Email Home: Monday, May 9, 2022
From: Kaitlyn.garcia@missionary.org
Date: Monday, May 9, 2022
Subject: Whatta week...
Hello hello! This week was busy so I'm just gonna hop right into this :)
Monday was a good pday! Crazy with the Zone but still good :) It's
always good to get to hangout with everyone and see them. I even got to
sign Elder Cowley and Elder Evans ties that you sent them haha! It was a
good time and Elder Cowley told me that we're friends so I call that a
win! Riverton vs. Herriman doesn't exist anymore haha! I was so glad
that I was able to talk to you too! And Brynlee :) Pday just went by
super quick and full of contacts for media stuff. It was a good pday and
I'm so super grateful for you guys too! :)
Tuesday was a day of rain haha! Apparently it's going into winter here
so that means rhat it just rains a ton. I like the rain but I decided
that I could never live in a place that it just rains with no sun, it's
so depressing! Anywho, Tuesday we had exchanges with Casa Forte! Not
gonna lie I was a little nervous about this exchange just because we
have ine Sister there that kinda made a mess of things last transfer
(phone calls with Presidente kinda mess) I got to stay here in the area
with Sister Bügs and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. She really
likes to talk and she knows English so she kept switching from English
to Portuguese, that may or may not be me when I get home haha! It was a
good exchange and I'm glad that I was able to get to know her a little
better and make my own opinion of her instead of just going off of past
experiences. We had so many things fall through too so we spent all day
on the street contacting people but of course none of them lived here.
Not only that but no one really wanted to pass their number or anything.
I was a little frustrated just because we contacted so many people and
nothing :/ But what can you do? It was a good day and we had a lot of
good moments. We also got some really yummy açaí;)
Wednesday Sister Scioli came back to Torreão with me and we got to work
with our referencias and did our little exchange download haha! All in
all it wasn't too terrible and we were able to chat a little bit about
how we can help the Sisters more. We had pur studies and Presidente
Nordfelt asked us to study something specific specific prep for our
special DC we're having on Friday. I got to study President Nelson's
talk about how our faith can move mountains. It was super good to read
it again and overall a really good study:) Would highly recommend! We
didn't have anything too wild for our referencias on Wednesday. Sister
Scioli is still loosing her voice a little bit so I did most of the
talking because no one understood her haha! It was good though. We also
got to chatting a little bit just about transfers and I have no clue
what's gonna happen, maybe I'll ask President what he thinks. It was a
long night of phone calls and lessons but it was good to get to teach!
We have new ads that talk about baptism so it was fun to get to change
things up :) I alsp realized that this week marks only 2 months until I
come home, how freaking wild is that?!
Thursday would normally be a DC day but President Nordfelt wants to have
a special DC so it got moved to Friday. Friday is busy day but I'll get
into that a little later ;) Thursday I finally got to do some exercise!
I haven't been doing anything lately because we've been busy and it
carries into the morning sometimes. It was good to get loving though and
I think it will continue to be a habit for me after the mission ;)
Friday we had a lot going on haha! We had a Brasil wide technology
meeting in the afternoon but President Nordfelt was in interviews so he
didn't send the link and we had to get it from Recife Sul. Woops! It was
good and then after we had a meeting with just a few people in our
mission to talk about what we learned and how we can apply it. We then
started brainstorming for our Zone conference training that's next week.
I've been racking my brain on that and another activity for the ward
for next Saturday. We then left to go to all of our lessons. We went to
go visit our pal Carlos but it turned into a contact bwcause he didn't
have time. We decoded that while we were close we should stop at Paula's
house. She's the sweetest little old lady and I love her! She lost her
husband and her son this past year and of course it's been really hard
on her. This is only the second time we've met with her but the lesson
was so good :) We talked about o Plano de Salvação and it was so so
good! It just kinda flowed too, she was just asking all the right
questions and we had àll the answers. At the end of the lesson she even
offered us some juice, how sweet is that?! We then bumped a few things
down and made quick phone to a Vindeacristo.org
referencia that's so solid! I'm actually super excited about her :) We
then made our way to Sergio's house to try and talk to them again. It
was a mess to say the least. I'm just so frustrated with them. Mas pelo
menos Analice talked to us and apparently she's going to some kind of
camp with the YW on Saturday. I don't even know, if she goes she goes
and maybe it'll be good :) We were in our way back and Sister Scioli
told me that she needed to stop at the farmacia to get some girl stuff
because it was not a good day. Little did I know though that the people
in front of us were gonna buy the whole store! They literally took so
long I can't even tell you! It all worked out though and we got it all
taken care of haha!
Well, Friday was a day that I never ever thought would happen on my
mission. Friday we were doing our studies and Sister Scioli told me that
President Nordfelt was calling so of course we answered and boy was I
not ready. President Nordfelt had news that Sister Scioli's Aunt passed
away early in the morning. He really wanted to do it personally but
because there were already missionaries in the escritório he couldn't
leave. There were a lot of screams and Sister Scioli was having trouble
believing and breathing. There were a lot of tears and it broke my heart
for her. It was a lot and definitely a heavy morning. I told her to
take all the time she needed and let me know if I could do anything. She
changed and went to lay down but that didn't last long. She said that
she wanted to get out of the apartment and go to our district counsel
with President. We got all of our stuff and called an uber. I think it
was good for her to get put of the apartment but literally everyone
asked if she was okay. She was just super quiet and was a little more
reserved. I tried Mt best and took the blame a little too but I had no
idea what to do. District counsel was super good though and we talked a
ton about Faith IN Jesus Christ. It was really good but I was still very
very aware that Sister Scioli was hurting. We were eating lunch when
her mom said that they had arrived wt the funeral home and all that
stuff. We left lunch and went to down to the escritório so that she
could call. It was a lot and a few elders walked in so a few of them
knew. It was a long day. We ended up staying at the mission office so we
could contact people and have our interviews. We were able to contact
some people, well I did haha! And then it was time for our interviews. I
don't think I've ever wanted interviews to happen more in my whole
life. I had a whole list of questions but when I sat down I ended up
just word vomiting to President haha! He's just the best though and
listened to everything and gave me some advice. He told me he wasn't
expecting Sister Scioli's reaction and that he was glad I was there for
her. It was really good and I felt better about stuff after I talked to
him. I also got to have a mini interview with Sister Nordfelt! I love
her so so much and she's seriously like my mission mom. Oh! President
Nordfelt told me that he has a friend that's a PA and told me that if I
needed a mentor or fellowship or even a letter of recommendation that he
could introduce me to him. How wild is that?! We finally left the
mission office at 6:30pm and made it back to the apartment. It was a
really long day emotionally I can't lie.
Saturday was another longer day :) Let's back up a little though, I told
Sister Scioli to wake me up if she couldn't sleep and Let's just say
she kept that promise. She woke me up in the middle of the night so I
started to talk to her but then she fell asleep! To say I was a little
sleepy on Saturday would be an understatement haha! It's all good though
:) Saturday we had a super fun lunch with the little old lady in our
ward and her family. Her house smells like old lady too! It was good to
get out of the apartment and talk a little bit with members. Saturday we
also planned our Zone Conference training and we actually used a lot of
what President Nordfelt talked about on Friday. I just hope that it'll
go over well this next week :) We also had some solid street contacting!
It was so good and I think the Lord was putting more people in our
caminho to help Sister Scioli;) We also fulfilled our bucket list item
to pet a horse! He was hurt on his ear so I was nervous he was gonna be
angry with us but he laid down and we were able to pet him ;) We also
ran into a lady that was trying to give him some water and ended up
getting her number and inviting her to church. It was just a solid lily
moment ;) We came back to the apartment and made some calls but one of
our friends has the same name as Sister Scioli's aunt and we were gonna
talk about the Plan of Salvation.... that lesson was on me. After we
called her Sister Scioli called her mom to talk a little bit and I had
some time to prep my talk for Sunday. Oh yeah, I'm speaking on Sunday
haha!
Sunday was just another say full of much needed miracles! :) God is so
so good! For starters my talk didn't go too bad and our members were
super sweet and told me that it was good haha! But that wasn't wasn't
the best part! When we got to the capela there was this guy sitting
there and we thought he was from the Elders but we didn't know for sure
so we went up to talk to him. Turns out he lives in our area and just
decided to come to church.... what?! He recently moved here and was
passing by. We got his contact info and sat with him. His name is Felipe
and he seems super open! He stayed for everything too! While we were
sitting in RS we got a message from one of friends saying that he was
coming. We only had 15 minutes left of church but what can you do? He
showed up and told us that he was working and that he would for sure be
on time next week. But he did give me this awkward side hug and then
proceeded to give me and Sister Scioli flowers to remember our moms....
okay then that's for sure a first haha! We then walked back into church
(now with flowers haha!) and sang a quick song for the irmãs for mothers
day. Imagine 4 missionaries who don't know how to sing, singing in
front of everyone haha! Sunday we also had a super yummy lunch with one
of our favorite families! It's our stake President and he's just the
best :) We even got to meet his brother in law and he's so cool! Kinda
hippie but so fun! We mostly just had some weekly planning and a few
people for media referencias, nothing too crazy. Im glad that I got to
call and talk to you though! It's always good when I get to call a
little bit more ;) I can't wait to talk to you guys! I love you forever
and for always 