Christmas in November?
| Christmas all wrapped and packaged to go on a long flight to Brazil! |
Christmas...and packages to a whole different country. I was spoiled with Sister Garcia being in the MBM and having the ability to ship her stuff rather simply. Send her to another country and the cost is outrageous, you don't know that you can guarantee that she will even receive a package, she may have to pay an excessive 'customs get out of jail' fee, and would it all be there when and/or if she gets it? So, Sister Garcia just knew that when she was in Brazil, the chances of getting a package from home would probably never happen.
We have found a guy, Bruno, who is in Brazil and who works with parents all over to help get things to missionaries and I have loved working with him. He was able to get a birthday gift figured out, a bag of Halloween treats, and I even have him working on a Christmas box as well. But something in me REALLY wanted to find a way to get something from home to her. Well...I found LDSXpress! They travel to different countries all over the world and hand deliver to mission homes packages from parents who otherwise can't guarantee an arrival. I was beyond thrilled to snag a spot for a Christmas delivery and went to work to find the right stuff to send.
Sister Garcia will only have 6 short months left when Christmas comes so I sure didn't want to clutter or add 'fluff' that she would have to deal with so I tried for simple but clearly sends love from home. I also had some friends want to include some things (Julie Rose, Heather Smith, and Grandma) as well. I even had Brittan get a hand written letter to me that I tucked inside her Christmas stocking for her. I am sure that will be her most favorite part and I am okay with that. I love that we were able to make it happen! I also included a small stocking of gifts for her companion and also shipped a package to her Mission President and his wife. Nothing big but a reminder of home for them too in shape of a University of Utah tee shirt. :)
Christmas may look different this year than it has in years past for Sister Garcia but I love that I have found a way to get some direct love from home to her. It was ridiculously expensive but I only have one Christmas with her out and I wanted to be sure that she knew that home was still thinking of her and longing for her return. I wish I could be there when she sees a package from home. I wish I could see her eyes and I hope that it brings happiness to her heart. I hope it creates joy from within and that she can feel of our love that we have for her. I am so so grateful to the folks running and doing the massive work at LDSXpress!
Merry Early Christmas. I love you for forever and for always,
Mom