Merry Christmas Phone Call!
Sister Garcia was glowing when she called home today. I don't know if it was the overall spirit of the day or if was just simply that it was one more bonus day of a phone call but either way, glowing. While we were on the call with her she was able to open up the gazillion packages that she was able to finally get picked up from the mission home. I have been sending them through folks who live in Brazil but for Sister Garcia to get them and pick them up isn't as easy as I thought it would be. So...the Thanksgiving package and the package that had bug spray and cortisone cream in it...yeah, she opened them on Christmas Day. :/
It was fun to watch as she realized that some of it was from HOME and not just stuff from Brazil. It was also very touching to watch as she handed a stocking full of goodies to Sister Bradbeer too. I didn't want to make her companion feel left out so we were sure to include some small goodies for her as well. I think overall Sister Garcia was thrilled and touched that we did what we could to figure out a way to get a package from home to her. I loved knowing that even though we are in different countries, I was able to send a little love that hopefully touched her heart a little deeper than a gift or package that Bruno put together for her.
Brooklyn was able to talk a little to Sister Garcia and tell her what she got for Christmas as well as just have some sister time to visit. I love listening to the two of them together. Brooklyn misses Sister Garcia something fierce and longs for the day when she will be home again. She tries not to stay on a call too long when given the opportunity because she says it makes her heart hurt and she doesn't really like to cry. I hear her there!!!
I found myself getting a little teary eyed as I knew our call was ending. Sister Garcia didn't want to take too long so that Sister Bradbeer could call her family as well. I miss my kids and I miss having them here for big days like today like nothing I ever thought I could experience! Sister Garcia is happy and loving her mission and as much as I would love that to help soothe my heart some, it just didn't today. I wish she had been here to open gifts, I wanted to watch her eyes light up as she opened up something that she was hoping for, and I just longed to have her next to me in the house moving about. I know this is all temporary and she will be home soon enough but today my heart misses her more than ever. I am grateful to know that Christmas can be celebrated together even in what seems like worlds apart. And I am grateful for the example that Sister Garcia is to all of us here at home as she continues to put the Lord and His work first.
I love you more than you will ever know. I long for you to be home celebrating the holidays with us but I will try my best to be patient as this season of our lives continues to move forward. I pray you know how much I love you and how proud I am to be your Mom. I love you for forever and for always, to the moon and back.
Merry Christmas Sister Garcia,
Mom