Email Home: Monday, September 6, 2021
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
Date: Monday, September 6, 2021
Subject: Witches and One Month
Oiiiii mΓ£e!
This week was full of a lot of ups and downs but let me tell you how
much my testimony of the Book of Mormon had grown! I'm just gonna get
straight into it:) I can't wait to talk to you today! But of course,
your email highlights ;)
This week was full of a lot of ups and downs but let me tell you how
much my testimony of the Book of Mormon had grown! I'm just gonna get
straight into it:) I can't wait to talk to you today! But of course,
your email highlights ;) -This
place gets better and better every day! There is just so so much
happening all the time and the amount of witches is insane!
-The
area is SO busy! The area book has so many grays it's crazy! We've been
walking quite a lot to get to places because it's way easier than
driving honestly
-All the friends here for the
most part are English so that's kinda lame but we leave them with a
message at the end;) We also found a new friend!
-The
colors haven't changed too much but we had a few chilly days this past
week. Nothing crazy, I haven't used my jacket but it is getting a little
cooler
-Man do I miss my old district! I worry a
lot about Arroyo and Sister Parrish. Remind me to tell you what Sister
Parrish told me too
-I didn't know the Evans were getting divorced??
-The video of B in the Razor made my whole day! She's gonna be gone as soon as she gets a license
-Mom
you have to take care of yourself! You're gonna hate me one day if I
have to tell you that you have to use a wheelchair or something
-I
forgot Caroline's parents owned that store haha! Yeah she's supposed to
be in Australia but she's in California right now. A lot of
missionaries meet with therapists. I can explain more later haha!
-B is gonna look so so grown up without braces! Ahhhhhh!
-I'm
so mixed about Brasil! I'm so so excited but also so anxious haha! I
also feel like there's so so much in my head and here that I can't leave
now
Alright now onto my week that flew by! :)
MONDAY
Oiiii!
Alright so I'm sorry everything was so rushed today. District pday and
having to drive and just do everything makes things tricky. Hopefully
next week it won't be so rushed. Anyways, today was just crazy busy. We
had yet another district pday. Man you're just gonna think that's all I
ever do haha! We went bowling but it wasn't just bowling. It was like a
giant version of ski ball and the score we had to put in by hand. It
was actually pretty fun and we should find a bowling alley like that to
go to:) We didn't have too much tonight other other an English class,
but it was good. Tonight was pretty laid back and I realized 1) how much
I miss talking to chrish and 2) how much of an adjustment this area is
haha! Anyways, I'll get over it haha! I'm excited to be here but it
still doesn't feel too real. I hope you had a good rest of your day and
got all that laundry done;) 

TUESDAY
Whatta
day. Today we had service! Here we have served twice a week but this
was our first time. I honestly had no idea what to expect but it was
actually a super cool service place. Basically it's like an outdoor
market that we just have to keep stocked. These people come and get to
grocery shop for free. While we were there this older guy that I guess
is pretty regular came up to me and told me he liked the church because
of the multiple wives. He kept trying to talk to me and I tried my best
but the elders were laughing so hard behind him. Whatta time haha!
Service took up literally our whole day too so when we got home all we
had had do was our studies and then it was dinner. It was super weird I
won't lie haha! It was really good though:) I have a goal to finish the
Book of Mormon before October so I'm trying my best and my studies have
been so cool honestly! I love the Book of Mormon! Tonight we saw some
super cool miracles too! We had a zoom call with a family in our ward
and we got to know them. They're a little odd but they're super cool and
their son is headed to BYU-I this week so that's cool. We then got into
3 lessons! 3!! They were all English but at the end we share a message
and it was just one after another. Sister Soares was beat by the end of
the night but I wanted to keep going haha! We actually had class with
Alessandro from my last area. His story is a bit complicated but we got
to teach him tonight so that was so fun! We did have to call Sister
Parrish and Sister Gieger because technically they have him but we
taught him tonight so we just needed to figure out what to do. Sister
Parrish is struggling and I feel so bad. I don't know I just feel like I
have so much in my brain and so many thing to worry about haha! Gotta
love the mission huh? ;) I hope that you had the best day! 

WEDNESDAY
Bom
dia! Man do I miss you! I also miss your words of advice;) I feel like
I'm totally failing as a trainer. I just can't seem to do anything right
and it's just hard. You also bring up that the Lord does things for a
reason, but I feel like He made a mistake on this one. I don't know it's
just hard neste momento. Anyways, thanks for letting me get that off
my chest. Today we got to go on a little adventure to the post office.
We got a letter for one of the elders that was a medical thing so we
needed to get that that him. This place is seriously so so cool! Even
just walking the 5 minutes to the post office there is so so much to
see! We already decided that we wanna take a pday and just walk around
to see what we can find. I for sure need to take the most pictures ever
while I'm here! Today we also decided to pay a visit to an older less
active member. I didn't really know much going in but we quickly learned
that he lives in an assisted living situation and needs a lot of care.
It broke my heart to see him laying in that hospital bed. We got to talk
to him and he told us how much he misses the temple. I decided that we
need to find him a picture of the Boston temple to hang up in his room.
He told us that is his favorite:) They have a ton of member work here.
Speaking of member work, we had a nice little member visit with a family
in the ward. They both served and we alexcited to have us over. Their
kids though, they seriously were just bouncing off the walls and the
parents said nothing! I understand that kids are kids but at the same
time it was super hard to even invite the spirit. It was an interesting
lesson but they're a super sweet family. While we drove home we
literally got dumped on with rain! I guess there's another hurricane of
something? I don't even really know. It was a crazy night that's for
sure! Haha! There's so so much work to do here and I'm excited to get to
be here:) I hope you were able to get all the fall decorations figured
out too! I love you and miss you! 

THURSDAY
Minha
filha tem um mes set uma missionΓ‘ria! Uau! Today was Sister Soares 1
month mark! That's so wild! I hit my 1 month in the CTM in the basement,
she's out in the field! Today was a super rainy day too so I was kinda
bummed we couldn't do much to kinda celebrate and get out. With that
being said, the weather made me sooooo sleepy. I don't know what it was
but I was just so so tired today. It's like the Lord knew I doozed off
during a DuoLingo ad today too, more to come later. We had weekly
planning today and for once in a long time we took up the entire 2 hours
and even a little more. Sister Soares had a few questions for me. We
decided to take an early dinner because we had a lesson right at 5pm.
The weather lightened up so we walked to this little pizza place and
grabbed a bite to eat. I love Sister Soares but she likes to take her
time with everything. It's good sometimes but today it made it so we
were late to our lesson. It was definitely not good and we even had a
member, thankfully on zoom but still, waiting for us. We finally made it
to the lesson though! It's these two younger kids and their brother is a
4 month old RM and he was able to join through zoom. They were super
sweet and it was such a powerful lesson. Sister Soares even said as we
were walking back to the car that she felt something in that lesson she
had never felt before. It was so so cool! This is when the Lord knew I
was a slacker today and opened the heavens and said, 'Sister Garcia
you're training and I hate you, let the bad luck begin' Well I don't
know what He really said but I'm thinking that was pretty close.
Basically we started driving but instead of taking us back to our
apartment (11 Church st) it took us to 11 church st in Massachusetts. It
was a mess! Let's just say I felt like the worst trainer ever and I
just needed the day to be over. We booked it back inside after we
finally got home and had a phone call with a new friend! She's super
open to our message and Sister Soares got to make her first dot! How
fun! We finished the night off with some good ole correlation haha!
Nothing to crazy but the ward is pretty upset that President Brough told
us that we are no longer allowed to eat with members or friends and we
aren't allowed to take food from them either. It's a whole ordeal now.
Oh whale, it is what it is. That's all I have for today! Thanks for
listening to my epic fail of the day haha! 

FRIDAY
Man!
How is it already Friday?! Today was a super productive day but looking
back at area book it doesn't look too crazy. I hate when that happens!
We had DC today and it still is such an adjustment from my last area. I
know I shouldn't compare but there's just so many new missionaries in
this district and they want to talk about everything! Thankfully Sister
Soares knows what's appropriate! We had a good training on Christ like
attributes too and I realized just how much work I have to do. Sometimes
all the mission goals feel a little overwhelming but it just means that
there is always room to improve nΓ©? ;) We also had a return and report
meeting for new missionaries and trainers in the mission. It was
interesting to see what other trainers are all experiencing with their
new missionaries. Sister Parrish has a hard trainee and I feel so bad.
She literally had to take like an hour while her comp just cried to her
about being homesick. Sister Parrish and I are very similar in that we
font really cry, so that was gard for her to have have interrupt the
day. I 100% got lucky! I don't have too much to worry about and she
already knows the language so the struggle of learning a language is so
much less. It also opened my eyes that everyone puts on a show. It made
me sad to know that some of the companionship have a lot more struggles
than others. I love my trainer and I learned a lot from her but there
was still a lot of things that happened too. I just never imagined other
companionship, kinda crazy. We decided to eat a quicker dinner and head
to this ice cream shop right by our apartment. I felt like after
sitting in that meeting and just to help Sister Soares, we needed it. It
was actually super good and totally hit the spot too :) I think I have
an addiction! We spend the majority of the night knocking doors and
walking all over downtown Salem. So much fun! It was kind of a bust
though, but hey there's always tomorrow ;) When we came back there was a
live band outside our apartment at an outdoor restaurant! How fun is
that?! We wrapped up the night with some calls, nothing too crazy.
Sister Soares was so tired after we got back from walking too.
Definitely an adjustment for everyone that's for sure ;) I just wanted
to tell you how much I appreciate you and how grateful I am for you. You
constantly make me want to be better, and I hope that you can feel my
love all the way from this Witch Town 

SATURDAY
Man
oh man! This week really is just zooming by! How had your week been?
Today we had our apartment inspection! I started to get a bit worried
about what they were gonna say so we took so time to clean it up more.
We've only had one pday here and it was a district pday so we didn't
have a ton of time. I'm glad we did though! This apartment was soooo
gross and definitely not clean like I like things ;) It took some time
but we got it all done and it was looking good! The super cute Ramptons
came by and they ended up giving us 100% on our apartment as well as our
car. Woot woot! They're super cute though and thought that Salem is a
pretty cool little area. They go back to Utah here in a little hit and
have loved getting to see a lot of the mission recently. Today was such a
beautiful day we had to take advantage of it! We went to a park (which
are so hard to find here btw!) and did our comp study. After our studies
we knocked some doors! And guess what?! 2 people answered!!! My heart
kinda skipped because I had no idea what to even do and Sister Soares is
looking at what I do so it was a little scary haha! They both said we
could come back though! :) We hit so many houses too, such a good day:)
We came back for a quick dinner and decided to find a spot just outside
our apartment in the little common area of downtown Salem to do our
work. We saw this super creepy guy in stilts too! It was wild! We made a
few phone calls, invited people to church, all the good stuff;) We were
just about to make our way back to our apartment when we ran into the
Elders on exchanges. Poor Elder Ridenour is so scared of Salem and
wanted to know why they put missionaries, especially sisters, here haha!
We decided to show them the area for a minute and give them some places
to go. We ended up getting ice cream again....I gotta finish the day
strong before fast Sunday!;) The rest of the night we just responded to
some messages and phone calls. This weekbis going by too fast! The
transfer is almost over too, how wild is that!? Also I don't know if I
mentioned it yet or not, but I did get your package and have all that
stuff in my suitcase now ;) You're the best! I love you 

SUNDAY
Fast
Sunday! We had a super sweet member bring us a frozen meal, taco soup,
and we decided to have that for dinner tonight. The catch is that it has
to be in the crockpot for 8 hours so we started it this morning. It
smelled so good right as we were getting ready to leave for church, good
thing we had to go haha! Church is still super weird in English I won't
lie, still getting used to it. We had a good sacrament though and I
just felt the Spirit so strong today. We totally got called out too...
the first counselor got up to pass the time over to us and goes, "We
have new sisters and we would love to hear from them today!" I guess
that means we got to bear our testimonies haha! We also had a Sunday
school today and we're talking about temples. The recent convert here,
Leilia has so many questions about the temple too ao it was hard to
focus on it. We're thinking of setting a lesson with her sooner than
later to talk to her. She has amnesia so we have to be strategic about
our lessons. We were able to set up a lesson with her tonight though and
man did I feel exhausted after that! I wish I could tell you everything
that happened but it would be a whole other email and a half for sure!
Her brain is always going 100 different directions and it's hard to keep
up haha! We talked about temples but she had questions that make me
wonder what the elders taught her. Who knows! We came back with a few
minutes to spare before going into our noite familiar familiar Julio!
He's a beast and actually gave us a referral this week! We have a lesson
with her tomorrow :) He's just the coolest and I love him already!
Today was such a good day and the Book of Mormon is just so so cool!
Maybe I'll have some more time this week to talk and I can tell you
about some of my studies recently:) I hope that you had the best night
and the best Sunday! I miss you and everyone back home more than you
guys know but I'm so happy to be here too :) I think you need to serve
just to feel the spirit of a mission, it's honestly indescribable! I
love you and I can't wait to talk to you tomorrow! 
