Phone Call Home: Monday, January 31, 2022
| Sister Garcia showed her tan lines...they are AWESOME!! |
| Another week, another group chat |
This week was HARD when it comes to having a chance to steal a small window of time to talk with Sister Garcia. I am in Kauai for the week which put her a full 7 hours ahead of us instead of her regular 4. That meant that in order to have a chance to talk, I was up at 2am. :/ I am much too old to do this so I am sure grateful it isn't a regular weekly thing. (Elder Garcia was a full 10 hours ahead of us on this trip!)
I jumped in on the group call that was underway between these two when I woke up. I love being able to sit and listen most weeks but this week was extremely hard only because I was pretty sleepy. I did love though listening as Sister Garcia gave some good advice to Elder Garcia on his training of his new companion and the foreign language barrier of teaching that instead of falling into comfort of English since it is your home language. He looks up to her a lot and I know he values all that she has to say and offer so I know he will apply these things.
We talked a little about her week and her friend Willamis who is scheduled for his baptism on SATURDAY!!! Oh my goodness. Sister Garcia found him and they have only been teaching him for like 2 weeks is all. He is like a sponge and embracing the Gospel so tightly. He took the Book of Mormon and is reading it like crazy and asking all the right questions. He longs to be inside the temple, a Priesthood holder, and just continuing his life in all things Christ. Sister Garcia lit up immediately when she started sharing this news and I loved watching it play out on the screen in front of me.
I finally had to tap out on the call because I was starting to feel like I was going to throw up I was so tired. I tried to keep my eyes open but it was so early and I had been in Kauai for just a couple of days so my body hasn't really acclimated to the time zone change and I was a mess. I climbed back into bed for a couple of hours and got lucky enough to get a quick phone call with just Sister Garcia (no picture from this...I tell ya, HOT MESS)
Sister Garcia is struggling with a couple of things and just needed to talk it out. I love that she trusts me to call me back, even if it was just for like 3 minutes. Sister Bradbeer is not good when it comes to time management. Like at all. Sister Garcia doesn't do well with this. She likes to be early, she plans ahead as often as she can, and when it comes to Monday missionary stuff...Sister Garcia plans throughout the week to get emails written and scheduled to send to pretty much anyone she wants to reply or chat with. Her thought is then it gives them both equal time to call home and have the shared phone. Sister Bradbeer does not do any of this kind of planning. Instead she waits until Monday to write any and all emails and then still wants the phone for a lengthy call home which takes time away from Sister Garcia. Sister Garcia kept saying that it was fine and it was something she could work on but as she talked and I listened it was clear that she needed to find a window to bring it up. Something simple like "future companions might not be as laid back as I am" or "it would benefit the companionship to have equal as much as possible on Pdays so maybe planning throughout the week would be a good place to start". She agreed that she would do her best to find a way to maybe bring it up. This was a quick call but I am glad that she talked through it and decided to take action rather than sweep it under a rug if you will. :) I will be certain to have directed prayers on her behalf this week in regards to this.
I have total faith in all things Sister Garcia is doing as a missionary and this is just one more learning opportunity for her to grow and progress in. She is proving day after day that she is clearly on the Lords time and He is mindful of her desires and her openness to learn and grow and He is taking good care of her. I couldn't ask for more. I love you to the moon and back.
Mom