Phone Call Home: Monday, December 6, 2021

Bright and holy cow EARLY today

Well...today started with a phone call from Sister Garcia instead of Elder Garcia. Totally swapped things out and I am good with it but it just made my Monday 'off' a little. I usually talk to Sister Garcia later into the morning or early afternoon. I don't care when I talk to them, I am just sure glad I get the chance to each Monday. And I am sure glad that Sister Garcia calls. I remember when she was getting ready to start the Home CTM and she said she wasn't sure she would really even call each Monday. Phew! Thank goodness that isn't something I have to wonder anymore. :) 

Sister Garcia was so funny to talk to today. She was speaking so quickly and jumping from English to Portuguese. I had a hard time keeping up with her for a minute but then when I realized what direction she was headed in it all made more sense to me. Well, the English stuff anyways. 

Sister Garcia and Sister Da Mata were called yesterday by President Nordfelt to let them know that as much as he hates to separate them, they are being torn apart and get this..both are headed to be trainers! The even crazier part is that Sister Garcia will be training an American fresh out of the home MTC and Sister Da Mata will be training a sister from Brazil. This didn't seem weird to me but Sister Garcia said it is basically unheard of. Usually an American will train a non-American and a Brazilian will train a non-Brazilian. Sister Garcia said that when President Nordfelt called them he told them both that as much as he tried to swap the companions so it would be 'normal', the Lord continued to remind him that He needed the companionships to be as they are. I loved hearing this. For a couple of reasons. One, I remember when I would talk to Sister Garcia and she was unsure of why the Lord wouldn't send her to Brazil while others were flying there and she was in Boston. I remember telling her that He was saving her for a bigger purpose and that He needed her to really hone in on her language and get super comfortable as a missionary so that when she did arrive in Brazil she could hit the ground running. She did all of those things and has continued to do so since being in Brazil. The other thing I love is that it is so black and white how much the Lord Himself is in control of His church and His missionaries. He is so mindful of all of them and to be able to send that revelation to President Nordfelt, and for President Nordfelt to have the faith to follow that receipt, is so touching on my heart. What a humbling way to start my day with hearing that as it is 4am here, the Lord is already in full swing doing His thing to make sure Israel is gathered in. 

Here is what Sister Garcia has to say about this transfer. Because she will be a trainer she will remain in Carpina for the next two (2) transfers. That is a total of 12 weeks. That puts her into March which means when she is done training this new daughter she will have a mere 4 months left on her entire mission! You should have seen her face when she was telling me this. Slight freak out but a huge grin too. Her new companion arrives to Brazil on Friday the 10th and Sister Da Mata is moving out one day earlier than planned (tomorrow, which also happens to be her birthday - December 7). This means that Sister Garcia will essentially be alone but not really because President Nordfelt would never allow that to happen. So this is how it will all play out, the two other Sister Missionaries in the other area do not have water again so they will come into Sister Garcia's apartment tomorrow. This makes Sister Garcia a member of a trio. Sister Da Mata will go pick up her new daughter and take her to open a new area that she will be in charge of. (Side note...so excited for Sister Da Mata. She will be wonderful) So, Sister Garcia will be in a trio from Tuesday until Friday when she will go into the Mission Presidents home and get her new companion. (And I am also hoping she will be able to receive the packages that we have sent her! Fingers crossed!) Sister Garcia does not know anything more about her new companion she is getting this week and she is slightly nervous in regards to teaching an American (English speaking) companion the ropes in Portuguese in Brazil. She said she can remember her language skill out of the Home CTM and she is worried that this new Sister will be similar. Portuguese has become such a normal for her and English is second. Real life. I can see it and hear it when I read her emails or when I talk to her on Mondays so I get it. I can totally see the apprehension. But then I reminded Sister Garcia of her email that she just sent home today. She talks about how she has relied on the Holy Ghost for the duration of her mission and how not one day has gone by that she has been afraid. This is just another one of those times that she needs to rely, and TRUST, that the Holy Ghost will be right alongside her helping her through this new experience. I have ZERO doubt that she won't be just downright amazing. She will be this new missionaries biggest blessing yet. We are our own worst critics and Sister Garcia reminded me of that this morning when I talked to her. I am sure, actually I am certain, that as soon as these two sweet Sisters meet the anxiety she is feeling will lessen and she will get right into what needs to be done. 

Sister Garcia and Sister Da Mata were busy cleaning, deep cleaning, their apartment today as well. Apparently they got a message that said they needed to do that and send videos and pictures to Sister Nordfelt to get it passed off. If they don't do it, or don't do it well, they will both be charged $20. A little overwhelming for these two as they are spending their last P-day getting Sister Da Mata packed one day earlier than planned, arranging for two Sisters to move in for a little less than a week, and there is plenty of stuff (like residue from tape, dirt from no glass panes in windows, etc) that was either there prior to them arriving or just plain impossible in the condition that they live to get it 'deep cleaned'. Sister Garcia says they are not dirty (which I totally believe) but they were giving it a good go and divided it up and were working together to get it done. 

Another huge high for Sister Garcia is that she found out that on December 22 she will have the opportunity to go and do an Endowment session at the Recife Temple! I could just cry typing this. I am so excited for her! Covid ruined the chance for her to go back after she took out her own Endowment and so having an opportunity to be back inside and to remember those sweet covenants she made with the Lord prior to serving a mission will be one of those priceless moments for her. And in the Recife temple to boot! Totally rad! 

Sister Garcia and Sister Da Mata were blessed by some ward members to a fun little lunch yesterday after church as a Happy Birthday celebration for Sister Da Mata and a 'we know transfers are this week so we wanna say goodbye' kind of thing. So sweet! She said that each member that was there each took a turn to say super kind things about the both of them and also how grateful they are for the work that they are doing and the hard work that they both put in each day while in Carpina. Sister Garcia said that one of the Sisters (I can't remember or even if I did I would butcher a spelling) said that she didn't want to say anything and was on the verge of tears! This makes my heart hurt for this tender woman I don't even know! She knows a really great thing has happened in her life by having these two missionaries there and I love that they both touched her heart enough to help her see and recognize the blessing of being a part of their lives. 

We talked about her baptism she had lined up yesterday for Mayara. Mayara has been pretty sick for almost 10 days now and it sounds like it is from the Covid. So to keep everyone safe they have pushed her baptism day to next Sunday, December 12th. I was a crazy person yesterday and kept refreshing the Google Photo drive to see if there were any baptism pictures from Sister Garcia and was all sorts of sick as I climbed into bed that nothing was uploaded. To say I was thrilled that it was just the Covid that cancelled is an understatement. But then to learn that Sister Garcia will be staying in Carpina and will be there next Sunday to partake and be a part of this special day just about made my whole heart burst out of my chest! She has been there from the beginning with this sweet Sister and I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like to know that you have brought 1 piece of the Lords puzzle back to the fold. I am so thrilled for her and will continue to  keep them all in our prayers for health, happiness, peace, and gratitude in hearts for the good that this Gospel brings.

I asked Sister Garcia how she is feeling about this transfer news and if she is genuinely happy to be staying. Without fail, Sister Garcia answered this without hesitation and with a profound lesson I hope to be able to remember for the rest of my life. Sister Garcia said that President Mav (MBM) told her once that you can want to stay in an area or with a companion but you need to have an open heart and mind to what the Lord wants and/or needs for His work to move forward. If you end up being transferred or if you get a new companion and have to leave one you love behind, don't be angry. You can be sad but don't be mad. If you are mad your new area, your new companion, those members in that area, the friends you are supposed to looking to find, and the progressing of the Lords work will suffer because of your attitude. So as much as she loves the members that are in Carpina and she obviously wanted to see Mayara's baptism, she was open to knowing that no matter what President Nordfelt told her, she would do because the Lord is in charge. She is freaking amazing! I mean seriously...be open. Simple as that. And trust in the Lord. He clearly knows what needs to happen in ALL the things so...duh. It's a no brainer. I love these small tender moments that I get to learn from her. I wonder if she even has any idea the lessons she has taught me over the course of her mission.

Another blessing of staying in Carpina is that the Bishop's son is waiting for his mission call. He has been so great and the Sister Missionaries have made good friends with him. They collectively are all thrilled for him to be able to serve as well. Sister Garcia will be there in Carpina when his call comes in and she could not be more excited for that opportunity. Sister Garcia said that Lehi (that's how you say it in the English) wrote both her and Sister Da Mata a note and they were able to go get that from him last night. I of course had to ask her if it was all in Portuguese and she said yes. I don't know why I would assume it wouldn't have been. HA! She is going to have some cool souvenirs from this time she has served. 

We talked weather a little bit. Mostly because it is, according to the weather people, supposed to snow this week here at home. We have had a mild mild November (and it was lovely) and so snow on the horizon is good for things like Lake Powell and what not but I am just not sure I am ready. :) Go figure! Sister Garcia says she is certain it just gets hotter and hotter with each day. She said that last night she was woken up in the middle of the night to her fan falling off of the chair it sits on and sadly, broke. She doesn't know why it all of a sudden decided to do that but now she has to go through the process of requesting a new one and hoping she doesn't melt to her death as she tries to sleep. :) She also mentioned that yesterday while she was getting ready for church she decided to 'get dressed up' or more presentable. She chose to wear her slip on Vans instead of her Chacos. Well, she put on a pair of no show socks and they were fine until they weren't. They started to quit on her and slide off of her foot. Well then it started to sorta rain but she didn't want to stop so they kept pushing on. She said she could feel the shoe itself jabbing into her heel almost like it was cutting it. By the time they got to their apartment, Sister Da Mata was behind her on the stairs and said "Sister! You have so much blood!" Sister Garcia said she was aware and today, she has red/pink tinge on the inside of her slip on shoes and plenty of bandaids on her feet. Her words? "I pretty much WRECKED my feet yesterday". So much for thinking she was doing a good thing with not wearing her go to sandals right?

Sister Garcia is looking for a study plan of some sort in which to study Christ this holiday season. This will be something I will work on today and see if maybe I can reach out to a couple of people, see if Tyler is aware of something, or maybe there is some sort of link I can forward for her to work through. This girl is always trying to better herself in all the things and I admire the heck out of her for doing so. 

She also said that they got a referral this week who brought up some statue that is in the United Nation right now. It is this image...

Totally freaky at first glance but apparently it represents peace. But right now there are also some (okay, a lot) of people who are comparing it to scriptures found in Revelations and saying that this is essentially proof that the Anti-Christ is living in the United Nation and the second coming is basically right around the corner if not today or tomorrow. Sister Garcia said it was the most wild discussion she has ever had with any referral and quite frankly she is good to not move forward with the gentleman she learned all of this from. People are NUTS!

In all, Sister Garcia is doing exceptionally well. She is going to embark on new things this week with a new companion and as a trainer. I am thrilled for her and know she has nothing to worry about. 

Keep doing all the really cool stuff and being you. I am so happy for you as you progress in your mission and beyond words PROUD of you. I love you for forever. To the moon and back always.

Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom