You made it to BRAZIL Today!
Transfers were Wednesday in the MBM (9-22-21) and since you were heading out you had an opportunity to visit the mission home and then go stay with the STL's there in Boston. My favorite thing you had to say about the mission home was just how massive it was. There was a room that had 5 sets of bunk beds in it! :) I hope you never forget this day. You had a departing interview with President Brough and before you knew it, time to get ready to call it a day.
Thursday, September 23, 2021: You were hoping to ride in Big Bertha (the van) but then it didn't look like it would work out. Well..it did and you said it was awesome. The big van plus a big cargo trailer with luggage in it arriving to the airport must be quite the site. There were other missionaries from the MBM with you as they were heading home, but you...you are off on this next step and adventure of a lifetime heading to Recife. I loved that you had your phone with you and were able to connect to the airport WiFi. I think this brought my heart more peace than I thought it would. I sure don't worry about you in an airport and navigating to get to where you need to, but I just wanted to be along with you as you made this journey.
You found your gate (and a bathroom) and then you took a moment and called home. Sister Garcia, seeing your face from the mask covered nose up, I can't help but go back to that moment and just smile a smile and let my eyes allow some tears to come out. You were RADIATING and the excitement and pure joy that I could see just made my whole self burst with pride for all you are doing! You were traveling to Atlanta from Boston and there were no other missionaries on your itinerary. Because the other missionaries were traveling home you also arrived at the airport quite early. You had a long wait for your plane to board and take off so you found a spot and you watched as the other flight that was scheduled before yours, collect travelers at the gate, board, and then watch as the gate closed and the plane took off. Still no other missionaries so you found yourself a salad to eat and grabbed a drink and we took the chance to keep messaging together. I suggested a crossword puzzle book to keep you busy and not make you stir crazy on a plane and you happily replied with letting me know you are not 90 years old! I got a good laugh at that. :)
You told me about transfers and how you had a chance to see some of the missionaries you have made friendships with and were able to say goodbye to, you told me about Kevin (Elder Arroyo) and how he wanted to give you a hug but it isn't really allowed so it was awkward (I cannot even imagine!), you talked about your cute Sister Soares and how she gave you the nicest card and 50 reias (which is like $9 in USD), a Twix bar for your bag, and how when you saw tears well up in her eyes your heart ached. We were able to talk about how she truly is your 'daughter' and the love and concern you have for her as a missionary is clear. How lucky is she that she got YOU as her trainer! You also told me that you felt bad for taking a banana and a piece of bread for toast from the STL's that morning for breakfast. I love how you are always concerned for others, even if it means you go without. Before long it was time for you to board your first leg of your flight to get you to Atlanta so we said 'talk to you soon' and you were off. I had the Delta tracker on my phone watching your flight and giving me notifications as you took off and landed. Psycho stalking Mom? Nah...just anxious and excited for you!
You made it to Atlanta and it is a HUGE airport! So huge in fact that you had to take a shuttle to your gate. It is an International Airport so that just means big. But you didn't stress too much it seemed and you got to where you needed to be. I cannot begin to imagine how you must be feeling. I didn't do any traveling as a kid and I have only been to Mexico outside of the United States. But even then I had Tyler leading me because I would be so unsure of myself and my abilities. You on the other hand? You seriously make it look easy. I am so proud of you. As you got to your gate (and after you found the bathroom again. :) ) you found other missionaries and a sweet Senior Couple who were all traveling to Sao Paulo as well. This...this made me so happy! I was worried about you traveling so far without anyone to 'talk to' if you needed. I mean on the missionary front. I am certain you could chat with anyone if you needed but just peace of mind for me that you had a companion of sort I guess for this 9.5 hour stretch of flight.
You had a light dinner of a savory crepe thing because things were closed in the airport but you also had dinner scheduled on your flight. I cannot wait to hear what your options were and what you chose. You found yourself a pillow (and I am hoping you got some rest on the plane), promised me you had a bottle of water, and you were busy engaging in conversations with the Senior Couple who were speaking in Portuguese to you. Your message to me through Messenger was "So fun! I love Portuguese!". There is one Elder in the group who is heading to Recife with Sister Garcia and the others are going to other various spots. Just as I was typing a message response, I got this sweet photo texted to me:
This is the group of missionaries that were in Atlanta who joined forces and will travel to Brazil together. My eyes started leaking immediately and I could NOT get them to stop! Look at Sister Garcia's smile!!! She is thrilled beyond words and it wouldn't matter if there were millions of dollars to offer her to come home, she wouldn't and I LOVE that ! The power in this photo is downright rad and the people in Brazil look to be getting some super special servants headed their way.Your Mission President's wife, Sister Nordfelt, sent you a message on the Facebook and we talked about how nice that was and I told you how grateful I am that she will be there to take my spot to embrace you on your arrival. I know you have others who are there and anticipating your arrival too but to know that another Mom is there gives my heart peace. I seriously contemplated flying to Atlanta to take you to dinner and hang with you before you boarded your plane but I obviously didn't. I knew it was wrong and probably against rules, but I also got a major reprimand by Brooklyn! She let me know just how rude that would be and how hard it would be on your heart. She let me know that I was discounting the real hug that I would get when you come home for final from your mission. She let me know, like not even kidding, just how awful it was that I was even thinking about going to Atlanta. She told me she would have NO part of it and that she would not support me going. Period. I find myself still laughing when I go over this conversation in my head. :)
I was watching the clock pretty religiously all day and as you said you were going to start boarding, I felt my eyes start to leak again! Ugh! We said our 'talk to you soon' and then the airport WiFi was no longer an option. You were boarding your next leg of this journey and I needed to rely on the trust of my Heavenly Father that all would be well.
Your flight was delayed by almost 2 hours to take off from Atlanta which meant that your arrival in Sao Paulo would also be delayed. This means nothing to you as the traveler but for me it meant that I didn't need to set an alarm as early as I originally planned on. Your plane was to land originally at 2am my time here at home. I wasn't sure I would even go to bed to be honest but I did. And since you were delayed leaving I set my alarm for 4am. I didn't really sleep but I tried. I logged on and sent you a message on the Facebook and waited and watched as the gray check box became your profile picture letting me know you had seen it.
You arrived to Sao Paulo and the first message I got from you said "I'M LITERALLY IN SAO PAULO AGORA" and you also said you were so tired. The Sister sitting next to you didn't stop talking long enough for you to really close your eyes and get some rest. You gave her some credit and said it was probably nervous talking that she was doing. I appreciate that you found some good and didn't lose your crap on her, because I think if roles were reversed I would have! You had to re-check your suitcases and go through customs and security one more time. You also said you understand the language going on around you! How freaking amazing is that?! Not that there was ever any doubt on my end, but I love this for you so much. With your plane leaving Atlanta so late you didn't have much time in Sao Paulo but you did have time to run to your terminal gate in order to board a plane right quick. In the small chats we were able to have you told me you had pasta for dinner and they gave you something small for breakfast that consisted of a fruit cup and 'some weird egg sandwich'. I guess I will be hopeful lunch will be better for you.
I got the sweetest message on the Facebook from Sister Zaugg's mom while I was finishing up messaging you as you were boarding your final leg to head to Recife. She told me that she too was contemplating flying to Atlanta to see Ashlee before she flew but knew her heart couldn't handle it either. So funny that we had the same thought right? She told me that Ashlee will get to see Sister Garcia tomorrow and cannot wait to hug her! Ahhh...this makes me so happy. It sounds like Sister Garcia will be living in Carpina in Ashlee's old apartment and her companion is so excited to have her arrive and 'wanted to make her something special to make her feel welcome". I seriously am still bawling after reading this! I can't wait to hear what this something special is. Sister Zaugg's mom was so sweet and asked how I was doing and encouraged me with the reminder that Sister Garcia's next big adventure starts today. I shared a small tid bit of this with Sister Garcia as she was boarding the plane and she acknowledged it with a heart on the Facebook messenger. The flight to Recife is a 3 hour flight so you won't be arriving until about 10:30am here at home. That means I am am able to get myself showered and get Brooklyn out the door for school. And then I wait to hear that you have arrived safely to your destination of Recife North Brazil!!
I watched your flight again, this time not on a Delta app...this time wasn't as 'telling' but I did see you arrived and you arrived earlier than you were supposed to (by like 10 minutes but still!). I knew you would have luggage to get and so I tried to be patient by doing things to keep me busy. Okay, not really. I sat outside in the sunshine by the pool and anxiously checked my phone and watch a gazillion times to see if you had somehow called and I missed it. But that call or message never came in while I was outside. In fact, I kept thinking maybe it would be like when Elder Garcia arrived in Africa and I just wasn't going to hear until Monday when you called home. But then...at 2:09pm my time (so 5:09pm in Brazil) I got the following:
From: Mandy.Nordfelt@churchofjesuschrist.org
Date: Friday, September 24, 2021
Subject: Oi mae!
To: Kaitlyn (via Sister Nordfelt)
Reply to your email


And now, I go about the rest of my weekend and anticipate Monday like I did the first time as you headed to the MBM. I need you to know how proud I am of you and how much I admire and respect you. You have made a journey in the last 24 hours and one that I am sure you will never forget. You have proven time and time again how incredibly capable you are and it is apparent now more than ever that the Lord has saved you to be in Brazil at this very moment because HE trusts you and needs you right where you are. Never ever underestimate your worth and value in the sight of the Lord. You are going to continue to be amazing and you are going to help move the Gospel along as you serve those in Brazil. I cannot wait to see this next stage of your adventure unfold. Always remember, I love you for forever and for always. To the moon and back!
Mom
