Phone Call Home: Monday, May 23, 2022
It is here. And this morning I am a bawling mess of emotions. Thankfully I held myself together enough to take her call and listen to her as she discussed what is next for her. Sister Garcia is officially entering her final transfer. This means she is on her last six (6) weeks as a missionary!
Today was hard for Sister Garcia because a LOT is happening. They received a phone call last night from President Nordfelt so he could lay out how today will go with Sister Scioli heading home tomorrow. This was like what time she needed to get an Uber arranged and what time she needed to be at the mission home and what not. All of that plus it was news for Sister Garcia that she is not staying where she is but instead she is being transferred and they (her and Sister Scioli) needed to prepare their apartment to close because President Nordfelt is closing down the area for Sisters. This is such hard and sad news for Sister Garcia! They have worked tirelessly and even marked someone for baptism that they will now have to hand off to the Elders to finish up with.
Let's start with the transfer news...Sister Garcia is feeling as though President Nordfelt doesn't trust her to stay where she is for six more weeks in hopes that numbers will change, baptisms will be marked, etc. She is struggling with closing an area and is putting a lot of that on herself. She will be going to this new area to still be an STL but she will be in a trio as her new companion, Sister Bradford, will be training a new missionary who is set to arrive to the mission on Monday. This to me says that President Nordfelt needs his strongest missionaries to go oversee the training of the new missionaries arriving who will be taking over the mission as so many are leaving. (There are a total of 12 missionaries leaving tomorrow with Sister Scioli alone!) Sister Garcia isn't sure she wants to listen to or believe me as I talk through all of this with her and that is okay. She is feeling some of the hurt of her hard work being closed and I can validate and appreciate that. She is living 100% inside of all of that right now where I simply just see the outside part of it. :) Sister Garcia also learned that Sister Bradbeer will be going to be with Sister Jones and is super worried there as well. Sister Jones is hard. She is the one who was in the bathroom for over an hour last week on exchanges when Sister Garcia was with her and her language just hasn't been a priority so she is just tricky. Sister Garcia is thrilled that President Nordfelt trusts Sister Bradbeer to go be with her but she is worried. I tried to point out that clearly there is a domino affect of good that Sister Garcia has done in order for President Nordfelt to trust Sister Bradbeer. I mean, it was Sister Garcia who trained Sister Bradbeer afterall right? So...he knows that the work ethic and the progression of a missionary that has taken place in Sister Bradbeer is because of the early influence and example of Sister Garcia. Right now though it doesn't matter what you say or what can be pointed out. Sister Garcia has a bit of a heart break going on and I will totally validate and hear her out on all of it. (Hopeful that one day she will be able to see through the heavy and realize the amazing work she has done and will continue to do these final 6 weeks like I do.)
The other part of this transfer news that is hard is knowing she has to say goodbye to sweet Sister Scioli. She has an upset stomach, nerves on a high alert, she is anxious, and just overall sad. These two have worked so hard together and made some fabulous memories that having to say goodbye knowing that she is headed home, I cannot even imagine. For a brief minute she jumped on our call and I was able to snag this photo and immediately I had tears just streaming! These two are definitely trying to make the best out of what will be hard day for each of them.
In the aftermath and taking a deep breath, Sister Garcia has a full week ahead of her. Today she says goodbye and then she herself will get an Uber and head to her new area to meet up with Sister Bradford. The two of them will acclimate and then on Wednesday head back into the mission office to pick up the new arriving Sister missionary that Sister Bradford will be training. They will head back (again, another 45 minutes or so) to the new area and help her get all settled in and work on Thursday to only turn back around on Friday to go into the mission office or President's home for MLC. That is a lot of travel if you ask me and a ton of back and forth! Weeks like this will only make this transfer fly by.As we said our goodbyes today I really had to compose myself. I had tears just waiting to pour out of my eyes! I miss this girl of mine something fierce and I am so dang ready to have her home and to be able to wrap my arms around her and hug her. On the other hand my sadness is that this time for her is coming to an end. So much so that Brother Francis informed me yesterday that her mission has been paid in full! It is a reality that it is just a blink of an eye and she will be back! I cannot even stand typing that without getting all sorts of antsy and excited in my stomach. This mission has been a huge blessing for Kaitlyn, Sister Garcia. I have been privileged to watch her grow within herself and find some confidence that didn't originally exist and she continues each day to add to that. I have been blessed to be carried along the way of this experience with her and I will eternally be grateful to her for allowing me that piece.
I cannot believe we are at this point already and that the light at the end of the tunnel for our first missionary is actually in site! I will continue to wait anxiously for travel plans and keep this girl in our prayers and thoughts as she finishes strong. Keep up all you are doing! I am here waiting as patiently as I can for you. I love you to the moon and back!
Mom
