Phone Call Home: Monday, March 28, 2022

It is official...this girl has 99 days left of her mission and when I told her that I was supposed to remind her of her "Golden Plates" her eyeballs just about jumped out of her face! Ha. I need to email her and ask her what that is...I know she told me once when she was in Boston but that was seriously forever ago. Stay tuned...I will update hopefully next Monday. :) 

Sister Garcia was feeling a little sleepy today but she promises nothing to be worried about. She was beyond thrilled to report that they also got their fridge fixed and they FINALLY have ice and frozen stuff again! (They still have the other fridge in the kitchen that doesn't freeze anything so that is fun but she doesn't care because yay for frozen things!)

I am going to bullet point some things we talked about this week so I don't forget and so she can look back and remember as well:

- Sister Garcia only went on one (1) exchange this week
- Sister Scioli's poor knee has still been bugging her but the good news is that she is slated to receive a cortisone shot on Wednesday. Yay! Prayers for her for sure
- Sister Garcia will be receiving her Covid Booster shot on Tuesday this week. I sure hope that this goes better for her than it did for me. The booster was the worst shot of the three for me and had me down for the next two days. I will keep Sister Garcia in my prayers heavy on Tuesday indeed
- Sister Garcia is hopeful that as they go into the next transfer on April 13th that her and Sister Scioli will stay together so that she can 'kill off' Sister Scioli at the end of her mission. I secretly hope for this too.
- Sister Garcia has sent a couple of audio messages to Elder Rose with some concerns that are weighing heavy on her heart. He has a different pday (Tuesday) and he has finally responded and although frustrated with the situation of being missionaries, Sister Garcia is glad that they have at least opened the door to things. I am certain she will be able to continue moving forward on her mission and serving as she has but I also know that there are things here at home that are taking her attention.
- Sister Garcia was able to attend a celebration of 180 years of Relief Society. While she was getting ready to leave there were a whole bunch of Institute kids on the next floor. They started talking with the missionaries and there happened to be a young man who noticed Sister Garcia right away. After talking for a minute she realized that he was at the temple the day she arrived in Brazil and was doing the 'tour' with President and Sister Nordfelt. Anyways, they chatted briefly but he remembered her and so they got to talking. He also mentioned that his sister has recently been called to serve in the Temple Square mission! So fun. Sister Garcia is hopeful that she will be able to find some time to head downtown and find this girl and have a conversation about her time in Brazil and her brother too. I love just how small the world really is.
- Sister Garcia was so thrilled this week to find a new friend who was familiar with the church and the teachings from a previous boyfriend. Sister Garcia and Sister Scioli talked with her and she literally already has faith and a belief in the Book of Mormon! Sister Garcia says that this lady 'literally fell out of the sky'. :) Hopefully things will continue with the Sisters and this new friend will one day be able to enter the waters of baptism. 

One thing that was very clear this week when talking with Sister Garcia is that the talk of coming home and what is waiting for her is weighing VERY heavy on her heart. She is getting talk from us here at home, she is talking with Brynlee each week about her upcoming wedding (that is 2 days after Sister Garcia gets home), she gets emails from others that are influencing her thoughts as well. She has made it very clear that she has every desire to finish out her mission strong and when she talked with President Nordfelt he suggested that when things like this come up she should just politely let them (anyone who is creating this kind of heavy on her heart) know that she is a missionary and as much as she appreciates and loves that they are looking forward to coming home, she has a focus that she needs to remain committed to for the small window of time that she has left. This was black and white for me that I too fall short in this and she deserves better from me and from our home. 

As we closed out our day via the Facebook messages I wanted Sister Garcia to know that I heard her and that moving forward I am going to continue to support her as a full time missionary. I reminded her how much I love her and that there will be plenty of time to worry about things here at home. I let her know that she has thoughts and prayers for her and her companion daily from home and that I am willing to do whatever we need to in order to help make these last few months the best yet of her whole mission. This girl will continue to do all the great things and she will lay foundations for plenty still to come but I sure don't think that it would hurt to have extra prayers on her behalf in making sure that this is indeed the case. Sister Garcia has served her mission with the most humble heart and the most trust and faith in the Lord than anyone I have ever met. She committed to this the moment she hit submit on her mission papers and she continues each day the moment she opens her eyes. I am so proud of all she is doing and all the hard work and efforts that she puts in. I am so proud to be her Mom! I am thrilled to sit back and watch as she closes out her service. I know that many great opportunities still await her and many lives are waiting for the betterment of having a chance to meet my sweet girl. 

Embrace these last moments. I am cheering you on from home as loudly and as proudly as I can. I love you to the moon and back. 

Mom
 

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom