Travel Begins: July 5, 2022 - Recife to Sao Paulo

The day is finally here! You are actually for realsies coming home and you start your travel TODAY! You have NO idea just how freaking excited I am about this! I am anxious as heck and not sure how to feel about most of any of it but it all gets wiped out when the excitement takes over. :) 

We were at the cabin when your first message came in but I was asleep. You sent it at 3:25am Utah time. I realize it was 6:25am Brazil time but I wasn't awake and totally bummed that I missed it. As soon as I saw it I sent one back and we were able to chat a little here and there. I got this picture and it immediately set off all the feel good feelings. You were clearly gearing up to head home!

Sister Garcia and Sister Zaugg

You told me that sleep hasn't come easy for you the last couple of days which I can imagine and validate 100%. There must be so many different emotions going on. I worry about you and so I asked if you were sure you wanted people to come by Wednesday night after you are released to visit. You seem to still be good with it so we will move forward. You told me that you got bags checked, through security, and even got selected as the random security check! I laugh so hard at this because it happens without fail EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! I am glad it is not something new and you could just roll with it. :) We also talked about the masks you are all wearing. You were so excited to learn that once you got to the US you wouldn't need one! Best news ever. Seriously, you will be stoked to not have to wear one of those and I cannot wait for that for you. 

You sent a small clip of a video showing me that there are 5 other missionaries traveling with you to Sao Paulo. I am again, grateful you aren't traveling alone. You told me that this first leg of your flight would be a quick one and I am glad for you for that. You deserve quick right out the gate. And once we get this first leg done...the rest can follow suit and then you will be home! 

You had inflight Wifi so we visited some while you flew. You told me you were writing in your journal and catching Scioli up on all the details. Which by the way I love. She recently messaged me on the Facebook and told me that she cannot wait to video call with you again. She misses you a lot. I am so glad you were companions. I adore her. All of the messages I sent you were actually Brooklyn texting them. I was driving home from the cabin so she was in charge of that. :) We talked about where you want to do lunch when you get home. You weren't sure and said everyone always says Chic fil A but we decided to do a sit down instead. I threw out some options and for now you are good with Cheesecake Factory. We will plan on that and see if that is still what you are feeling tomorrow. 

You shared with me the message you got from your Dad and his feelings of not being in the loop with your return. You have no idea how sad this makes me. I wish he could see the damage was done a long time ago when he controlled every move you made when you were younger. I wish he could see all of the hurt he has put you through and maybe then he would understand why you have had to keep him at bay. I am sorry this is even something you have had to deal with on your mission at all. Especially as you get ready to come home. You told me that you told President Nordfelt that your mission had become like a safe bubble and you didn't want to lose that. I can imagine it has been the best buffer of all time! I hope and pray that you will remember the feelings you have had knowing that you were in control of the relationship there and will be able to move forward healthy and on terms you are comfortable with. 

I think the best part of this conversation though was when you talked about your mission tag. You made me laugh when you told me that President Nordfelt was at church on Sunday and you protected it like crazy thinking he was there to take it from you! So funny. I know that the moment you are released and you take your tag off for one final time it will hurt your heart more than you know. I imagine the emotions and the feels will be all over the place. This has been your badge these last 18 months and never not once have you not represented the name of our Savior who you carried each day there. Your mission tag will forever be a tangible item that you can hold onto and remember all the hard work and good you did as a missionary. 

Quickly after, you told me you had landed in Sao Paulo. You assured me you would find something to eat and then you went quiet. I am sure you were busy getting food or finding where you needed to be next so I waited to see what would come next from you. :) 

I love you for forever and for always,

Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Talk: Sunday, July 10, 2022

Week 1 Email: I have a new Mom