Email to Mom: Monday, August 30, 2021
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
Date: Monday, August 30, 2021
Subject: Training, Salem, Witches?
BOM DIA!
This week was absolutely
insane! I honestly don't even know how I'm here right now but hey I'll
take it haha! This week was truly one for the books and I don't think
I've ever felt so comforted by the spirit than I have this week. Such a
cool gift! Anyways, there was was much that happened this week but I
didn't have a ton of time to type it all put so when I call you might
get more ;) but before this gets too long I'm just gonna hop right into
your email:)
- Salem is truly a Witch Town and we count everyday to see how many witches we see haha!
- I was in Pawtucket for a long time;) it didn't feel too long though
- Sister Soares is so so sweet! She's a super fast learner and I honestly got the best trainee
- What are you and B gonna do together this week?
-
I already told her she can't move to my room because it gets too cold
and the one time she slept down there she got all freaked out! Whatta
dork!
- Who would've thought you'd miss mine and Christians HUGE muscles for getting our decorations haha!
-
Thank you thank you for sending that stuff! It freaks me out not gonna
lie but right now I just want to stay here and at least finish training.
It's so many mixed emotions
- Because I'm in MA now masks are required in a lot of places :/ I'm just trying to get my face to not break out haha!
-
I don't know what they'll want me to bring but I have everything so
vamos ver haha! I know a sister in that mission too so I can ask her :)
Alright now into my crazy week!
MONDAY
Oiiii!
Tonight was a little dry not gonna lie. We had a little Bible study
with a guy that I pretty sure is more interested in me than the gospel
so we'll see what happens with him when I leave. We also had one last
class with Alessandro! He's the sweetest little man I've ever met! Haha!
Tonight the real highlight and pick me up was some pumpkin whoppie pies
we made today! Before we showered and got ready for pros we decided to
make them and it was our nice little treat after 9pm ;) 100% worth it
and will be making it again haha! I hope you had a good rest of your
day! This week is gonna be crazy so I hope you're ready for wither the
longest email ever or the shorter because I won't have a ton of time
haha! Have the best week! 

TUESDAY
Whatta
day! This morning started off with a trainer meeting! Man, this is a
lot of pressure and I'm getting more and more anxious honestly. We had a
full day that slowly but surely dwindled down. Everyone just wanted to
remark and move times all around. It was a bit of a mess but we finally
got it. Haha! I got to go say goodbye to sweet IrmΓ£ Odete! She's so cute
and I'm gonna miss all her fun stories! I finished up my packing today
as well whenever I had a free chance. I also did some major purging of
my Facebook and made sure Sister Parrish follows all the people haha! We
then headed over to say goodbye to CiCi and Jayden. Tooooo sad! We
rolled up and CiCi wanted to take all these pictures with us and Jayden
so her boyfriend pulled out this big fancy camera and we low-key had a
big fancy photoshoot on their lawn haha! I need to get those pictures
from Sister Parrish after I leave. We also had one last lesson with
Helmer tonight. That one really hurt me I won't lie haha! I just hope he
keeps meeting and will progress toward baptism :) it was so sad to have
to say goodbye though! The rest of the night was just pretty laid back
honestly. I did ask for a blessing from Mons tonight we he was a real
homie and gave me one. I haven't been feeling too anxious but but wanted
to keep it that way so I just asked for blessing:) It all honestly
started to hit me that I'm leaving though. I have so many mixed
emotions, I don't want to leave but I'm excited for a new area and new
people. I don't know it's just weird haha! Anyways, hopefully tomorrow
goes good and I don't break my back moving my suitcases haha! 

WEDNESDAY
Man
oh man. Today was a big sad kinda day haha! We woke up and had a
mission wide meeting again. This one was actually really good and
President Brough is just so cool:) Then it all started to get real haha!
We took all my stuff downstairs and got the car all loaded up. We went
and said one last goodbye to the Elders and then we were off. It felt
like THE longest 45 minute drive of my whole live haha! Sister Parrish
and I were just having one last jam out session and talking when both of
us started to get major butterflies. It wasn't wasn't butterflies, it
was more like bricks. We pulled into the church parking lot and just
decided to take the leap and go inside. We had to wait a little bit for
Sister Brough to bring all the new missionaries. In the meantime Sister
Parrish had her interview interview President and Elder Mons and
Holverson showed up. They're both headed to Canada tomorrow so they had
last interviews and all that good stuff. Then I saw Sister Brough and my
heart started to race so fast haha! My trainee is straight from Brasil
and she is SO tiny! You thought I was small, you should cut me in half
and that's the size of Sister Soares. She was so scared and just timid
so I decided I needed to change that. She's so cute and she's so excited
to be here :) What more could I ask for?! After what felt like forever,
Sister Parrish was done with her interview and we began the shuffle of
luggage, SIM cards, cars, and basically everything the elders had haha!
The elders were super nice and had a lot of stuff to tell give us and
show us on Area Book. Sister Parrish and I decided to go take our new
daughrers out to lunch so we went and got some sandwiches and then we
parted ways. Seriously so so sad! I'm also worried about Sister Parrishs
trainee and how they'll get along, vamos ver na segunda. Sister Soares
is so cute! We talked the whole car ride, she's a little shy but she
loosened up as time went on. I'm excited to get to train her and serve
with her :) We got right into the area too. Our apartment is nice and we
live in the heart of Salem aka a literal Witch Town. I gotta take a
video for you or something haha! Anyways, we had a lesson with a friend
tonight woot woot! All the people here are Brazilian so that's a huge
change. Not just that but the ward is English so that's gonna be
interesting for church. It was a good night and I'm excited to be here:)


THURSDAY
The
first real day! Woot woot! Not only that but we had to drive to Revere,
MA for interviews. I was supposed to have one yesterday but because I
changed zones they were today. It actually was a really good interview.
President Brough had some really nice things to say but he also gave me a
few challenges that I'm excited to work on :) We literally live out in
the middle of nowhere too so everything is super far. With that being
said we had an hour drive back after interviews. That took up most of
the day haha! Sister Soares is so sweet and man do I want her accent
too! Anyways, we've been calling members and introducing ourselves but
also we've been calling our new friends here. They do a lot of English
classes with spiritual messages and have a really recent convert so
that's rad! Tonight we also had cordinaΓ§Γ£o but it's really called
correlation haha! We have another set of elders in our ward too so they
were there as well. Everything here is on zoom too, kinda weird. It was
super cool to see how involved the ward is though. I've made it a
personal goal to be active in missionary work when I get home. It was
really good though and nice to meet a few people even if it was on zoom
;) Also I realized how many pictures I printed off of haha! I hung them
up on my wall and they just have so so many fun memories! I personally
love the one I have of Tyler haha! I hope your wrekvis going good and
you know how much I love you! 

FRIDAY
District
Counsel day!!! Alright I gotta say it, this district is weird haha! I
guess not wired but they're all just super quiet and don't really talk.
It could be too that President Brough joined us through zoom to see how
it works and stuff. We also crashed an all elders district haha! It was
an interesting DC that's for sure. We had a nice long hour drive back
too after, if you have any good tips on things to do we're gonna need
the here soon haha! Today we got to meet two members! They're actually
super sweet! Everyone here is really excited to have sisters here too, I
guess it's been like 15 years since there's been sisters in this area.
Crazy! Anyways, this ward is super willing to help and has so so many
referrals too! We met with a less active and she's actually from China
so that was crazy. She's super sweet though and gave us a tour of her
house haha! She has so so many plants! We also met with this super sweet
couple that is actually from Utah but has lived here in Salem forever.
They were so willing to just help us find everything too. Sister Soares
is killing it out here too! Her language still intimidates me but she's
so sweet and kind. I seriously couldn't ask for a better daughter ;) We
also got in contact with a member that is super stellar I guess! We're
teaching his two younger brothers too so that's rad. The nights are a
little slow here but I think part of it is just having to go through
everything too with Sister Soares. It's crazy just how fast paced
missionary life is and I never noticed until I had to stop to explain it
to someone haha! I think that's all for tonight:) 

SATURDAY
Man!
We live right in the middle of downtown Salem so we get to see and
experience soany things haha! Definitely not a dull moment anywhere;)
Today we had some weekly planning! It was Sister Soares first one so it
took a little longer. I decided that we needed to go out for weekly
planning just to help her. She was seeming a little stressed and I
thought it would be good to just go get lunch and chat about it. We
ended up at this hot dog company haha! I've never really loved hotdogs
but this place was super good! Would highly recommend;) We grabbed it to
go and headed to a park that's super close to our apartment as well for
some planning. Sister Soares is super in tune with the spirit and has a
super strong testimony. Man do I have things to learn from her haha!
She honestly had some really great ideas and things for our friends.
Tonight we got to finally contact some people! We made so many phone
calls to dots, members, less actives, anyone! That's the good thing
about being new, you don't know anyone and they don't know you so
calling is super easy ;) We had a little bit of luck but nothing too
crazy honestly. It's been cool to get to slow down and actually
understand why we do things as missionaries. I've noticed really bad
habits that I have that I don't want Sister Soares to have so I've been
working super hard on them ;) Always room to grow nΓ©? I hope you had the
most fantastic day! 

SUNDAY
English
is weird man! The ward here is English with a handful of portuguΓͺs
people and man is it weird to sit in an English meeting! I've just been
so used and spoiled with a portuguΓͺs branch and group before. It feels
weird to be leading a companionship and know no members too. Also we
literally had the cutest little old lady five us $20 today for our
groceries. What?! I feel so bad taking it! I feel like we need to save
it and then make treats for the members or something. Church was super
good though and a good opportunity to meet the members. Everyone is
super sweet and SO excited to have sisters here Holy cow! They have so
many youth too! So crazy! It was so nice to go to church today though
and just feel normal for a minute. It was the one thing this week that
I've not had to worry too much about or think too much, I just needed to
take the sacrament. After church though Sister Soares told me with a
few tears that it really hit her thag she's on her mission. It broke my
heart! We talked it all through and she's good now, but it just made me
realize that something must've been wrong with me or is wrong with me
because I've never been like "man I gotta get out" Sister Soares wasn't
like that but it just made me think of the missionaries that are.
Anyways, after we got home there was this huge festival or party thing
going on ALLLLLL afternoon! It was the craziest thing ever. It was just
all this Spanish music and there was a bounce house too. Oh! My phone
was being weird all week too so sorry my videos barely uploaded.Tonight
we had a super awesome lesson with a member tonight that just actually
got off his mission 4 months ago. We're teaching his brothers and after
talking to him I KNOW why I'm here. His brothers have almost almost
identical situation with my dad and while he was talking I just had this
overwhelming feeling that this is why I'm in this area. I really feel
like I'm gonna get to stay here for at least the rest of this transfer.
It was a super good lesson though. We also did a noite familiar with
some people in the ward and it was super Spirit filled! Sister Soares is
killing it and already holds herself really well! It was such a good
way to end the night:) I'm gonna wrap this up because it's late and this
is getting long haha! I hope you had the best week and I love you!