Email Home: Monday, February 21, 2022
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
Date: Monday, February 21, 2022
Subject: Exchanges are a lot of work
Hey hey hey! How are you guys?? It
sounds like your week was busier but not too crazy :) Hopefully this
week will be better! Don't worry too much about B too, she's just a
teenager ;) And hey, I'm literally gonna be home so soon. It's going by
so fast ;) This week was all over the place so hold on tight!
Well
it's official, I had my first pday here in Torreão. I can't lie, having
the computer in our apartment makes pday a little easier. Not only that
but we divided the day up and it worked out well and I was able to talk
to more people than normal :) I was glad I was able to talk to you
though and B for a minute. Do you know that I literally only have like
20 more pdays left? I dont know how I feel about that... I wanna be a
missionary forever honestly but with you guys here haha! Anywho, we were
in charge of media today because we have a lot of exchanges this week
and wanted to avoid doing media on the exchanges. It was pretty normal
though, nothing too crazy or wild, just a lot of phone calls. Pday went
by so fast though! I'm just glad that I got to talk to you for a minute
:)
Tuesday it really hit me that I'm an STL haha! I
had my first exchange and I literally had no idea what I was doing, I
was just along for the ride. I got to go to Vasco with Sister Jones and
Sister Da Silva came here to Torreão. Sister Jones was in the other
American district when I was in the CTM and is half Brazilian so she's
been here her whole mission. I won't lie, I was pretty nervous and they
both were acting kind of weird when we started the divisão. When we go
to Vasco I quickly learned that being in Brasil is not a guarantee to
learn the language. Sister Jones hasn't gotten the language hardly at
all and people don't understand her. Sister Da Silva asked me to try and
help her with the language too. It's hard though because she doesn't
really want to try or change anything that she's doing right now. I
don't speak Portugues perfectly but I was struggling to understand her.
Sister Jones is a little tricky too so it was a bit of a harder day. We
ended up talking a lot about the language and I tried my best but in the
end it's gonna come down to her and if she's willing to try. We had a
good day though and spent the majority of day on the street with some
really amazing members visiting less actives and street contacting. We
found a ton of new people too so that was pretty rad :) It was a good
day and I hope that I was able to help Soster Jones and help the
area/companionship. Not only that but we've been having a few problems
with this set of sisters and the district here so I tried to slyly talk
about it but ended up just getting to the point. I can't sugar coat
things I've learned haha! I just hope that it came across in a loving
way. Tuesday night Sister Jones started to not feel so good and spent a
fat minute in the bathroom so it was a late night, not my favorite but
what can you do? I just wanted her to feel better and to sleep haha! I
was a little sad that I didn't get to call B for her birthday but I did
send her a video so hopefully that's okay :) It's crazy to think that
this time last year I was home finishing up the CTM. Wild!
Wednesday
we finished up the divisão and boy did we have a lot to talk about. I
can't imagine what it's like to be a parent haha! I'm only taking care
of 6 sisters and I'm losing sleep and worried about them and their areas
and their well being and just everything. And we have our area and the
social media side too, gotta love it ;) Wednesday was a pretty slow day
though. We spent a lot of the day talking about the divisão and how we
can help the sisters in Vasco. It's funny too, I haven't been here for
too long but I was glad to see Sister Scioli again too haha! We didn't
have too many people to contact as far as social media goes so that was
kind of sad and the people that did answer just hung up. We did have
some good jam out sessions though, Sister Scioli loves that my music is
faster and not just hinos. We spent a good portion of the day and night
singing random songs and the best is that Sister Scioli doesn't know the
words in English so it's just a whole bunch of mumbling and I have to
try and figure out what she's saying. I love her haha! We also decided
at roughly 9pm that we wanted açaí so we started to find a good açaí
place and after about 20 and s lot of confusing messages we succeeded:) I
still think the açaí in Carpina is better (and way cheaper!) but it was
good to have açaí again:) We also finished up everything for Zone
Conference. We have to give a training so we finished up our slide show
and practiced a few things. I dont know what I'm doing so winging it is
gonna have to do haha! It's also weird to think that I'm an STL and am
giving the training, normally I sit and listen to everyone else talk.
New adventures I guess :)
Thursday was the big
Zone Conference day! It was kind of funny too, no one knows that I'm
here so this was the first time that people knew that I'm here instead
of Sister Canha. It's big shoes to fill that's for sure, but the Zone is
fun and welcoming. I got to see Sister Zaugg too! I dont know as many
people in this zone but that's just part of it. We gave our training and
it actually went pretty okay which was a huge relief haha! Zone
Conference was too good! President Nordfelt recently has just been
saying everything that I need to hear. Not only that but Sister Nordfelt
gave a killer talk and analogy about making cookies. Normally that's
always the analogy but this time she found things that I've never
thought of before. It was super good :) We did have a problem with the
Sisters in Vasco though so we had to try and resolve that so that was
kind of a bummer. I just hope they can make it to the end of the
transfer here in a week or so. Thursday was a day of getting stuff taken
care of too. After Zone Conference, Sister Scioli needed to get a
booster for Hep B with some other missionaries so we got to wait in this
long line and I got to talk to the other missionaries. Elder Reis is my
Zone Leader and he had a million questions so it was more like 20
questions while waiting haha! After she got her booster we had to go to
the office to take car of my mission phone. Basically MAAS360 does
updates and because my phone is turned off it's not updating. Well
because it's not updating it will literally destroy my phone so we had
to take MAAS360 off my mission phone. We had a ton of Americans in one
room with so many phones haha! That's why there were a few uploads on my
photos that dont make sense;) I needed to upload them because we
factory reset my mission phone. It was kind weird to have that phone
again though I won't lie. It was pretty quick but one Elder literally
couldn't remember his password and I felt so bad. We also picked up and
English Connect book for Sister Scioli because Sister Nordfelt teaches
english and the missionaries that participate need the practice book. We
also decided to talk to her about the Sisters in Vasco because we dont
know what we can do for them. She was glad we talked to her because she
didn't know anything was even wrong. I feel like a giant tattle tale but
at the same time we're at a loss and President and Sister Nordfelt have
more power to change things. It was quite the day to say the least
haha! We didn't end up leaving the escritório until like 5:30pm when it
was all said and done. You'll never guess what we saw though! We were in
the uber coming back to the apartment and there was this guy in the
middle of the road with a sign. Normally it's for food or money right??
Nope! He was holding a sign that said he was looking for girlfriend
that's blonde haha! The uber driver thought it was just as funny as we
did haha!
This week went by fast not gonna lie. It
could be the fact that we had 2 exchanges this week and it was just go,
go, go. Friday we had a divisão with the sisters in Casa Forte. I
stayed here in Torreão with Sister Lima! We had to stay in social media
too so I was a little worried but I got it all figured out and I was
worried for nothing. We even had to go get our lunch money and I didn't
get lost! Woot woot! Sister Lima is super sweet and is actually the
daughter of Sister Canha so that's kinda fun. She loves to talk though,
like more than I do. Her and her companion Sister Roza are the same and
it was funny to hear from Sister Scioli when it was all said and done.
We have some problems with these sisters because they hang out with the
elders in their district almost every day. We decided to talk to them
about it more in depth during the exchanges and I was nervous how it was
gonna go. When I brought it up, Sister Lima just kind of brushed it
off. Her and her companion don't really like to be corrected so it makes
things complicated. Ahhhhhh. Anywho, it was a good divisão and Sister
Lima told me she had a good time. We also taught this dentist that was a
referencia from the AP's. She's a little closed off but she let us
teach so I'm gonna take that as a win haha! She's super sweet though and
reminds me of a grandma. Sister Lima also really wanted açaí soooooooo
you already know what happened haha! I really might have an addiction;)
It was totally worth it though and a good way to end the night and talk
about some stuff. I think I'm getting the hang of exchanges but really
no one knows what we're doing, we all just wing it as missionaries
haha!
Saturday was a day to report about
everything honestly haha! We finished our divisão with the Sisters in
Casa Forte and started to talk about the 2 exchanges we had this week.
Not only that but we spent way too long trying to order lunch. We had
money but by the time we ended the divisão it was 12pm so prime time for
the whole world to get lunch. We literally studied and did contacted
people while we waited for our food to show up. We had lunch at like
2:30pm haha! It was a luta but it was good and it was kind of a win
because we didn't want to eat dinner so we didn't have to make anything
haha! Sister Scioli and I did a lot of talking about the sisters too. We
think that this next transfer is gonna be full of new changes and we
think that President Nordfelt is just gonna mix everything up. We're all
just here for the ride haha! We also got a message from the ward saying
that the capela has been having problems with energy so church is going
to be at the stake center and are 10:30am instead of 9am like normal.
That meant we had to send the new address to our friends to make sure
they dont go to the capela haha! Saturday night we literally grinded so
hard on Livro de Area too. We contacted so many people because the AP's
sent so many referencias. Basically into he past our area was part of
their area but now it's Torreão A and Torreão B. So the AP's cleaned out
their Livro de Area and sent us a million people that are in our area,
that meant a lot of contacts. It was honestly good but we were both so
tired too. Going on exchanges twice in the semana is hard haha! But it
was good :) Sister Scioli and I have a good time too so that helps :)
Sunday
was such a good day as always! Today was quite the adventure too. So
our capela doesn't have power so we got to go to the Stake center for
church today. The stake center is also the mission office so it was a
little strange to be there for church and not for something for the
mission. The office Elders were there too so it was kind of like a mini
mission Conference haha! Church was good though and one of our sweet
members gave us a ride. Bênçãos! After church we had lunch with Irmã
Camilla too! The AP's didn't get to eat with us today though because
there wasn't another guy in the house so it was just us. Irmã Camilla is
so fun though and I love her :) She recently just bought a new puppy
too so I got to play with him. He loves to bite though so my hand has a
few marks but so worth it, he's so cute! I also learned how to make
farofa too! It's super simple and I'm gonna be a real Brazilian chef
here soon;) Sunday went by so fast too, before I knew it we needed to
wrap things up for the night. We didn't have anything too wild, just
weekly planning and getting ready for this week. I can't wait to talk to
you! I love you forever and always 
