Skip to main content

Email from your Momma!

From: Mom
To: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
Date: Saturday, August 7, 2021
Subject: Longest week

Hey! Happy happy Friday at the moment. I am currently sitting on an airplane freezing my Fanny off!! I wore shorts because you know, Summer, but I am sure glad I grabbed a small jacket before heading out the door. 🥶
This felt like seriously the longest week of my life. I had so much going with trying to get Christian out the door, talk Brooklyn off a ledge, and just life that by the end of day on Tuesday it felt more like Thursday.
Monday we ran to get a Covid test picked up from the place that was supposed to be open until 5. Well, at 4:05 not a soul was around and of course there was no number on the form to call so we just left and decided to be there right at 9am Tuesday morning. Thankfully by the end of the night Christian had gotten an email explaining the rules and how to take a test and also saying they needed to know if we were mailing or hand dropping the test. He replied and said we would be there at 9am to pickup the test and that we would be hand delivering the test as well. The lady replied and said she would let someone know we would be there. Oh, and for same day results (like we were now needing for certain), the sample had to be delivered by 11am and not 2pm like the paperwork stated originally. 😬
Tuesday we were up and Christian was spitting into a tube by 9:13am. We were on our way to drop it off shortly after and then we had some errands to run. I needed to go to Hobby Lobby for some frames, wanted to stop at bath and body but it was closed until 10 and I wasn’t willing to wait, we grabbed dog food, stopped at the grocery, grabbed a couple more boxes for him from work, ran through the car wash, and then to the bank so he could get a new card that won’t expire while he is on his mission. Let me just say that I was so glad to be out of the car!! We hung at the house most of the rest of the day, he packed some stuff, B was with Jada and her mom, and I tried feverishly to get the online form taken care of when we got his negative result back. Those forms are going to HAUNT me!! Thankfully the Elder from the senior couple reached out and asked if I needed help so I replied and attached a copy of the result and climbed into bed. When I woke up I had an email from him that he took care of it and had attached the QR code that Christian would need in Togo when he arrives.
Wednesday was a crazy day of getting stuff packed. I went through his suitcases with him and he hadn’t even put in one pair of jeans! And like 3 tee shirts and a couple pair of basketball shorts is all. Anyways, we ended up at Kohl’s to get one more full sized suitcase and he took 2 pairs of jeans, plenty more tee shirts, some more shorts, and even an extra pair of p day shoes. I was starting to worry quite badly at this point so we chatted and I reminded him that Amazon isn’t an option nor is a quick run to the mall to get something clothing wise that he would like. I think he forgot momentarily about the 2 year commitment. But we worked it out and got him all squared away. I got his messenger bag all packed up, tried to help ease some of his anxiety about traveling, and we went to wingers for one last American dinner together. It was so weird thinking that he was sleeping in America for the last time in 2 years that night! Needless to say, emotions started and I didn’t sleep well all night.
Thursday was low key. He finished up some laundry while Tyler and I made breakfast. We all talked and you could see the nerves starting to settle in. I almost wished he had had an earlier flight just so he could get on a plane you know? But he didn’t so we rolled out just after noon and Tyler decided a stop at Coldstone was in order. The three of them ordered up and we were on our way to the airport. We got to the ticket counter and to drop his bag and the sweet lady just beamed. She had 3 missionaries and was so tender with Christian, who btw was more than freaking out. You could see it in his shaking hands and eyes. She even gave me her name and phone # if I ever wanted or needed to talk to another missionary mom. Seriously the cutest. I failed to print off his Covid test (not even thinking!!) but I had it in my email on my phone so she entered it in, got his bags loaded up, printed a boarding pass, wished him luck, and sent us on our way. We hadn’t even stopped to say our goodbyes before B was already crying. Which spiraled and sent the rest of us down that path. The line for security was getting longer and so we finished up and he went to get in line. There was a sweet gentleman who said ‘Elder! I’ve got a spot for you right here’ and let him jump in front of him and his wife. I think that helped settle some nerves for sure. I walked alongside as he made his way to the security line and gave him one last goodbye. And then the worst part of watching as he weaves through the line, not looking back, and then he was gone. All the feels…it sure was not any easier this time around!
We got home and the Millers were coming for a pool/hot dog night so I was cleaning up downstairs and getting ready. They hadn’t been there long when Christian called and said he needed his Covid test or they wouldn’t let him on a plane and wouldn’t let him into Paris. Holy crap. How?? Ok..so the # he called from said I could text it to him and then they sent it to a printer somewhere in the LAX airport. About 10 minutes later he called again saying they had a copy made and he was good to go. I can’t even tell you the sheer # of prayers I said for a freaking printer!!! I climbed into bed knowing he was on an 11 hour flight (I can’t even imagine!) and that by the time I woke up he would be landing. He was scheduled to land in Paris at 6:22am my time & 2:22pm Paris time.
I didn’t sleep well. At all. And when I finally woke up it was just about 6 so I logged on and found out he had landed in Paris like 40 minutes earlier than expected. So I waited forever him to call. Or to get a pic from someone. And as we headed into the airport this morning, still nothing. It was 8:15am when we went through security and he was scheduled to take off out of Paris at 8:35am my time. I figured no call or picture but I am just going to have to go with the delta update that his plane arrived. We landed in Atlanta and I checked my phone for anything. A text, call, email. Still nothing. It wasn’t until just after 8 that I checked emails again and got the one saying it was midnight and that the Elders made it and were headed to bed because you know…it’s midnight. I can’t even imagine the long long day they must have had and just how tired Christian must be. I was tired and I didn’t travel as far as he did!
The Braves one and it was a super fun game to be at. I guess all games though where they win is good right? I don’t know how you are handling the humidity. I feel like I am sopping wet and my face feels like it is slipping off all the time. 😂😂But I can all of a sudden understand how your hair is growing so dang fast in the same breath!
We have a game tonight and then one tomorrow before we jump on a plane and head home. And then I hope to hear from both you and Christian on Monday. 🤞🏻I don’t know what his P day will be or what availability he will have but I would sure love to see his face and hear his voice. Make sure he is good you know?
This week seems to have had plenty and on top of it, I am wondering about you and how you are. Do you have your T text yet? (It’s Saturday now) do you get to be a Mom snd have a kid to train? Are you staying where you are or are you moving on? What’s the update on Helmer? I had a thought on Annie too….do you know why she is unwilling to get married? She crosses my mind a lot. I don’t know, clearly I am not there and done know her but I wonder why, she clearly loves the Gospel and has more than a full understanding, she wouldn’t want to do whatever she can to have to as a full. Crazy thoughts from your Mom is all. (Hopefully not as crazy as grandma though!)
Anyways, I love love you. I hope you have had a great week and that you have found some happy and fun along the way. I’m anxious to hear what’s next for you.
I love you to the moon and back
Mom
Braves vs Nationals. (We won btw..)
I saw almost all of Bob Ross walking to baggage claim in Atlanta!! 😂😂🤮
10 years married…
B wasn’t sure she would cry…and then we all did
Tyler and Christian
Seriously the worst day ever!!
Ahhh the Millers. Love love them
The morning of…
Last American dinner at Wingers
One last look through before he flies



























Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom