August 16, 2021 Phone Call with Mom
Each Monday comes and I love that even though they start early (6am) I get a chance to talk with Sister Garcia and be a small part of her day as she takes a little time for herself and resets after a busy week. This week was no different.
Sister Garcia and Sister Parrish started their day off with a quick trip to the grocery store. They don't really need much when it comes to the grocery because the members are so wonderful about taking good care of them. :) They also went to the local Walmart today and Sister Garcia found herself some knock off Birkenstock sandals to wear because in her words "it's just easier". I wonder what it is easier for? I don't imagine she can wear them out and about? Maybe??
Sister Garcia and I took a tour of her bedroom bucket she has that has things in it that she will need when she gets to Brazil. Things like contacts, some mesh garments, her chaco shoes, etc. We were able to weed out some of the things that she thought she would need and wouldn't need. I think it is great that she has been in the field long enough that she recognizes that some things just aren't really all that important anymore you know?
7 Months in and Sister Garcia is thriving in Pawtucket. They even had a chance to celebrate with some donuts from this gnarly place called PV Donuts. She loaded pictures up onto the drive and they look pretty funky I am not going to lie but she said they were so so good. Her and Sister Parrish split each one in half and that way it allowed them to taste them all.
Calls with this sweet girl of mine continue to get shorter and shorter each week. It is funny. I didn't think that Sister Garcia would be one that would take advantage of the opportunity (at least weekly) to call home. I thought 'oh, she will go and do and be so busy and just happy that I will hear from her here and there'. I have absolutely loved each Monday and being able to talk to her and to hear her voice. I wonder if she has some of the same feelings that come to my mind when I hear from her. Things like: I can hear her voice and there is comfort in my heart, a piece of home checks in and things all seem 'complete' in a way, if there is a bad day or something I want to talk about it's my safe place, being able to SEE her gives me peace, and just being able to connect and build our friendship and relationship in 'person' (via a video call) rather than just through snail mail, email, or the Facebook. All of these feels and more take place for me each week when Sister Garcia's calls start and end. I count my blessings each week that the Church has made the change for these kiddos to pick up and call home. I think it grants peace to both child and parent and I also think it helps the unthinkable, possible.
7 months in and kicking this mission's trash one day at a time! I love you for forever,
Mom
| The calls may be short but they are what I live for! |
| The faces in this .... so freaking funny!!! |
| I got to say hello to Mons and Arroyo this week! |
| District Pday phone call with Sister Garcia and Elder Arroyo |