Phone Call from BRAZIL: Monday, September 27, 2021

I have never been more anxious for a phone call than I was today. I was almost sick with anticipation! I went about my morning with my regular scripture study, Brooklyn was moving about getting herself ready for school, and Tyler was still sleeping in the bedroom. I logged onto the Facebook and already had a message from Sister Garcia saying that they only have one phone in the companionship so it will be tricky but that she will explain when she calls. I responded to say good morning and to remind her that I love her very much.

Elder Garcia called and as we were visiting Sister Garcia started calling too. Now...this is the first time for me and I was in pure panic mode because I needed to talk to Sister Garcia but I didn't know how to get her in on the call. Thankfully I sent a quick message on the Facebook messenger and her and Elder Garcia made it happen!

This picture is seriously so rad to me. Let me explain...Elder Garcia in AFRICA, Mom in USA, and Sister Garcia in BRAZIL! 3 continents, 3 countries, 3 people coming together on ONE call!

This was where things started to get tricky. I love that these two get to talk to one another and I love that they can see each other. I am grateful for the new rules that allow these phone calls home each week. But as we are dealing with the time zone differences (Mom in Utah: Brazil is 3 hours ahead of me and Africa is 6 hours ahead) so trying to get emailing in, messaging in on the Facebook, and then a video call is hard.What is hard? Well, I didn't get a lot of one on one time with either Missionary today. I was about 15 minutes into a call with Elder Garcia when we added Sister Garcia. There is NOTHING wrong with that other than if either of them had something they wanted to talk about or discuss, well there was another person on the call. Anyways.....tricky.

Sister Garcia was able to share with us a quick tour of her apartment in Brazil and it looks nice. :) She is also living now where there are no paved streets. Her and Elder Garcia have something in common with their missions! She says it is hot and the humidity change hasn't been too bad. She does say that her fingers and her toes swell from the heat and not being able to keep water in around the clock. She even had to loosen her chaco sandals to accommodate for that. I imagine that would be harder than we think as I sit here at home. I experience this when we go to  Hawaii but I don't live in it full time. She showers both morning and night just to keep the feeling of 'clean'. 

Tyler walked in and was able to say hello to both of the kids before he was heading out to take care of some things he had planned this morning.
 
I could tell that she was getting antsy to get off the call. I don't know if they had stuff going or if her companion, Sister Da Mata was making her feel rushed, but something became pressing as we talked. So, I got a recap of information from her and what she has experienced in her 3 days of being in Brazil.

- Technology is VERY different. In fact, she says is the biggest difference she is currently noticing
- The weather is HOT. So hot. But she is glad she won't do Winter back East in the United States
- Her companion, Sister Da Mata has been out for almost 8 months and she is not a trainer. Sister Garcia is just learning the ropes if you will of how the area works, how President and Sister Nordfelt do things, etc
- Sister Garcia has a goal to learn one new Portuguese word a day. This was comical to me only because when I hear her she sounds pretty much fluent. But I love that she is challenging herself
- Missionaries are allowed to eat with members, knock on doors, and even street contact. This has to be exciting for her!
- She says she is currently feeling like she understands 75-80% of all the conversations she is a part of.
- She misses the MBM and the people there but she is so excited to be in Brazil and is looking forward with happy and joy
- The three biggest things she is working to adjust to are the fact that there is only one phone per companionship, some of the rules of the mission, and the fact that when they eat with others there is SO MUCH FOOD!

I think (think) she is good. There was something off this week with her. She wasn't her normal self. I am going to hope that it is that she is tired and still trying to allow her body to catch up to the jet lag and crazy two days of travel, adrenaline going, and getting to Brazil as a whole. Her eyes just didn't light up like they usually do and she just wasn't my Kaitlyn. I am going to have a hard time with the one phone, lack of technological advances, and being able to send some love to her via the Facebook like I have been used to. I can still do it but she just can't react like I have been used to. It will be a whole lot like Elder Garcia's mission. Different but we will adjust and I will remain grateful that I get the chance to see Sister Garcia's face each Monday.

The kids were both chatting as our call was ending and I was just listening. I loved being able to hear them talk about how they treat their clothes with a product and how they are both experiencing hot vs cold nights to sleep in. It was just as the call was done that Sister Garcia calls out Elder Garcia basically and says "how much rice and beans are you eating?!" and then rubs her fingers along her cheeks like making a chubby cheek reference. I was DYING laughing! Elder Garcia took it in stride and just smiled and giggled right along with us. He said everything is going to his face (and he is grateful for that) but he also acknowledged that he is grateful to have the food he has too. True but still hilarious that Sister Garcia would even bring it up. Just shows the friendship and relationship they have with one another. I am so grateful for that.

And then, just like that it was time to hit the red button and end our call. As soon as both of these faces were off of my phone I sat in my chair in my room and cried today. I can feel that something isn't right with Sister Garcia. And really, maybe it is just the whirlwind she is walking through right now. I am going to pray that is all it is. She is inching closer to her 9 month mark which means we can start counting DOWN to when she returns home. Having her in Brazil makes my heart miss her more somehow? It is the strangest of feelings. I am thrilled for her but boy do I long to have her home with me here. 

Keep moving forward, keep being you. Never doubt your worth and remember that I love you for forever and for always. To the moon and back,

Mom


 

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom