Email Home: Monday, November 8, 2021
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
Date: Monday, November 8, 2021
Subject: Mission Tour Pt. 2
Olaaaaaa meus pais!!
How are you?? How was your guys week?
This
week was long but also quick haha! I think it's always like that when
we have something big like Zone Conference or interviews.
This
week started off really strong with lots of referrals, and even better,
they responded to us! Hopefully they continue to respond to us and we
can teach them:) I also decided to try my hand at making some cookies
here in Brasil. Man oh man did I try haha! They turned out alright but
there's a lot of factors that I can't quite figure out so they weren't
the best. But they do have a ton of love in them so I guess that makes
up for it right? ;)
Wednesday was kinda the big
day I was waiting for. For starters Sister Da Mata hit her 9 months!!
Woot woot! Wr went to this super chique doceria for lunch and it was
super yummy. If we ever end up in Carpina we should definitely go there
;) It was also the day that we went into Recife! It's a long story but
Irmão Amon was running a little bit late so we didn't end up leaving our
apartment until about 9:30pm instead of 8:20pm like we had hoped for.
It was kinda hard to keep working because we knew we needed to work and
pay attention to our messages at the same time. When he finally got here
we made our hour drive into Recife to stay in the chique hotel. It was
weird to be in a hotel I won't lie haha! We also had a problem with the
lights in the room and had to call (at 10:30pm keep in mind) to ask for
the key to turn on the lights. It was such a long night by the time we
got everything all figured out and ready for bed.
6am
came pretty early the next day but it was so so worth it! The mission
tour was amazing!! Going into the mission office my heart was heavy and I
had so much in my mind. These past couple days/weeks have been kinda
tough and I've been feeling really down. When I was trying to prep my
questions I was seriously struggling to put my thoughts into words. The
second that Elder Uceda walked in the room though, the feeling of peace
and the Spirit was almost tangible. The moment only got stronger as he
started to talk and teach. It was such an answer to my prayers and there
were moments that I felt he was talking straight to me. My notes are
endless to say the least ;) It was so amazing and I'm so lucky to have
had 2 mission tours with 3 amazing Area 70's. Elder Uceda is so amazing
and he's the cutest little man too! We had lunch and I got my package
too! You're the best :) Thank you thank you! On our way back to Carpina
we stopped at the one and only, McDonalds. My first McDonalds on the
mission too haha! It's basically the same, but their ice cream machine
works here ;) When we finally got back to Carpina it was 5pm and we had a
million things to get done as always haha! Amon also came up to fix our
fridge woot woot! We ended up moving the fridge to use another outlet
in the kitchen but we fixed the plug on the fridge and we were able to
put it back where it was. I was mostly just on a spiritual high from our
mission tour. It was so good for me and as I looked back at a few of my
notes I could've cried. I'll have to tell you about it on Monday :)
Friday
we had lunch with our mission grandma haha! Irmã Regina is just the
cutest little old lady and has so much sass haha! In the middle of lunch
she goes, "This food is not that great" and then makes the funny face!
The best is that the food was actually pretty good and I didn't mind it
haha! We ended up staying there way long than any of us expected because
she started to really open up to us. She lives alone so when we come
over it's a big deal and she has someone to talk to. When we got back it
was already time to leave again to visit our friend Neto. He was home
too! Woot woot!! We had planned to give a short message but he was so
nervous to talk to us we decided to just mark a time to come back and
talk to him. We got stopped on the way back by this little drunk
grandpa. It was interesting to say the least haha! He kept trying to
tell us these riddles and have us guess his name. We actually met him
once before in Irmão Fabricio's padaria but we didn't get his name. He
kept telling us that he knows us and wanted us to answer all these
riddles. It was super weird haha!
Saturday was a
hard day for me. I realized just how different Brasil is and that was
not good for my brain haha! We literally didn't do anything today. Well,
let me back up a little. We had comp study exchanges this morning with
our STL's and the 30 minute video call turned into an hour. It was kinda
normal for me because I've done them before, but Sister Da Mata wasn't
having any of it. After that the day was just so unproductive. Sister Da
Mata literally told me that she didn't feel like working. It was so so
hard to just sit there and watch her write in her journal or scroll of
facebook. I also had the phone for a little bit more time today and I
tried to be productive and respond to messages and send them, but it was
hard. I wrote to President last week that I just want to work and that I
feel like I have so much I can be doing but because of the
circumstances, I feel like I'm not giving my all. He hasn't responded to
me yet haha! Saturday was just really clear that work ethic is huge and
people in Brasil are very much laid back and will get things done when
they have time.
Sunday!! Fast Sunday too...
depending on the person this is either the best Sunday or the worst;) I
honestly had so much on my mind to fast for and think about today.
Fasting in Brasil honestly isn't the worst expect I constantly want
water haha! But as far as being hungry, I honestly dont think I've felt
hungry since being in Brasil. It's a blessing :) Anyways, we went to go
get Roberto for church this morning and when we came out he played the
sick card and said that he couldn't come to church this week. I'm hoping
that next week he'll really be there. We had a pretty sad turnout for
church today but of course the kids were there ;) We tried to get a
picture with all of them too and that was quite the task. We tried our
best and that's what matters. After church we made our way to the bus
stop to head to Paudalho for lunch with Bispo Silva. He wanted to give
us a ride but it was a car full of guys and we aren't allowed to. We
ended up on the most packed bus of all time too haha! Sister Da Mata and
I were standing in the isle with so many other people. The worst is
that the majority of that bus was headed for Recife and not just
Paudalho like us. Bispo Silva is seriously the cutest and I love getting
to talk to him. His son is just waiting for his call right now so we
talked a lot about missions. It's crazy to think that I'm really on a
mission haha! We finished up lunch pretty quickly honestly, I think a
lot of it had to do with the fact that Bispo had a Stake meeting to get
to ;) When we got back it was weekly planning time. Elder Uceda had a
lot of tips and new things to add to our weekly planning so it took a
while this week. I'm excited to implement what he taught us and I think
this week we're actually going to work! I'm so pumped for this week :)
Now, to answer your questions from your email haha!
We
did talk to President Nordfelt about Thais and he told us that we can't
go back to her house and we should try to bring up the church's
addiction recovery program with her husband.
The
rain here smells totally different from the rain at home. The closest
thing I can describe it is that it smells like when it rains in the
mountains. But not like the trees, it smells like the dirt. I think it's
because we have so much dirt and dust here that it smells like that.
I
love the sky in Brasil but I miss the Utah sky so so much!! The
mountains make a huge difference;) But I love the Brasil sky with the
trees
Sister Da Mata has family from the Northwest
so she kinda has traveled but not too much. We've both been in Carpina
for the same amount of time too so we know just about the same haha!
It's
not too hard to travel but it's expensive, everything here is
expensive. Like gas for example is $150 reis. In the US I dont know the
conversion but when I saw that number for only half a tank of gas I was
shocked!
I did make cookies!! Irmã Renata wants to
know how to make them too so I think we have to have a class or
something at the church;) Irmão Amon said his kids loved them too! We
made a ton this week and everyone seemed to really love them :)
I can't wait to talk to you today and share all my thoughts about this week and the mission tour. I love you!! 