Phone Call Home: Monday, February 7, 2022
What a week...wow. Where to even begin? Sister Garcia called today and said "Guess what Mom? I have news." Well...start talking already! :)
Sister Garcia received a phone call this morning from President Nordfelt saying that she is leaving TOMORROW to go to Recife to become an STL!!! What? This is so exciting! She will be sharing a ward with the Assistants to the President and will get a new companion, Sister Scioli, as well. Transfers aren't technically for another 3 weeks or so but it appears that is not the case for my sweet girl. Apparently the other STL, Sister Canha, is having some medical issues and is headed home. It is something that cannot wait which is why the transfer is immediate. To say that Sister Garcia is a ball of emotions is quite frankly an understatement.
To try and take a break for a minute on all of this excitement we got to talking about the baptism she had on Saturday for Willamis. This gentleman was someone who Sister Garcia found, who she taught (for a short period of 2 weeks is all!), and who she stood beside as he entered the waters of baptism. She reflected on just how cool it was to watch as he was walking into the font and to be able to witness the pure happy that was on his face. She was genuinely worried that day because there weren't any members present for his baptism and he didn't have any family there either but then she said that she remembered the day she took out her endowment at the temple and how it was just her, me, and Tyler. She remembered the focus of that day and that there wasn't any outside distractions that got in the way. She said that as she sat in Willamis baptism and thought of her own experiences as she has walked on her path through this Gospel, her heart was overwhelmed with just plain happiness. She literally lit up the whole screen on my phone as I listened to her talk about this! I wish I could capture that in a photo so that it could be an endless reminder of how hard work and the Lord's timing all come together for these sweet missionaries. When I asked about his family Sister Garcia shared that his Mom is brutally honest when it comes to joining any church. She told the Sisters that if she was going to join then she was going to join and commit 100% and she just wasn't ready for that right now. But she is supportive of Willamis and I guess he told her that before the Sisters came over for his lessons that she needed to put her drink away because alcohol isn't good. :) And Sister Garcia said that she totally respected him and did just that. Maybe as time goes on the example that Willamis is and the happiness that he has found in his life will rub off on his Mom and one day she too will enter those same waters of baptism. A trickle effect of my sweet girl.
Sister Garcia didn't have long to talk today for obvious reasons. She had to get laundry done, all packed up, and she wanted to be able to let the ward members who have taken care of her since day 1 of arriving in Brazil 5 1/2 months ago, goodbye. It was absolutely heartbreaking to listen to her say the word 'goodbye'. I could not only see the sadness but I could physically feel the pain she had in her heart knowing how sudden and unprepared she was to do just that today. She loves these people and in turn, they love her! The relationships, the trust, the love and care that they have given her has truly made Brazil her 2nd home. Carpina especially.
Our time came to an end on a video call and Sister Garcia went about her business to get things squared away. I later on that evening (like 9:30 or 10pm her time) got a Facebook message asking about how much a plane ticket would cost to get her from Utah to Sao Paulo. I googled it and plane tickets start at roughly $1100. I told her and then asked why. Her reply nearly ripped my heart into pieces!!! She said that no matter the cost she has got to find a way to come back after she gets home. She needs to be able to go back to Carpina and she needs to be able to find these dear ward members and give them a hug that she feels she got robbed of. I promised her that I would be more than happy to help in whatever way I can to be able to make this work for her.
Sister Garcia is going to be an amazing STL and I totally believe that President Nordfelt knew it from the moment he met her when she arrived in Brazil. She is going to continue to bless the people there and she is going to continue to touch lives that will go on for many generations yet to come. I am so excited to watch the growth that will come from this and to witness the happy that serving these other Sisters will bring. My goodness...what a way to start a Monday. Moving day is tomorrow for Sister Garcia. Watch out Recife...here she comes!
I love you for forever and for always,
Mom