Today was Labor Day which meant we had some friends (Millers and Stephens) up to the cabin to enjoy the holiday weekend. I love being up there but it does make for a tricky Monday to take calls from my missionaries. Mostly because I feel guilty not entertaining those we invited up but also not giving my all to missionaries too. Double edged sword man!
Sister Garcia is making the most of being in Salem. She longs for her old district and for her friends she had in Pawtucket pretty heavy. You can just hear it in her voice when she talks. They did a district p day today and they went bowling but her excitement when she shared just wasn't the same happy Sister Garcia I have come to know. I am sure it is hard and I am sure she aches to be back in Rhode Island but I am also 100% certain that the Lord needs her in Salem at this time.
Things are changing again because of Covid. No more dinners with members and members are not allowed to drop off food or prepare food for the missionaries. This makes it tricky for the missionaries and for the members to navigate what has been done for so long. Some members just drop food off, others aren't sure really what they can and can't do. Covid really has messed up things quite fierce. Masks are coming back into play some and when you add all of this on top of a new area, being a new trainer, wanting to make the most out of this sweet new Sister Soares first area/experience in the field...it's a lot and Sister Garcia is carrying a lot on her shoulders and heart.
She is loving being in Salem and all the crazy weirdos that are running around the area most days. She has seen plenty of weird stuff and has a list of places she wants to visit while she is there. We chatted some about Brazil and her visa paperwork. She hasn't heard anything more and says she feels like she will be there for another transfer. Transfers fall on the 22nd this month and she says she can see herself staying in Salem through one more round. Then she feels like October/November is when she will head out. I would love for her to not have to deal with Winter back East and the brutal cold and crappy snow if she doesn't have to. I would love for her last months of her mission to be in Brazil where it is warm and where I am certain her success rate will skyrocket right in front of her eyes. But for now, we will take each day and be grateful for the opportunity she is having to train and for the new area she is serving in.
I love you girl and am thrilled to see all of your hard working efforts. I promise they are not going unnoticed by anyone around you on this side of the veil or on the Heavenly side as well. I love you to the moon and back, forever and for always.
Mom
 |
| Calls from the cabin...see this girls face? See that smile? Yeah...makes my whole world happy |
 |
| Sister Garcia...doing amazing things one day at a time |
 |
| Jason jumped in to say hello before he headed off towards home with his family |
 |
| When you say 'smile' to Brooklyn...you never know what you will end up with |
 |
| Sisters <3 |
 |
| Tyler and Mom talking through some things with Sister Garcia |
 |
| Jurni Miller wasn't entirely sure she knew what to say or how to act to be honest when she saw who it was I was talking to. |
 |
and even Akaela jumped in to say hello as well
|