Phone Call with Mom: Monday, July 5, 2021
Imagine my surprise when a call came in from Sister Garcia this morning! I was thrilled to see her face and hear her voice. We had been messaging and I learned that when they arrived to where the festa was to be held, it actually wasn't anything and so Sister Garcia said "The Irma's totally lied to us!"
This week we chatted about how we had Elder Rose's family over to the cabin to have a bbq and to hang out. We are all up here for the holiday and it actually ended up just fine. She was happy to see some of the sister in laws that are pregnant and their bellies. I caught her up on the paddle from the paddle board that Chad took to his face and ended up bleeding and with a cut on his nose and his upper eye. Yikes!
Sister Garcia had a final breakfast zoom meeting with Pres and Sister Mav this last week and her new Mission President and his family arrived this week as well. Pres Mav shared some of his highlights with the missionaries and even admitted that when he gets home the first thing he is going to buy is an Xbox so he can play some flight simulation games. Whatever makes him happy I guess?! He also shared that he loves the movie 'Rocky' and then he tied in the 'eye of the tiger' to missionary work. Sister Garcia shared some of that and then explained that her tiger shirt she got when she was serving in Connecticut had a tie into that as well. Funny how I didn't know the back end of that until now. But it does make me love it that much more. Her new Mission President, President Brough, has a son finishing up home MTC (and even took his family to the airport to say goodbye to them) and headed to Paraguay and then he has one more son and 3 daughters. I cannot imagine having my family travel to be there with me as you serve as a Mission President but I love that it works out for those that can and do. She seems very hopeful about him and she said she has only heard good things about him as well. Sister Garcia did mention in our messaging today that she has heard they may get weights again in her mission! Funny...I asked if she thought she would use them and she said probably not but the Elders seem really excited about them. Her companion, Sister Parrish, also used weights prior to the mission so there is some excitement on the possibility there too.
Things with Sister Parrish are still good and she is happy to have her as a companion. But it is not always roses. This week we talked about how Sister Parrish is always the one who is constantly talking. Like constantly to the point where Sister Garcia is lucky if she gets a word in edge wise. She says it is super frustrating and it is definitely trying her patience but she also says it is driving her to want to continue to learn the language even more so it will be easier for her to take the lead during those times. Isn't it funny how sometimes your 'push' comes from the least unexpected place?
Sister Garcia is working with Helmer still. They had an in person lesson with him and they were shocked when they started chatting with him. They had given him a Book of Mormon and asked him to read the Introduction page which he happily agreed to. Well, when they met with him he said he was already in 1 Nephi chapter 13!!! The Sisters loved hearing this and were able to have a very open discussion with him. He asked why Lehi's vision appeared twice and Sister Garcia was able to share with him that the 2nd time he read it was when the Lord was showing Nephi what his father had seen. Sister Garcia said it was so great to be able to have this lesson and that Helmer is definitely committed to working hard and seeing if this will be something he wants. I will for sure keep him in my prayers here at home. They still have Ani and Annie who they are working with and I can't remember which one (because the spelling is so close!) is on vacation in Cape Verde but they will resume when the vacay is over.
I had a moment during the call when Sister Garcia talked about their 4th of July celebrations. I had sent a package earlier in the week that included all the things for Lake Powell that she will miss out on. You know, a blank tee, some tye dye, friendship bracelet string, sunscreen, etc but I did not have the thought cross my mind AT ALL that I should send some simple fireworks, or fun glasses/hats or something. Ugh...anyways, after I got over my mom let down moment Sister Garcia let me know that they had picked up some sparklers and some poppers and were able to go over to the church (warehouse) parking lot with the Elders to have a little firework fun. I am glad that she took over in my failure and still made the best of it.
With the new Mission President coming in there are some changes that Sister Garcia is aware of that will still come through. There are also LOTS of missionaries that left the MBM and new ones filtering in here and there. With the new ones coming it very well could put Sister Garcia in a trainer role. And she is totally freaking out about it! I tried to tell her she will be great and that she has had enough companions now to know what it would be that if she could go back, what would she want her trainer to tell her. I imagine there are oodles of emotions and some anxiety and fear but really, she would do amazing as a trainer and any Sister just entering the field would be blessed to learn from her. She will have transfers again in August and I imagine will learn prior to those if she will indeed be a trainer or what will be in store for her next. I cannot wait to see!
I took the opportunity to talk with Sister Garcia today about some concerns I have with Elder Garcia as he is in the Home MTC to see if she could give me some advice on how to approach him in a missionary prep way rather than a nagging Mom way. I sure didn't want to bog her down or have her worry but I know she did a lot to get where she is and I would love to pass on anything she thinks would be relevant as he is working to get to Africa. Thankfully she always takes things to the next level and I am hoping we can collectively work together to get Elder Garcia where he needs to be and moving forward. I know he looks up to her immensely and I know her influence is something missing in his day to day life so I am sure he will be open to the things she has to share.
Because her call came in later during the day we didn't get to chat too too long (but let's be honest, her weekly calls are getting shorter with each one) but what time I did have with her face to face will always be a priceless moment for me in my life. This girl is making changes out there in the lives of others that are searching for the same kind of happy she has. I get chills just typing this up because of just how GOOD she is. We hit 6 months next week which means she is 1/3 of the way done with this mission. Time if flying by and yet, not really in the same breath. I miss her. A lot. But I am so proud of all the things she is doing. Keep up the powerful work you are doing.
I love you to the moon and back,
Missionary Momma
