Email home to your Momma: Monday, August 9, 2021
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
To: Mom
Date: Monday, August 9, 2021
Subject: Baptism Bus?
Hello hello!! Mom this week was absolutely crazy!
Hopefully she'll didn't miss anything haha! This was a big week for you
guys but then there was so much here too:) I'm just gonna get straight
into it and you'll understand the subject line here soon:) Of course I
have to do your email first though!
- Tuesday morning sounds like a road trip all around ;)
- Sometimes packing is hard to visualize everything but I'm glad he got it all
- The airport lady seems like the sweetest! And the best lily moment too ;)
- It's crazy to me that my little brother is all the way in Africa!
- The humidity is a BEAST! But I'm getting more used to it haha!
- I can't wait for you to talk to Chrish! I'm so so excited to get an email from him :)
- T-texts came late Saturday night!
- Helmer has been quite the roller-coaster this week...
- Annie is our translator friend, CiCi needs to get married but it doesn't seem like she will anytime soon :/
Alright now here's the start of this crazy week!
MONDAY
Just
another manic Monday.... that's a pretty solid song haha! I think I
really having some withdrawals, it's good though;) Nothing too crazy for
today. We did stop and get some frozen yogurt and I forgot how much I
love it! I should've gotten more at home haha! We had a slower night
full of English classes and our friend Annie. She told us that she
doesn't want to change her religion but thay she's open to hearing our
message. President Brough told us in situations like that to just read
the Book of Mormon with them. So that's exactly what we're gonna do!
She's already in 2 Nephi so that's crazy! On another note, it totally
just hit me that Christian is leaving. Now I don't wanna be all sad
because it's not a sad thing, it's actually such a good thing! But it
does make my heart hurt knowing that my first ever best friend is
literally gonna be in Africa. So freaking crazy! Hopefully he's doing
okay? I hope you were able to get everything done on your list today
too! Oh! And your haircut looks good ;)
TUESDAY
Heyo!
Another day, another dollar. Well not really because I'm not getting
paid haha! Today was a crazy day! I felt a little tired and sluggish but
on the mission, we don't have time for days like that ;) We got up and
had to find some kind of game to play with CiCi and her family bit also a
less active family. After much searching on the computers we decoded on
pictionary. We have some fun words so hopefully tudo vai dar certo and
it'll be fun for everyone involved :) We left straight from the church
to our weekly visit with IrmΓ£ Fatima. Man do I love that woman but
sometimes she's so hard. She wants the same thing we do, for members to
come back to church! Our approaches are jusr very different. Today I
felt like such a failure as a missionary as we left her house. I know
she didn't mean it that way but it's just hard when I feel like I'm
doing everything I can to get people to church. We went from there to a
less active members house, Arcelina! We stopped by last week and made an
appointment for today. She has the cutest little 2 year old too mom! We
shared a brief message and her daughter wanted to read so I sat on the
floor and she followed along with us :) Seriously so stinking cute!
Arcelina even agreed to study with us every week so that's huge! So rad!
Tonight we had English class with my favorite Brazilian, Lucinie :) Her
and her daughter just make me smile! Guess what word I learned today?
JOANINHA
If you couldn't tell, it means ladybug haha! With my phone in PortuguΓͺs
now, the emojis pop up when I type words haha! So much fun! We've been
doing these 10 minute lessons I was telling you about too. It's been
pretty effective and we had a handful tonight. It was all going good
until I noticed that Sister Parrish was making these people dots. We
have our key indicators right? So it says that we've already found 2 new
people but I don't know. It just feels really premature to be making
dots when we literally only called them for 10 minutes tonight. I don't
know, maybe she knows something I don't. Vamos ver :) I LOVED those
pictures you sent me too! It was so so cool and honestly in a weird way,
just what I needed to see :) It's crazy that today is already the 3rd!
How are you feeling?? Hopefully you're able to feel my prayers :) I love
you to the moon and back
If you couldn't tell, it means ladybug haha! With my phone in PortuguΓͺs
now, the emojis pop up when I type words haha! So much fun! We've been
doing these 10 minute lessons I was telling you about too. It's been
pretty effective and we had a handful tonight. It was all going good
until I noticed that Sister Parrish was making these people dots. We
have our key indicators right? So it says that we've already found 2 new
people but I don't know. It just feels really premature to be making
dots when we literally only called them for 10 minutes tonight. I don't
know, maybe she knows something I don't. Vamos ver :) I LOVED those
pictures you sent me too! It was so so cool and honestly in a weird way,
just what I needed to see :) It's crazy that today is already the 3rd!
How are you feeling?? Hopefully you're able to feel my prayers :) I love
you to the moon and back
WEDNESDAY
Hump
day! Remember those camel commercials that used to be on TV? Haha! They
honestly weren't that funny but clearly the marketing worked because
that's what I think about ;) Today was another day for service! But
before we got to have a super cool comp study with Sister Brough! She's
seriously is so sweet and had some really cool insights. Everyone always
says how much they love the missions president's wife and I understood
but now I understand even more! Anyways, we had service today! When we
pulled up we had no idea what we were getting into haha! There was a
whole football team there. All I have to say is that it went by super
fast but man am I glad that I'm not in high school anymore haha! It just
all stupid drama stuff and getting mad over dumb things. Service days
always go by so quick because by the time we get home it's time to eat
dinner and get ready for pros. Tonight we had an English class in person
but it fell through, it's okay though because it all worked out. We
ended up having another English class online! But man did it test my
patience haha! Mom this man literally knows ZERO English and he didn't
remember a thing we taught him last week. I wanted to just stop the call
but I didn't and just tried to help him. I decided I could never be
like an elementary school teacher or anything haha! We a had a fee 10
minute lessons tonight that went pretty well! The shorter lessons have
honestly been working so well and it's been so cool to see the miracles
that have come from them. How are you feeling?? I've been wondering all
day what's been going on at home haha! I hope you're doing okay :) Just
know that I love you forever and for always to the moon and back!
THURSDAY
Alright,
well we both know what day it is today but before I get I that, I'm
gonna tell you about my day:) Today was cheio de mais! We had weekly
planning today too! But the weather was pretty crappy and a little cold
se we just decided to stay in and plan inside. It was by far the lamest
weekly planning ever! But we also didn't want to go get a treat or
anything because we knew we had a lot of lessons today and we'd more
than likely get fed. Our first lesson was with Any! She's been in Cabo
Verde for like a month so we haven't met with her in a fat minute. It
was good to get to talk and teach her again. We talked about Patriarchal
Blessings and IrmΓ£ Odete was able to talk about hers too. So super rad!
She didn't feed us as much as we thought but she definitely had stuff
for us. We came back for like 20 minutes before we had to leave again to
to to CiCis. She was so sweet and wanted to have a lesson lesson us at
her house so she could cook for us. So we had dinner with her and her
Jayden. It was kind of like a family night too! We ate dinner, played a
little game if pictionary with our super janky whiteboard haha! And we
shared a message with them. It was so fun and when we got ready to go,
Jayden said he wanted to come live with us us a few days haha! As we
were walking out we found a bra on the side of the road, of course
there's a picture in the drive for you haha! Tonight we were supposed to
have a lesson/family night with an inactive family but when we called
to confirm they had some legal stuff to take care of and were actually
at the airport ready to fly our to Washington DC. it was sad but it
actually all worked out because we got a message from Helmer! His new
job has kept him super busy so we haven't had a ton of contact with him
so it was nice to have a notification from him. He asked if we could
call and have a lesson with him tonight. Claro que sim! Long story short
he had a super rough day at work and wanted to study but he also had a
fee life questions. But guess what?! DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!! WE PUT HELMER
ON DATE FOR THE 22ND!! It was a longer lesson but he finally picked a
date to be baptized! It was so hard not to just smile from ear to ear
but I kept my cool so he doesn't think I'm some crazy person haha! It
was such a good night! I did get the notification that you put pictures
in the drive though. I couldn't bring myself to look at them until after
9pm though. I didn't even know what to feel honestly. I'm so so happy
and excited for him but he's my very first best friend and man did it
hurt my heart to know that I wasn't there. But it's okay! God is so real
and I'm really doing okay :) I loved all the pictures and I can't wait
to get to talk to you all about it! I love you forever and for always
FRIDAY
I
can't believe that it's already Friday again! Sister Parrish and I were
just saying that last week we said this week was gonna go by so slow,
that was a lie for sure! Today was our last District Counsel too. We
have 3 elders dying and we have no idea what's happening to us. I told
President Brough that I wanted to stay and and I could train but who
knows. It was the longest DC of my life too because if the role play
that was actually just a jeopardy game. After we all decided to go out
for one last lunch together. Somehow we all ended up at Chipotle haha!
I've decided that it's good but it's just so so much food. I was
seriously so full I didn't even eat dinner. Today we went and knocked
some less actives doors! Nothing too crazy came out of it but we learned
a few people don't live there anymore and one lady actually gave us her
number to call and set up a time to meet later! BΓͺnΓ§Γ£os! I'm still
trying to get used to everything and how best to make notes of things
but I'll get there;) Tonight was a pretty low key kinda night. We had
the majority if our lessons fall through which was sad but it gave me
time to send some messages and set stuff up for later. Tonight we
decided to sent Helmer a text to see how he was feeling about being
baptized on the 22nd. He hadn't said anything until right as 9pm hit. It
seriously made my heart drop. He told us that he wants to give up on
being baptized and just worship God.... Sister Parrish and I literally
just sat here and tried to think how to even begin to respond to that.
We tried our best but man! I need to stay to help him and see what
happens. We get transfer texts tomorrow night so I'll know for sure by
this time tomorrow. I'm a little anxious to see what's gonna happen!
Arroyo and Mons got a call that Mons is training again and that Arroyo
is staying here but he's just moving upstairs to the Spanish Area. I
don't know why they got a call but I just wanna know haha! Anyways, I
hope you had the best day! I'm pretty sure you're flying out this week
too haha! I don't remember so hopefully I don't sound dumb here ;) I
sure love you! 

SATURDAY
Oh
my gosh mom! Today was by far the SLOWEST day of my entire life! We got
t texts today and 9:30pm could not come fast enough. We tried to fill
our day with stuff to do but it was so hard to stay focused. I asked
President Brough if I could stay but he also mentioned training so I was
just spiraling and this point. We actually had some super good lessons
today! Recently I've been going through our area book and finding people
who just have Facebook accounts linked to them. I've actually had so
much success with it, it's crazy! Anyways, we started teaching English
to this dot and she's just the sweetest! I'm actually really excited to
get to talk to her every week :) We had some pretty solid lessons
tonight as well. Nothing to crazy to report other than a less active
said she would be at church! She just needed a ride so we frantically
called members to see who could give her a ride. Thankfully Silvino came
in clutch and was able to give her a ride :) Tonight I got a message
from Helmer though. At first I was a little thrown off because it was
just to me. Long story short he said that he want to give up on being
baptized. My heart just sunk and I had no idea what to do. Sister
Parrish and I talked about it for a minute and him and I went back and
forth. Eventually it was 9:15pm and he didn't see my messages anymore.
With that still on my mind, we changed and headed up to the roof to meet
the elders for t texts at 9:30pm. At this point I was freaking out
haha! The good news is, I'm staying here! I'm still gonna be with Sister
Parrish too! Neither of us are training so I may ask President Brough
about it on Monday but I'm happy to stay here :) it was a wild night
full of emotions but I have high hopes for tomorrow! I just hope that
Helmer can get to church.
SUNDAY
How
was your Sunday?! You're text today about t texts made my laugh a
little bit haha! :) I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow! Today
was full of tender mercies and miracles out here in Pawtucket:) Last
night Helmer said that he wanted to just give up on baptism, I tried
tried talk to him but at one point he just got off Facebook and stopped
seeing my messages. As I prayed last night I got the feeling that he
just needed a blessing. I went to bed and knew I needed to talk to him
about it. Come to find out Sister Parrish had the same thought haha! He
came to church today and literally every message was exactly what he
needed to hear, at least in my opinion. It was so rad to see Demars and
Strait give their last talks too, they die on Friday. After second hour
we were able to Helmer a blessing!! It was seriously the coolest thing
mom! The priesthood is so rad and I'm glad he was able to experience
that. He said rhat he felt better instantly and it was so cool to see
that happen for him. Not only that but it was also in PortuguΓͺs and it
was just rad to hear it. He's back on the baptism bus too!! Not only did
he come to church but she did Francisco, CiCi, and her cute son Jaydan!
He's my favorite! :) He wanted wanted take a picture with us by the
picture of Jesus, how cute is that?! We even had a less active come!
Swriouslt church was the ultimate high light of the day. The rest of the
day was pretty slow but hey, I'll take it if that means that people
come to church ;) All in all such a good week and I hope that this week
wasn't too rough:) Hopefully baseball helped! I can't wait to talk to
you tomorrow