pawtucket. She is still active as ever on the Facebook and working through the area book that her and Sister Parrish have compiled and cleaned up. She is working with some friends who continue to make good progress and even one who has perhaps crossed a line, but hoping that it has been handled and they can continue moving on.

Helmer is a friend that Sister Garcia found herself on the Facebook. He has been very open and very receptive to the lessons. He is the one who read further into the Book of Mormon and came back to these two missionaries with some fantastic questions. Meaning simply that he is prayerfully reading and thinking about the lessons given and the words he is reading in scripture. Sister Garcia and Sister Parrish were readying themselves to extend the invitation to baptism when he said he had a question. They allowed him to go first and his question was simply to Sister Garcia of "Would it be wrong if I ask you out on a date?". To say that Sister Garcia was disappointed or felt like she had been taken advantage of is an understatement. She felt defeated and that she was 'played' (her words). I can imagine that Sister missionaries get this OFTEN especially since the church has gone to social media for connections to be made. Men see these cute outgoing girls who are open to conversation. They agree to meet with them, take a couple of lessons, and each time getting a little more comfortable and familiar with these girls. Then...bam. Out of the blue, the real intention comes out and it shatters the work they  have put in. But, not in this case it seems. Sister Garcia said they answered his question simply with 'yeah, it would be wrong because we are missionaries and on the Lords errand to bring his children back to Him through helping them find their place within the Gospel' and moved on with the lesson of the evening. They did not extend the invitation to baptism under the circumstances but it appears that as of now he is open to continue to learning with these girls and willing to do his part to progress. 

Sister Garcia had a couple of frustrating moments with Sister Parrish this last week but nothing that makes it so the companionship is a bust. Just moments of what I would imagine happen more often than she lets me know especially since they are ALWAYS together. That alone would be hard for anyone. They are a great duo and they have a good time together always. I think in the end that Sister Garcia will look back on this companionship and be grateful for it because of the similarities that exist between them both. 

We chatted a little about what was going on down in Powell and how it was so different without her being there. At times there were a couple of people on the boat who made a quick appearance to say hello. But in the end it was horrible service and a terrible connection that cut this weeks call short. That was hard for me. Especially when I know that her heart is hurting because of the situation with Helmer. I wanted to stay on and talk through it with her. Listen to her share her feelings and to validate her in all of what she is doing. But I couldn't and so I am hopeful that the Lord will hear the prayers on my heart in her behalf to give her the peace and comfort she needs as she moves forward. I have total faith that Helmer will come around and continue to make the choices he needs to accept the things she is teaching and that he will enter the waters of baptism. I just pray that my sweet girl knows how blessed his life is because of her and the love of this Gospel that she has shared.

I love Monday, even it means a 20 minute call is all I get. Pawtucket has my heart.

Missionary Momma

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom