Phone Call Home: Monday, April 11, 2022
![]() |
| Sister Garcia in Brazil, Elder Garcia in Africa, Mom and Robyn in Kauai |
This was a SUPER early Monday for me to jump on a call with Sister Garcia this week but only because I am back in Kauai. :) It was a 4am wake up but totally worth it! And as we started our call Robyn was awake and she decided to jump in and say hello and catch up to hear what these missionaries have going on in their worlds.
Sister Garcia is feeling the "Mom" world of being and STL and trying to figure out a lot of the ins and outs of being the leader without hurting feelings along the way. The exchanges this week were tricky and there was some backstabbing going on with Sister Scioli (which by the way puts Sister Garcia into total defense mode and I love it), Sister Garcia called out another Sister for feelings towards her (Sister Garcia) that don't make any sense, and through all of this she remains happy and thriving.
This was a big week for Sister Garcia in terms of mission news. Sister Scioli has officially received her travel home plans! Oh my goodness. This just means that she only has six (6) weeks left on her mission! She played a small trick on Sister Garcia and said that she had something she wanted to show her so Sister Garcia walked in and looked at the laptop and they both had a freak out moment together. So sweet. These two have really created quite the friendship and bond and I am so grateful for the time that they have had to serve together. Transfers were also this week. Sister Garcia and Sister Scioli have been hoping that they will stay together so that Sister Garcia could 'kill off' Sister Scioli on her mission. When I asked what the transfer news was Sister Garcia said "hang on, Sister Scioli has something she wants to tell you". I was seriously freaking out! I have been praying that these two stay together so I wasn't sure what to think or even expect. Well...Sister Scioli gets on the call, wraps her arms around Sister Garcia's neck, and with the biggest grin ever says "I am staying with Sister Garcia!" I literally burst into tears I was so happy. Sister Scioli is so sweet. She just kept saying in her best English "I am so happy". I don't even know this girl and yet I just love and adore her. So...good news. Sister Garcia will kill off Sister Scioli and when that day comes, Sister Garcia will officially only have 6 weeks left. Holy holy crapola!
During my time with Sister Garcia, Elder Garcia jumped in on a call with us. We all know what happens when these two get 'face to face' so I snuggled into the sofa and just listened. Sister Garcia gave Elder Garcia some sound advice as he heads into a new role as District Leader. She gave him some things to be mindful of and kept grilling him with obedience. There are some things that Elder Garcia is doing that are wrong (and he puts photos of them on his drive so Sister Garcia is aware of them) and when Sister Garcia called him out he of course wanted to make it so it wasn't wrong. :) Typical brother sister stuff but this time Sister Garcia would not back down. She pulled out her Preach My Gospel and read right from it to Elder Garcia and continued to push obedience and how the other Elders that he will have in his District will be looking to him for how they should be as missionaries as well. I pray he will heed her words and take those things she suggested and advised on and put them right square on his heart.
We had a boat tour that we had to leave early for so I didn't get a super long call today but I was grateful for the small bit that I did get. I love being able to see the light in Sister Garcia's eyes and I love being able to watch the smile on her face grow as she talks about things that are going on in her life day to day. I cannot believe we have 12 pdays left is all with her. Only 12 more Mondays to go and I will FINALLY get my hug that feels like it is way over due at this point. :) No matter the early hours on Mondays, they will always be the best way to start a day and a week off.
I am so proud of all you continue to do. Keep up the good work and know that I love you for forever and for always, no matter what!
Mom
