Phone Call Home: Monday, April 4, 2022

Ahhh Sister Garcia is happy and thriving and loving being right where she is! Does life get any better as a parent when you see this all playing out for your kids? I don't know. I mean, I would love it if she was able to be doing all the things she is and that we could talk whenever we wanted instead of just once a week buuuuttt...I will not complain and I will embrace all the things she is doing and sharing with me along the way. :) 

Some highlights from our call this week:

- Sister Scioli did not get her cortisone shot like they had hoped. She had a wild reaction to the Covid booster so they will reschedule her yet again to try and make this happen for her

- Sister Garcia received her Covid booster. This time was a Pfizer even though her first two doses were Moderna. She says she feels fine and that it wasn't a big deal.

- Sister Garcia had some 'Uber madness' this week! They needed to get an Uber lined up but all of the office staff was in some sort of a meeting/training so they ended up asking the AP's for some help and thankfully they were able to do so and get back to their apartment.

- Sister Garcia said that at some point on Monday she hurt her back. Not like debilitating hurt but more like a pinched nerve. She was funny. She just kept saying "I kept a prayer in my heart because man, we have work to do!" She took some Aleve, used some stuff that is like Icy Hot, climbed into bed and slept well enough, and got up on Tuesday feeling much better. And she continued to feel better the rest of the week. (I think sometimes our own bodies tell us when we have been doing too much and beg us to slow down by creating stuff like this that forces us to...just my own Mom musings here.)

- Sister Garcia and Sister Scioli are over the media. Not really something that Sister Garcia loves but she does it because she was asked and she gives it her all. They share this responsibility with another set of Sisters who for whatever reason decided this week to jump on and do media when they wanted. Sister Garcia decided that instead of being angry and upset she would study a little on 'Free Agency' and then help use this as a tool of teaching when it comes to communication. They will have exchanges later this week with these Sisters and will use this tool as one to help convey the importance of being diligent and consistent. There is a lot of money the church puts out each month for the media purposes, the people who are looking for the Gospel deserve consistency, and overall it is just a good lesson to learn that if you have been assigned specifics, you stick with them. Even if they don't always line up the way you had hoped.

- Sister Garcia lit up this week on our call when she talked about a 14 year old girl that they invited to watch General Conference with the Young Women. She not only showed up but she actually said she enjoyed it. She put her phone down and listened and even shared some of her most favorite parts with the Sisters. It probably was the highlight of the call this week to see how happy Sister Garcia was sharing this. She knows the importance of the Gospel but she LIVES for General Conference so for a young teenage girl to have loved it too...it's a total win. Sister Garcia loved this Conference and realizes it will be the last one she will be able to listen to as a missionary. Lots of bittersweet feelings for sure but as usual, never a complaint and instead always gratitude for the ones she has had as a missionary.

- Sister Garcia is officially entering her last 12 weeks as a missionary! Say what?! This mission has flown by for me here at home that I often wonder if it has done the same for her. I can't wait to have that conversation when she gets home. With her having 12 weeks, that means Sister Scioli is down to 6 more pdays is all. Wow. Just wow. 

- Things with the Covid are starting to loosen up some in Brazil for Sister Garcia. She is no longer required to wear a mask unless she is in an Uber or on Public Transportation. Yay! I tell ya, this was such a good day here in the US and I was begging for it to happen there for her too. 

- We were just about ready to end our call when Sister Garcia mentioned that she was starting to lose hair (and like chunks of it) and she hasn't had a period since she got to Brazil. Um....you just drop that like no big deal? Funny. So, I reached out to Sister Nordfelt in an email and explained it and she was simply wonderful and replied back that yes it was normal and in fact her own teenage daughter experienced the same things. She asked me to pass on to have Sister Garcia keep notice on her period and let her know if anything more 'irregular' comes up. I seriously am so grateful for Sister Nordfelt! Having Sister Garcia out of the house and country for that matter, is a little easier knowing she has a 'mom' taking care of her. 

I cannot believe we are down to 12 weeks. Seriously, this mission has flown by and the days seem to get shorter each week. Here's your weekly reminder to relish in all things Brazil and enjoy every last second of each day. Those around you are witnessing a true representative of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ through you. You make Him (and me) proud with each breath you take. Until next week!

I love you to the moon and back,

Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom